West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water Pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Pump
    Posted: 28 November 2008 at 3:45pm

I was hoping one of you could help me. My car recently began over-heating, especially quickly when it was moving slowly or not-at-all. Seeing as how speed managed to keep it cool, I vetoed the idea that the radiator was to blame (although I suppose that's the next thing to look out for), which left me staring down at the water pump. Pretty much, all I'm wondering is:

Based upon this generalized statement, does it sound like a mangled water pump? The belt is fine, and the weep hole is ok, although there's not much pressure is the system, it's completely topped up and I can occasionally hear a rough, scratchy noise from behind when the engine is shut off.

If so, does anyone know what's necessary to replace a water pump? Should I not try to do it at home?

If it is possible to do at home, could anyone help me out a little?

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2008 at 8:45pm
     If you are a half decent mechanic, you can do it at home with Basic power tools.  Just make sure you have a full socket set and lots of time.   It can be done in as short as 2hrs by a person that knows how to do it.  However for a first timer, give yourself a full weekend to learn how to do it.  
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2008 at 9:13pm
Sounds sooper dooper. Thanks a ton! Any chance you think it is indeed the water pump?
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2008 at 11:51pm

Romeo, you need to be following This thread at PFF.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2008 at 12:58am

Hm... I don't know. I mean, the coolant lines do get hot, which they claim is a sign to look somewhere else, but I swore it was that bloody pump. Like I said, every now and then I hear a thump (not a backfire) come from where the waterpump is located approximately. Oh well, I have one on order, and even if it's something totally different and my pump is fine, I'll only be out $50. I just pray it's not the radiator. Although more and more, I'm starting to suspect it is (The radiator will start to steam up if the car overheats for a couple of minutes).

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2008 at 3:59pm
Hey, I have the pump now if anyone could explain roughly what to do, I'd appreciate it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic