West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

P.M.U. Section

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P.M.U. Section
    Posted: 21 November 2008 at 3:54pm

I'm hereby establishing the poor man's upgrade section. Consider this the place to be if you want to up performence for less than a hundred bucks per item. Do-it-yourself upgrades are fair game too. Here's the basic upgrades I've used that cost very little:

K&N Air Filter. Not a massive power adder, but for $50 it's not half bad. Also slightly improves mileage.

NGK Iridium Sparks. Again pulling in at a classy $50, these ones, in my humble opinion, do a much better job at burning than the stock plugs. You can expect a little more power and a little better mileage, and much better throttle response.

MSD Distributor. I've found a number of used ones for $50 dollars, and down in the US a new one for the Fiero retails at $90 (just across the border in Sumas, at the NAPA right near the border). Like the Spark Plugs, except mild performence, mileage and throttle response increases.

MSD Super-Red or NAPA Premium Blue Wires. At $50 for a set, these wires simply eliminate the weak point in the ignition system, the wires, by using super-conductor wires. Same result as the above two.

High Quality Ignition Coil. Sadly I've forgotten it's name, but if you phone NAPA for the Fiero high performence coil, they'll present you with a $80 product which is also slightly better for power and mileage.

Sadly these are the only cheap tricks I know, please share your own ideas too!

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 4:28pm

Here try this info on for size.

Just wanted announce a new parts place that a few members have found and have been keeping them busy with all of our questions.    Performance Parts Centre in Langley seems to have some of the best prices going and some of the most knowledgeable staff around.

Well the list starts like this.

K&N Air Filter for V6  Fiero $27  other places $60+

RED MSD Blaster II Coil PN 8226 for 85-88 V6 or 85-86 4cly  $47 other places $60-70

MSD Cap and Rotor Bright Red with Brass Contacts PN 8430 Fits 85-88 V6 $26 after tax.   <>(Group buy from the club of 10x or more $20 including tax)

MSD  6AL with Rev Control $ 209.23

RED MSD 8.5mm Red Superconductor Sparkplug Wires PN 31189 "CUT TO FIT" These have to be cut and assembled by the end user.   $ 82.92

MSD 8mm Blue Ready to install Sparkplug Wires PN 3172 41.64

Lowering Springs 84-87 All Cars Suspension Tech  P# 60120  $220.95

ADJ Fuel Pressure Regulator. PN 512-501 Fits 85-88 V6  Holly, Polished Aluminum can be adjusted with plenum on the car, $117.52  other places $150

Prothane Poly Bushings

Pontiac Fiero

CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS

84-88 Frontt. C-Arm Bushing Kit, w/o Shells 7-207   63.83

84-87 Rear. C-Arm Bushing Kit, w/o Shells 7-304    35.83

MOTOR & DRIVE TRAIN

84-87 Engine Cradle Mount Kit 7-502  57.11

84-88 Engine Torque Strut Bushing Kit, 4 Cyl. 7-501 23.51

85-86 Engine Torque Strut Bushing Kit, 6 Cyl 7-501 23.51

TRAILING ARM BUSHINGS, REAR

88 Rear Link Trailing Arm Bushing Kit 7-305  75.03 

SWAY BAR BUSHINGS, FRONT

84-87 Sway Bar Bushing Kit, 23mm Bar 19-1122 15.76

SWAY BAR END LINKS, FRONT

84-87 End Link Kit 19-408 17.91

TOTAL KITS

84-87 Total Kit 7-2034 117.59

Most  prices at the Performance Parts Centre are about 20-30% Less some are even 50% less than there competitors.   Note that Performance Parts Centre is just that a Performance Parts store, not a tune up shop for ball joints or brakes or what not.  But if you need Cam's Lifters, Nitrous, Ignition parts or anything along those lines you should really drop them a line and get a quote from them, it could save you a lot of money.

Performance Parts Centre, 19889 Fraser Hwy. Langley B.C. V3A 4E1

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 9:43pm
Ok, not everything was below $100, but even still, good find!
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 10:01pm
It wasn't exactly a find, I created the web page for the club.  I went down one day with a notepad and paper and got all the prices and part numbers from them, scanned in the guy that helped me, business card and put the site up for the club.   Its a list of common parts and prices that we use on the cars.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2008 at 6:54am
Oh, sooper dooper! =)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic