West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Capt Fiero's new 87GT Project Car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero Zen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2008 at 1:04am

David,

You could of course add a little Latin flavour yet with the same functional theme of "Back Draft" and perhaps name it:

"Validus Ventus"    

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift
That is why it is called the Present
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2009 at 7:27pm

Well I spent some time today out with the 85.  Forgive me for being a bit emotional on this post.  But here are some memories I came up with while taking things apart.
My Dash I painted Gloss Black over 5 years ago.

A computer Blue Neon Tube I installed to give a cool under dash glow.

3 in 1 power outlet I wired up, so Lisa and I charge our cell phones and laptop on long trips, which we did many many times.

I actually forgot about that sticker, I stumbled on them when I was new to BC at a cash converters.  Knowing they were normally 100 bucks a set, I grabbed these really quickly.

When I was 17 I installed my first stereo into this car.  Being a kid that did not know better, I had chopped all the wires.  Years later, I spent the time to solder and shrink wrap on a complete new harness to make it factory looking again. 

The end had broken on the dash plug, so I grabbed my dremel and was drilling a small hole in it, when all of a sudden the earth started to shake, stuff started falling off my shelves in the garage, I was like WHAT THE HECK.  It took me a second to realize we were having an Earthquake.  I don’t remember the year, but it was about 6 years ago when I was living in Fleetwood part of Surrey.

Thanks to Waylon showing me T-Taps, the little red wire taps you clip into a harness, I got quickly addicted to them, I was like an addict, always buying more, there must be over a 100 of them installed in the cabin alone.  Everything got installed with T-Taps, MORE T-TAPS.   Ehheheheee, T-Taps All Day Long.

More T-Taps

How do you install speaker wires without cutting the factory Harness, T Taps to the rescue.

I see a blue dingy thingy.  I would go a month having it out, then put it back in for a week, then pull it out, and around and around.  Putting it behind the carpet made it easy to find when I wanted to put it back in.

More T-Taps

Alarm Brain that Waylon installed probably 8 years ago, and still worked like new.

More T-Taps

Ever wonder what the Servo looks like that controls your A/C vents, this is only in cars that have A/C and eliminates the need for a slider to change vent locations.

Man what a mess.  But it’s all coming apart.

Wheels off, struts un-bolted, and hanging loose.

Rear bumper skin off, tail lights out.

Still a fair bit of snow on the ground here, thankfully we cleared the driveway really well, which gave it a head start on melting.

Good place to store body panels, tossed it down and just kinda when Whoosh, plop.

Blair made this steel mount and plate that goes on the trunk wall to keep the V8 from ripping itself out.   Before he made the mount, the engine would torque over so far that the alternator would hit the strut tower.

Hood Off, and started taking things apart.

Radiator removed, and will be put into Lisa’s car as hers is a brass/copper rad that is leaking.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2009 at 9:20pm
I'm glad you're moving on Capt'n, cause that 87GT looks damn good, even sitting there half covered in snow.
I wanna go fast.
Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2009 at 11:30pm
Good stuff Capt!  Looks like everythings going along great.  Just gotta love the satisfaction and how rewarding it is when a project starts to shape up

1986 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 DIS, 5 spd, Full Polyurethane Suspension, Rear Coil-overs
Fiero Zen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero Zen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 12:06am

Glad to see you've been able to get going, that snow and cold weather was fustrating to say the least.

March on - cheers Dave

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift
That is why it is called the Present
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 9:21am

I am probably going to go out and spend an hour or so on it today.  See if I can't get the entire body off of the car.   Minus the doors, as the doors won't be swapped until the last possible min.  The 85 is covered with the Wolf car cover, however its not completely water tight.

I'll try and post a few more pics later on tonight.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2009 at 6:46am

It,s sad to see an icon of WCF be dismantled but I know it's time. I have no doubt that most of it will live on in the new car. Keep up the good work.

ps- I call firsties on the test drive :)

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2009 at 3:18pm

Well worked on it for a couple hours today.

Both front fenders are off, both rocker panels, both rear lower 1/4 panels.  Un-hooked all the wiring and coolant lines, fuel lines and assorted bits.

Then jacked it up and supported it with stands on the frame, and proceeded to drop the engine/trans/cradle/exhaust.  The entire assembly is now on the ground.  I left it under the car with the cover over the entire package so the weather won't get to the exposed engine.  I am going to take the hoist and lift the back of the car up about 6ft and drag the cradle out probably tomorrow, then wheel the engine into the garage and start tearing apart the bits to be removed. I am going to use the cradle from the 85, however I am going to use the trans, cables and trans mounts from the 87.  I'll probably pressure wash the entire assembly and put on a fresh coat of TremClad then leave it to dry in the garage for a few days.    Depending on what the weather does, it might be another week before I get to start on the 87.     When I do start on the 87, I'll post up the date. 

Well here are the pics from today.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2009 at 5:41pm

Well here are the pics from today.  Managed to dislocate my shoulder while moving the cradle/engine/trans assembly into the garage.

I'll see how I am doing tomorrow after I go see the Doc.

A few notes, That section where the muffler is, that is the ENTIRE exhaust for the car.  Exits out the side of the car.

You can see the belt wrap on the alternator pully.  That bugger will never squeal. 

There are a lot of things to clean up before the engine is ready to go into the 87.   If my arm is buggered up, I'll probably start on the little things like rebuilding the headlights in the 87.   

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2009 at 6:04pm

The chrome wrap is called a starter blanket.  With that exhaust setup, I was cooking the starter if I got stuck in traffic.  The blanket is heat reflective.  Once I installed it, I never once had an issue of starter heat soak.  I think it was 20 bucks at Mopac in Langley.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
88FormulaFiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2009 at 10:41pm

wow, sorry to hear about your shoulder, any update from the doc? 

If you want another pair of hands or some extra muscles I have quite a bit of spare time thrursday though Sunday. let me know if you want some help. 

Ryan

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 12:45am

Ryan, on the forum email chat list we've been describing our various injuries. If we were horses I figure a couple of us would've been shot by now.  

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 7:06am
    I am actually feeling a fair bit better this morning. I think when the daylight comes out, I'll go and pop both headlight motors out, and bring em into the garage. I'll try to do a pictorial of the rebuild of 87/88 headlight motors.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 9:09pm

Well I am getting into a time pinch here.  The weather has been crap on every weekend, Glen is going to need his hoist back in 2 weeks,  so I am taking advantage of every sunny day.

I have a person coming over Wednesday Morning to buy a few of the extra parts I won't need.    So Tim, (with a broken arm) My with a bad shoulder and tweaked back, got to work on the car today.   Got the entire front cross member out and on the ground, got both headlight motors pulled, and a lot of little things yanked out.

The doors will be the last thing pulled from the car.

I am also looking for ways to remove the rear window.  Then get 2 pieces of clear Plexi stuff that will sandwich the window then hang it in the garage as a final memory of the car.

Well enough with the chat, here are the pics from Today we only spent about 2hrs.

This is the car on JackStands

Front Crossmember dropped as a unit.

The only un-repaired damage from a 60kph hit broadside into a Honda Civic.  I had to replace the impact beam, and use a pulled to straighting out the sheet metal under it.

What a shock Tower is suppose to look like.  (Right Side)

Hmm Whats Missing here.

Ah There it is, it really should be on the car. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 9:36pm
Everytime I've removed glass from a car I've used a tool with a hooked razor blade. I think I got it at Princess Auto. It slides around the window and then sits flush on it just skimming the edges of the glass doing the least amount of damage to the rubber.

It's pretty handy and works very well. I'll try to find a picture of what I'm talking about.

*EDIT* It looks something like this.

Pic

I wanna go fast.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2009 at 4:32am
I was planning to use the Wire method, but that looks intersting, Maybe I'll take a zip down to Princess tonight and see what they have.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2009 at 6:23pm

Ok so today was the day to pull the old engine out of the 87 and start prepping it for the V8.
             I got one hell of a surprise, I went to remove the wheels and there are wheel locks on, with NO KEY.  I called the previous owner and he informed me the key was stolen.   So I had to do it the long way.  Leaving the wheels on the car while removing everything.   (All you have to do is reach around the wheel, remove the 10mm calliper bolt for the brake hose and remove the 13mm bolt for the brake line to strut bracket.  You can leave the E-Brake lines on the callipers and just disconnect the Main E-Brake cable from the assembly on the rear of the cradle.    I am liking the new hood and decklid every time I see it.

