Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Capt Fiero's new 87GT Project Car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 9:06pm
Hot Dang Steve, if I vent it correctly I might be able to use the nose vents to let the trapped air off the radiator.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 10:13pm

I just gotta add my comments on this nose.

I think the nose is quite distinctive as it is. I like it very much with the black rib continuing around the front. It looks more "finished" this way. When the rib is removed from the nose, it looks odd where the rib just suddenly stops on the sides of the car at the front wheel wells.

Here's an Aero nose on which the "rib" has been added. Looks very sharp to me.

And here is how I'd keep the nose if this was my Fiero, although I might try and do something with the way the license plate mounts (and the bottom leading edge could be altered as in the examples posted above).

I really like the look of this nose, never seen another one like it.

Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 11:55pm

Well since everyone else is havin a go at it, I'll jump on the PS bandwagon lol

PS those cables look identical to the Dickman ones i picked up earlier this year.

1986 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 DIS, 5 spd, Full Polyurethane Suspension, Rear Coil-overs
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 12:26am

Austin, I like the extended indentation between the turn signals.

The only problem (as usual with these cars), where should the front license plate go?

Fiero Zen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero Zen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 1:14am
Its a SAD fact that we have to wear a front reg plate in BC. Has anyone ever attempted to design a front nose with the reg plate built in. Rather than added on as an after thought?
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift
That is why it is called the Present
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 3:51pm

I love Austins extended indentation look.  However making that would be a nightmare.   I think a cross between Austins and Steve's would be really awesome.   I am working on getting an overhead Crane setup in the garage to make the swaps easier and faster.   My boss has a 2 ton chain hoist that he said I could have, and even offered up all the metal to build a steel A-Frame.  Just he does not have time to build it and I am about as useless as Tits on a Bull when it comes to welding.   The nose is going to come off the car during the swap as it would be crushed on the ground if we lifted the back high enough to pull the engine out.

thanks for all the Photo Chops guys.  It gives me a lot of info to play with.

Oh a question, for all the guys that know about fiberglassing.  What are the expensive chemicals that a person would need.  The reason I asked is my boss / client, made a special request for me to come out to a job site today.  It was a bankruptcy of a place that happen to do fiberglass cockpits and stuff.  There are literaly pallets and pallets of 5-10 gallon pales and even 50 gallon drums of chemicals, the ones I saw quickly were, Resin and Gel Coat.  Acetone, and a few others.  I asked about them, and he told me to take whatever I wanted.  It was actually a problem for him, as he has to dispose of hazardous chemicals.  Which is fairly costly.  I'm not going to be grabbing any of the 50 gallon drums, but a couple of the 5 gallon pails might come in handy if I knew what to grab.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 4:38pm
If you can find out exactly what is there then please let me know. If they are up for grabs then I would like to ask that you grab some for me because there is some fiberglassing and other boat work in the future for me and a friend.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 5:37pm
Well I have had a couple of requests, it seems like the stuff will be usefull.  When I get there tomorrow, there was one specific skid I was looking at that had an assortment of stuff.  I'll try to find some pallet wrap and grab the entire skid.  Maybe I'll drive the 88 in with the trailer on it.    I don't know exactly what stuff I'll need, but I will see about getting extras to share.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 6:47pm
anyone know what kind of shelf life those chemicals have? i might wanna grab some, but it will be awhile before i make something.
grokan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote grokan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 8:31pm
just curious, how much is the fine for not having a plate on the front, cuz my buddy has been doing it for 6 months and no cop has done anything about it and i wanna run no plate on the fiero cuz it looks soo much better
Lets get it sideways
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by grokan grokan wrote:

just curious, how much is the fine for not having a plate on the front, cuz my buddy has been doing it for 6 months and no cop has done anything about it and i wanna run no plate on the fiero cuz it looks soo much better

Failure to display front or rear plate:
$109 fine, no points.  (my dads a cop :P )
Kyng_72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kyng_72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 10:16pm
CaptFiero Resin would be usefull for doing fibreglass repairs and the gelcoat is what you would need to line molds with if you were going to make a mold of parts it ends up being shiny like fibreglass body kits
as the average human male life span is around 72 and I am now 36 can I officially consider my fiero as my midlife crisis car?
Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 11:49pm

Hmm i'd definately be interested in some resin too if there's some available.

I've seen different types depending on application waxed & unwaxed.  Unwaxed is ideal if you are building multiple layers you dont need to sand/prep between layers.  I think waxed gives a smoother finish when dry?  Dont forget they need hardeners/catalyst to dry and cure properly.  Acetone is like a reducer and used as cleaning solvent. 

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2008 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

There are literaly pallets and pallets of 5-10 gallon pales and even 50 gallon drums of chemicals, the ones I saw quickly were, Resin and Gel Coat.  Acetone, and a few others.  I asked about them, and he told me to take whatever I wanted.  It was actually a problem for him, as he has to dispose of hazardous chemicals.  Which is fairly costly.  I'm not going to be grabbing any of the 50 gallon drums, but a couple of the 5 gallon pails might come in handy if I knew what to grab.

It seems to me that club members who do a lot of body work such as Clynt and John Carlo would know what to do with this stuff.

It would be a shame to simply throw it all away if someone could make good use of it.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2008 at 6:56am
Well the trailer is hitched to the car and I am going to bring home whatever I can.  I don't want everyone to get there hopes up.  We shall see what I end up wtih.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 6:51am

Well I meant to post these last night, so you guys new I wasn't kidding.  The bad news is all the small containers were either contaminated, or expiried or just unsure of the quality, so I left it behind.  The huge 50 gallon drums were for the most part still sealed.  Several were full and the seals had not been broken yet on the drums.

However at 220kg (500lbs) per drum, and techniclly I am not even allowed to transport them, due to Hazardous matirial labels, and Frankly I had no way to offload them once I got them someplace.  As much as it killed me, I had to leave them behind.   It would take someone with a Hyab (Small truck with Crain attatched) to move them.     Well here are the pics.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
85SEnochie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 85SEnochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 1:08pm

Here you go had to give it a go too  I like the light

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 1:13pm

That looks awesome.

Thank You.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 1:19pm

As soon as I locate an engine hoist or overhead crane, I am going to set the date for the tear down.

Gonna need several buckets to sort parts into.  May even get an airline splitter so we can have multiple guns plugged in at the same time. (I know only use one at a time, but will be easier than passing the airline around.)

Oh MAN I have waited for this day for too long.  Been over a year since the car was licensed as a driver.  I was close 6 months ago, however during testing of the replacement trans axle, I blew the diff in the alley behind my house.   

For those that help, I'll even supply Beer, Pizza, and if you need an odd Fiero part I might be able to find it in my storage for you.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 11:23pm
I have a friend with one. Name the date, I'll grab you one.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
  Share Topic