West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3800 TPI 4spd Auto into 86 Coupe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2008 at 4:12pm
any idea how much boost these engines can handle in stock form? I was pondering the idea of buying one of those 3.8 N/A's off that forum member and turboing (or possibly twinturbo'ing and running it through an auto trans).  
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2008 at 8:27pm
The best one to ask that question is Fast Fieros out of Dallis Texas. Generally 8 to 10 lbs boost is it before detonation occurs. There are ways around that but you loose steetability in the proses. For the 3800 na there said to handle about 400hp with vary little mods compared to the 500+ hp of the sc bottom end.
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2008 at 12:02pm
I really want to go for the L67, but i have yet to see one that has even remotely lower millage.  Off topic but Id like to find out how much power a cryotreated 4t65e-hd can handle.
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 3:32pm

The stock trans should be able to handle as much power as your likely to through at it. Cryo treating the clutch hubs will help but it's likely that a $2.00 item will be what kills your trans. For the price of a used trans you can go through a lot of stockers before you get to the price of a race trans.

As for the L67 Langley Discount Used Auto & Truck Parts ( 604-533-0122 ) has one with low km. They sold the blower to a Lotus guy but a blower can be had on E-Bay for around $600. I think they wont about $1,200. for the engine.

There is also a series 1 on Craig's list complete for that price. 

kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Blair Blair wrote:

The stock trans should be able to handle as much power as your likely to through at it. Cryo treating the clutch hubs will help but it's likely that a $2.00 item will be what kills your trans. For the price of a used trans you can go through a lot of stockers before you get to the price of a race trans.

As for the L67 Langley Discount Used Auto & Truck Parts ( 604-533-0122 ) has one with low km. They sold the blower to a Lotus guy but a blower can be had on E-Bay for around $600. I think they wont about $1,200. for the engine.

There is also a series 1 on Craig's list complete for that price. 

Thanks ill check that out, but i wont have the $$ for awhile so i doubt it'll still be there. I was trying to avoid the series one as i hear they are a fair bit underpowered compaired to the series II, but im not sure if that is just a issue with the blower used or what.
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 5:44pm

The exhaust system is built and installed in the car finally. I made it from 2 1/2" mandrel bent pipe and a Moroso spiral type muffler. The whole system is the shape of a saxophone and not much bigger. I ordered a stainless steel Bora twin slash cut tip to keep the 2m4 look but the engine sounds more like a v8 than a Duke.

Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 5:51pm

I used a modified Fiero exhaust hanger to support the system on the right side. On the left I cut the clamp off and welded a 2 1/2" clamp on. The pipe is wrapped with exhaust wrap between the engine and muffler to control heat in the packed engine bay.

marcelvdgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marcelvdgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 10:44pm

I can atest to the beautiful exhaust note from this car.

Heard it this morning. look out ....you wont know what hit you.

Very nice workmanship Blair!!!!!!!!!!

Marcel 86SE V6 Auto
85SE V6 Auto
85 2m4
soon to be sleeper 3.8sc 5 speed
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2008 at 8:25pm

Nice custom exhaust...
Is the crossover pipe and cat same location as stock ?
We need more PICS !
Johnny-B-Good

Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 6:21am

Crossover pipe? Cat? What is in the pics is the whole exhaust. The engine is from a front wheel drive car so the manifold exits in the rear. Installing the exhaust in the way I did significantly lowers the heat in the engine bay. The engine also breaths better even with only one tip. Infarct it may breath too good for the tune ports fuel calibration.

On a side note, I had a stumble when the engine was revving up so I installed a new mass air flow sensor and wow. It now has some attitude.

Here is a pic of the left side of the exhaust without the tip on.

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 8:32am

WOW, that will cool things off !
I didn't realize that was the whole exhaust.

Johnny-B-Good

Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 12:47pm
How are you going to get away with not putting a catalytic converter on it? Reducing emissions is a good thing 
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 1:18pm
In BC only 88 Fiero's are required to have a cat converter.  The 2.5 4cyl that was in the car runs even when new, much dirtier than a newer 3800 motor.     From an emissions standpoint the 2.5 and even the 2.8 from a lesser standpoint were a really bad design. 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 1:20pm
Blair from the looks of your exhaust you must be using the stock 3800 crossover pipe to join the 2 banks.  I would like to see a shot of the upper side of the exhaust system.  It looks like it is something similar to what GM did on the 4.9's.  
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 2:05pm
Johnny-B-Good

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 2:24pm
LOL
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 5:16pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Blair from the looks of your exhaust you must be using the stock 3800 crossover pipe to join the 2 banks.  I would like to see a shot of the upper side of the exhaust system.  It looks like it is something similar to what GM did on the 4.9's.  

Heres a pic of the rear of the motor showing the crossover pipe. The exhaust exits on the right between the #4 and #6 cylinders.

Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2008 at 4:20pm

Now that this build thread is done can anybody guess what my next build thread is going to be on?

Here's a hint-

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2008 at 4:23pm
Nooooooooo Don't do it, don't go to the dark side.  SBC V8 stay with your V8. 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2008 at 6:47pm

Think cleaner,faster,and better on fuel.

I put my 283 up on Craig's list for $1,300 just to blow it out the door. I will be selling my hp 2.8 for $2,ooo or so. A third of what it cost me but the 3800sc will be in the car permanently! When it starts to seem slow I will just bump the hp up.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic