West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Driving at Night

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero Zen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driving at Night
    Posted: 06 December 2008 at 9:59pm

I'm Interested to know what members are doing as far as headlight setup is concerned.

Wet/raining/fog, poor visability. What do you have as a light set up to help you see.

I would appreciate feedback. Maybe my eyes are just getting old. Maybe it's the 22 year old windscreen?

I have the upgraded Bosch add on kit with 55w halogens

Had the headlights even aligned with a professional setup.

2nd question, does anybody know what would cause the interior instrument panel cluster wheel not to fuction and dim the lights?

Cheers - FieroZen

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift
That is why it is called the Present
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2008 at 10:54pm
   Well the first thing I do when it gets rainy is dump the blue head lights for some nice bright white ones.  The blue tint does exactly what it is suppose to and not reflect and cause glair.  However on our wet roads it does not reflect ENOUGH, I have actully turned my lights off and on again just to make sure they were even on.  You have the H4 conversion don't you?  If so just pick up some newer better white bulbs if not, ya might want to think about springing for the sulvania silver stars.  A bit pricey, but from what I have heard, they are worth it.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Fiero Zen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero Zen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2008 at 12:53am

Dave,

Yes...H4 is what I have. Not sure the colour of my bulb. I'll take a look tomorrow.

What about driving lamps, I know Lisa has them does she find them a help?

FieroZen

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift
Fiero Zen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero Zen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2008 at 4:01am

Does anyone know where I can buy these 2 function (fog/driving)lamps?

Right side of picture

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2008 at 5:42pm
Personally, I still use the stock headlights, but they're so old they're practically yellow. Instead, I just use high-beams 24/7. lol
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Fiero Zen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero Zen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2008 at 7:28pm

I managed to find a set of dual fog/driving lights, manufactured by Blazer - model: C6100K. Got them for $32.99 from Princess Auto in Coquitlam this afternoon. They look just like the posted picture above and press fit into the front bumper aperture for the front indicators.  Will install them to be multifunctional - Indicators/Fogs/ then seperate driving lights. I have already tested the fit - super snug. To achieve this, Blair provided me with a wiring diagram with relays for each light.

Dave and I went over what Blair provided and both agree that it will work. Keep you posted with pictures.

I also changed my headlight bulbs today. As I mentioned earlier in my posting, my headlights are terrible in the rain and fog. Well...I forgot that I had the bluest of blue H4 4000k 110/100 w bulb from PIAA. Fantastic in the summer, not in the winter. I changed then for the white only version - so far so good.

FieroZen.

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift
WARBOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote WARBOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2008 at 5:20pm

FieroZen...

I have the H4 conversion done in my PGT and i'm currently using the exact same 4100K PIAA Bulbs without any problems. Plus i have the 55W UltraWhite Foglights as well.

What kind of Housings are you using in your H4 conversion?

Fiero Zen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero Zen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2008 at 10:22pm

Warbot,

Good question, I'll check and get back to you. They are from Bosch, as part of a H4 conversion kit.

I found High beam ok, but low beam in the rain terrible.

Tonight I just came back from Brian's hse and the white H4 regular 55w H are a BIG improvement for me in the rain.

FieroZen

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift
WARBOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote WARBOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 5:17am

I was just curious because as i'm sure your well aware, housings can make all the difference.

I'm using the Eurolite 6X4 housings and have no problems at all.

But if changing the bulbs has helped you than that's what it's all about. Safety is #1

Fiero Zen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero Zen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2008 at 10:25pm

Found a picture of the proposed install for my Blazer combination fog/driving/indicators.

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift
Fiero Zen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero Zen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2008 at 10:26pm

Oh....yeah, not sure if I should mount them with indicators on the inside or outside?

Anyone know of any BC rules/regs about this???

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift
Kyng_72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kyng_72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2008 at 1:32am
looks wise I'd say mount the indicators on the outside, and seeing as many cars I see that have the driving/fog/indicator lights as what appears to be stock the indicators are on the outside.
as the average human male life span is around 72 and I am now 36 can I officially consider my fiero as my midlife crisis car?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic