West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

starter problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote johnking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: starter problem
    Posted: 03 January 2009 at 12:03pm
i have the 2.5 ltr 4 cyl. solinoid packed it in, put on a new one, now it seems like the starter gear isnst going far enough to catch the ring gear, any ideas ??? thx
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 12:30pm
I don't know too much about the 4 poppers as I have never owned one.  However on the V6 if the starter shim is not installed, it will have those exact symptoms.  You will hit the key and it will grind. Also if I remember correctly the 4cyl cars use a tail bracket on the back of the starter to keep it at the correct angle.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
johnking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote johnking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 2:25pm
i didnt remove the starter i just took the solinoid off and replaced it, did i miss something??
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 9:01pm
Have you seen a GM starter taken apart?  It's a LOT easier to visualize how the solenoid hooks back into the fork.

You might have just shoved the solenoid in wrong.

I'll assume that the starter is spinning, and that you can hear the thing 'clack' as it tosses the gear out?

johnking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote johnking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 6:05pm
yes it sounds like its not engaging fully
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 8:30pm
Well - I'm going to say pull the thing out (it's not hard!).
Hook up your battery to it with some jumper cables.
HANG ON TIGHT and stick an old screwdriver from the battery post, to the "S" terminal on the solenoid.
It should go WHACK and engage, with the pinion going all the way out until it slaps into the bushing. 
Needless to say, don't have fingers or anything else in there.  :D

This also gives you achance to inspect the pinion gear and see if the ends of the teeth are worn off.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 9:53pm

Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

HANG ON TIGHT...

Yeah, don't let it jump around.  

Get your foot on there and put some weight on it. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic