West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New version of ALDLView just released

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New version of ALDLView just released
    Posted: 24 November 2008 at 6:07pm

As the topic heading states, a new version of ALDLView has just been released by Cliff Pennock. The thread at PFF is Here. The direct download is Here.

This is a great little utility for anyone running WinALDL.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 6:21pm

I'll have to go and grab that.  Seeing as I am having a nightmare with Pauls car, this should come in Handy. 

It seems like the previous mechanic just decided to cut wires randomly.  More electrical issues than a Fiat and an MGB combined.  

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 6:35pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

It seems like the previous mechanic just decided to cut wires randomly.

An excellent case for bringing back capital punishment.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 6:42pm
On top of the issues I am having with the code 42, the wires for the MAP sensor were cut and just 3 bare wires hanging loose, the wires for the Intake Air Temperature sensor were cut and bare wires laying loose, several junction points were just kinda hanging there.  3 missing ground points.  On the ECM Ground in the cabin, the Amp for the Stereo, and the CD Changer, were both stacked onto the ECM ground wire.    Just freaking nuts.  Sorry to rant.  Good news is the car now runs and drives, for the first time in over 3 years.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 7:47pm

Is there a "history" of this Fiero posted anywhere, and/or who the people are in its past/present?

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 8:14pm
The first shop went bankrupt and had legal issues to do with uhm, lets call it questionable parts.  He had to sue them for I believe $12,000 he had paid them.  He won the case, but you can't get blood from a stone.  The 2nd place he took it to, honestly did try, but after a year of having the car admitted it was over their head.  I am not sure if it was the first or 2nd place that caused all the major issues, but suffice it to say, you don't have to worry about running into them.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 8:37pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

He had to sue them for I believe $12,000 he had paid them.

Is this just a run-of-the-mill Fiero? What would $12,000 have been spent on?

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 9:53am

They were suppose to be doing an engine swap.  I don't know the exact details, however the motor that is in the car now, is a really well done 2.8 (2.9 after boaring) Very tight clean motor, everything has been ceramic coated or powder coated.  Even the brackets and engine mounts were powder coated. 

Just a side note to anyone thinking about powder coating stuff.  Normally a single engine ground to chassis and engine ground to body is enough.  But that is not enough when your parts cant pass a ground through the powder coated parts.   The alternator case can't pass a clean ground through the powder coated alternator bracket, I had to run 4 extra ground wires to compensate for all the coatings on everything.  I am almost ready to drill a tiny hole and insert a small screw with a ground wire in the exhaust near the O2 Sensor, as I don't think it is getting a clean ground either.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 9:22pm
You can also drill a hole between the two parts and stuff a screw between them.  That'll break off the coating, and link the parts.

swashburn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote swashburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 5:03pm
you should still get a ground with your o2 senor through the threads of the senor. I haven't seen a coating that can stand up to that.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 6:14pm
There's another route to go that I'm going to do on the 350 swap I'm doing right now - convert to a 4 wire O2. 

You then have the one stock wire, a separated ground wire (attach to the block or whatever), then two wires that go to any switched 12V source. 

This brings the heat in the sensor up way faster (vs letting the exhaust gasses do the job), and then maintains that constant heat giving you better accuracy.  Also, when your decell enleanment kicks in, you still get a reading when it turns off (no fuel - no heat - no reading!).

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic