Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Capt Fiero's new 87GT Project Car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 11:50pm
Well lets shoot for Dec 19th-22nd I know its awful close to Christmas.  Anyone else have any plans for Dec 20th. 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2008 at 12:54am

The 19th is my birthday (I'm old so birthdays don't matter anymore), but I could probably make myself available on the 20th if that's going to be the big day.

Kyng_72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kyng_72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2008 at 1:01am
if it's the 22nd I could drag my ass over from Nanaimo if someone could give me directions from the ferry.
as the average human male life span is around 72 and I am now 36 can I officially consider my fiero as my midlife crisis car?
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2008 at 3:18am
That engine hoist, can it be picked up early.  I have my trailer for my 88 and I can go get it.  I'll even offer up some beer money if he would like.  I am almost tempted to go and get the one at Princess Auto for $279.  Even thought about finding out if people want to get together and throw in like 50 bucks a person, and buy one to share amongst people.  I can store it here when people need it they can pick it up, or even if it is a quick drop and swap, can do it here in the driveway.   I am just getting anxious to do the swap.  Glen and I are going to the storage locker tomorrow to get parts for his Fiero, I'll probably take the trailer with me and pick up some of the parts I want. (black fenders like new, black Fastback Decklid, maybe even the spare black doors I have. 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Kyng_72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kyng_72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2008 at 4:28am
hey Capt. Fiero I think I have a nickname for your fiero being a fan of monster movies I was thinking Fierostein as in Frankenstein, especially with a big Cowl Hood.
as the average human male life span is around 72 and I am now 36 can I officially consider my fiero as my midlife crisis car?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2008 at 4:37am

This is the hood treatment it will get.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2008 at 10:37am

So Nigel dropped by yesterday to have me look over his light conversion.  Well if you come here you never know if you are going to get put to work.  LOL.  He helped me swap the black hood and black decklid onto the 87.

I think his exact words were, "Its Horney Looking"   I think the cowl flows nice with the nose. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
85SEnochie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 85SEnochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2008 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

So Nigel dropped by yesterday to have me look over his light conversion.  Well if you come here you never know if you are going to get put to work.  LOL.  He helped me swap the black hood and black decklid onto the 87.

I think his exact words were, "Its Horney Looking"   I think the cowl flows nice with the nose. 

SWEET and RANDY!  Looks good

Fiero Zen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero Zen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2008 at 10:30pm

Dave,

My exact words " WOW, that looks freaking HORNEY." I also said that it says, "Don't mess with me," to every young suped up acura/civic driver when they slowly pull up next to you at the traffic lights, having noticed you are a Fiero from the back, but don't really get it till they see the hood-scoop and realize that you most have a MONSTER  engine. This gets them so confused because they start to internally challenge themselves. Isn't the engine supposed to be in the rear??? By that time the lights turn to green, and its all over -
ha ha.

FieroZen 

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift
That is why it is called the Present
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2008 at 11:16pm

Mr Zen you actually bring up a good point that I think I should clear up.  I get asked "WHY" do I have a cowl hood on the front of a mid engine car.  Well their are 2 reasons.

1st being performance.  At speeds exceeding 180-200kph, (which happens every few days when I am driving my V8) The front end of a Fiero gets really light.  Due to excessive air pressure under the front radiator compartment.  To the point that the air pressure can actually snap your headlight doors open and in extreme cases snap them off.  So the cowl allows air to escape.

2nd is the sheer style of it.  My 85GT has always been a "rat rod" As anyone that has met me or spent any amount of time with me, I'd rather have a beat up, spray painted car that I can put up against a 40,000 Mustang Cobra in a street race any day of the week.  Spending $150 on sail panels makes me think 3 or 4 times over. "Do I really need it" however dropping $300 on a new ignition system for the car that lets me get a few more HP out of it, or spending 16hrs working on the engine, I don't even think twice.  

The other side benefits to the hood vents, especially a cowl like this one, is the windshield now gets a steady blast of heated air over it, which keeps ice and frost off, and even helps to burn off water just that much quicker.   My car runs cooler, faster and performs better at freeway speeds.  To me thats really all that matters.   Now making it look cool in the process and maybe even spending a bit on dress up, it cool with me too.  I just won't ever make the #1 issue on my car the looks.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 4:38pm

Well my goal of getting this done before the first snow just didn't work out.  I do have a heater garage, but its not big enough to get both cars in, plus the engine hoist and still have room to move around, let alone play mix and match with cradles.  I am going to work on small bits when the weather permits and I will send out a big email when I think there is going to be good enough weather to attempt this.