Well enough chat, here are today spics.

Sorry I did not take any Pre jacked up pics. 
So the first pic, is the rear of the cradle lowered.

This is my ASSUME THE POSITION pose for all my engine swaps.

Nose getting a little close to the ground

Hood just seems to look good on there

At this point, I removed all the trim bolts in the side of the nose to let it flex a little bit.

Yikes,

Time to get down, err, UP to business

Man that was easy.  Into the garage it is.

I always use 2 hyd jacks under the cradle to skate it into the garage.

I think I need a bigger garage.  You can see the Caddy motor on cradle in the background.  I have to swap the Getrag onto the 4.9. 

Naked

The top of the taillight section is just over 6ft off the ground

I can’t wait to get this back into the car and start driving it.  Its going to be so nice to have a V8 burbling behind my head again.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust.  MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics     Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2009 at 6:55pm
Can you take a picture of the key'ed lug. Many keys are the same. I have 2 that might work for you. Or you can just heat it up, knock it off and replace the stud.
I wanna go fast.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2009 at 10:11pm

Well the previos owner came by tonight and with the use of a large hammer was able to get one locking lugnut off, he will by with friends tomorrow to try and get the remaining 3 wheels off.  The deal was I got the car for $300 but he wanted to keep his wheels. 

As promised here is today’s progress report.

I had to get that damn suspension out of the way.  So I removed the Toe Link, then popped the lower ball joint, and yanked it off.  

Success, the Trans is coming away from the engine.  Until the dam thing got stuck on the frigging inspection plate.

Used the hoist to keep the motor high enough to simply lift and slid the trans off of it.

You can see the massive heat scoring on the flywheel.  He said the car would not even move.

Sorry I did not take any pics of the Isuzu removal, but here it is off.  You can see the nice awesome Clutchnet clutch again.  Man it bites hard.  I love it.

That is the entire exhaust on my 4.9  Custom 2 piece Y-Pipe, into a large stainless bottle muffler and out to an old Camaro low profile tip.  It is really quite at idle, but LOUD as hell, when you wind the motor up.

Getrag Trans DIRTY AS HELL, That won’t do for my car, after 3 cans of engine degreaser and one can of Paint stripper it came clean.  I did screw up, the Paint stripper can, had a busted nozzle, so what does any idiot do when he is tired and frustrated, GETS A BIG HAMMER.  I stuff a nail in the top of the can, drappped a towel over the can and the nail.  Hit the nail down into the can, it didn’t hiss or anything.  So I grabbed the nail through the rag, and slowly started to pull it out, that’s when the can decided to start shooting.  I had my jacket on with my hoodie and my glasses and gloves.  Well the crazy spray managed to get onto a bit of my wrist where the jacket and sleeve were not covering.  Instantly started to burn.  But I was standing there with a can spraying stuff and I needed to get “said stuff” onto the trans housing.  I gritted my teeth and continued spraying down the trans with the paint stripper, as soon as I was done, I ran into the house to the sink and soaked my arm then washed it a few times.  Got a bit of a rash, but no major problems.  
I went back out, gave it a 2nd coat of degreaser and fired up the pressure washer.

Before

After

Anyone recognize this shifter linkage, is it one of Rodney’s.  I don’t think its stock.  Looks way to well done to be OEM.  Machined bits, with what looks like Rodney’s Oilite bushings.  I took lots of pics of it.

Even the clutch fork looks like it might be a newer one.  OEM style though.

I promised a shot of my garage computer work area.  I have everything I need out there.  Computer, smokes, fridge in other corner of garage.  
 Can you guess my desk chair.

There I peeled back the seat cover to give ya a hint.  You can see my main heater in the lower left corner of the pic.  It’s a 40,000 BTU Forced Air, Jet  A, Kerosene / Premium Diesel fuel heater.     It was just over 0C (32F) this morning, but in my garage it was a nice 23F (75F)

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 8:40am
Make sure you slip the release fork up a bit, then lube the area of the shaft that rides on the bushings.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>
  Share Topic