I did start taking parts off of the 85 yesterday when it was sunny.  Finding things that I had done over the years like wire in Computer Molex plugs into the harness so I could run Computer 12" neon tubes under the dash, and wiring for the 3 plug 12v DV outlets, and T-Taps my god T-Taps, there must be 100 T-Taps in the harness all over things.  Waylon introduced me to T-Taps a few years ago, and I went nuts on them.

David

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Mr Zen you actually bring up a good point that I think I should clear up.  I get asked "WHY" do I have a cowl hood on the front of a mid engine car.  Well their are 2 reasons.

1st being performance.  At speeds exceeding 180-200kph, (which happens every few days when I am driving my V8) The front end of a Fiero gets really light.  Due to excessive air pressure under the front radiator compartment.  To the point that the air pressure can actually snap your headlight doors open and in extreme cases snap them off.  So the cowl allows air to escape.

2nd is the sheer style of it.  My 85GT has always been a "rat rod" As anyone that has met me or spent any amount of time with me, I'd rather have a beat up, spray painted car that I can put up against a 40,000 Mustang Cobra in a street race any day of the week.  Spending $150 on sail panels makes me think 3 or 4 times over. "Do I really need it" however dropping $300 on a new ignition system for the car that lets me get a few more HP out of it, or spending 16hrs working on the engine, I don't even think twice.  

The other side benefits to the hood vents, especially a cowl like this one, is the windshield now gets a steady blast of heated air over it, which keeps ice and frost off, and even helps to burn off water just that much quicker.   My car runs cooler, faster and performs better at freeway speeds.  To me thats really all that matters.   Now making it look cool in the process and maybe even spending a bit on dress up, it cool with me too.  I just won't ever make the #1 issue on my car the looks.

Unless I'm woefully mistaken, Cowl Hoods also allow more air to flow through the radiator (as it exits after going through, rather than lingering and "clogging" the inside) which in turn cools the engine, also being beneficial for performence. I know that's why large-displacement front-engined drag car do them that way.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 11:31pm
Yep car runs much cooler.  Not that it ran hot in the first place, just runs cooler now.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2008 at 12:00am
Alright, go me then. lol
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 9:00pm
     Well as previously stated, the Dec 19th - 21st is a NO GO. Please don't show up at my house expecting Beer and Pizza and Power Tools Its too friggen COLD and Damn It, I really wanted to do it this weekend.  Winter is not fair, can't someone go kick mother nature in the panties and tell her to keep it fall just for another month.  I'll probably move this thread in the build section and then update with small things that I can do during the times that are at the least above Zero during the daylight hours.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
lolskylar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lolskylar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2008 at 1:24am
Dudee congratulations for 300$ you have a nice car.
Really nice nose. I'm not going to say that i am not
slightly envious. nice find, someones back yard? (where
i found mine :)
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2008 at 9:03am
Nope an apartment complex and the owner was going to get fined $100 per week that the car sat in the complex un insured.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2008 at 2:36pm

A HUGE THANK YOU to Car-2-Lo, as we struck a deal that he would have my stock 86GT Black deck lid with stock spoiler and some trim parts in trade I took his modded primerd black decklid with rear scoop. I made the drive out to his place this morning with trailer in tow and we swapped parts.  My original plan was to stash the parts till spring and install them.   However me being me, I just HAD to see what they looked like on the car.   He had removed the spoiler and filled in the holes, but gave me excellent instructions on what bits to use and how to re-drill the holes.  I took my time mounted everything measured about 6 times to make sure it was perfect and drilled the holes.  Spoiler dropped right into place without me having to even enlarge the holes.  I think this is the first time I have drilled 4 holes and not had to enlarge them to make up for a wrong measurement, LOL.

Well there she is, all mounted and solid.  I don't have a trunk lock with keys yet, so I did not close it all the way.  I have steal a spare 4 plug connection from another decklid later and wire up the power trunk.   Man this baby is looking good.   This is the first time in the history of me owning a Fiero that I have done body mods before performance and suspension mods.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Kyng_72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kyng_72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2008 at 4:54pm
Bonus is that it seems to fit the theme of your car
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2008 at 12:18am
Yep thinking I might nickname the car "scoops" or "scoopy" or maybe slightly cooler and call it "Back Draft" because all the scoops are pointed backwards as extractor, rather than intakes. Well with the exception of the Holley Side Intake Scoop.  
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
  Share Topic