West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Red to Grimm Dragon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 5:44pm
Chris that is way cool...........
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 6:43pm
next update will be the front bags, hopefully they go in as easy as the rears did (Yea Right)
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 7:24pm
Chris if you don't already have an air hammer/air chisell, drop by here and grab mine, it is a life saver when it comes to the upper control arm bolts. 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 6:59pm

well ran into a small problem that could have me sending this airbag kit back to the manufacturer unless they can rectify the problems... so I might have to put it back to stock setup for now.. or i will be designing and building my own kit... will keep you all posted

Fiero308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 7:36pm
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 7:52pm
well I think I might just modify the kit that I got as i don't want to wait any longer, I plan on doing some work tomarrow with kiera if the weather permits, will post pics when we are done
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 9:10pm
Did I miss the part where you said what was wrong?
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 8:18pm

no you didn't miss anything capt, I have not been posting that yet until I hear from the company as to not bash them until I have the full facts..  One thing I don't like about this "kit" is they sent no instructions for it and leave you to figure it out for yourself.  Also looks like I will be putting in 88 shocks to go with it as it appears that the 84-87 ones will not work anymore.

well here are some pics

apart and ready for the new parts and paint

lets see if you can figure this out look at the last 2 pics and then this one and see how they go togeather

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 8:39pm

I could guess, but I am sure you have already tried everything I would think of.   There is the one larger tab that kinda throws me for a loop though.

Oh and as for using 88 shocks, you can't.   They are unique to the 88 control arms which wont' work on any other Fiero.    Do the bags  even have a hollow core?   As the 88 shocks go inside the center of the springs?

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

I could guess, but I am sure you have already
tried everything I would think of.   There is the one larger tab that kinda
throws me for a loop though.

Oh and as for using 88 shocks, you can't.   They are unique to the 88
control arms which wont' work on any other Fiero.    Do the bags  even
have a hollow core?   As the 88 shocks go inside the center of the
springs?

No there is no hole inside the springs but i need some shocks with the
stock upper mount with the 88's lower mounting and i have figured out
the lower mount i think, now got to figure out the upper bag mount
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 8:56pm
Doesn't that short tab go on the shock mount?  If so why won't the stock shock work anymore?  Something in the way?

DG
You dream it up....I'll make it
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 9:10pm
Well I do have a full 88 front suspension, (control arms and shocks and rack) that you can look over to see if you can build something.  I won't let these go, so they would just be for bench reference.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 9:16pm

Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

Doesn't that short tab go on the shock mount?  If so why won't the stock shock work anymore?  Something in the way?

DG

no the new shock mount is the long tab that jets out with the hole,thehole in the center is for the air bag to mount to the plate and the other hole is for your sway bar, the big and small tabs are spaced just right to go on either side of the control arm..  I also have to remove the stock spring mout off of the lower control arm

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 9:50pm
I had envisioned that piece mounting over top the stock spring mount.

What happens if you switch that mount with the one for the other side?  Looks to me like the short tab will line up with the stock shock mount.

Doesn't it fit if you do that?

Bummer if you have to start doing major cutting.

DG 
You dream it up....I'll make it
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 6:48pm

well todays progress wasn't all that much but my little helper (Kiera) had a blast

factory spring mount off of lower control arm

said mount

supplied air bag mount.. which will not work.......

but got a e-mail back from the company today and it went like this:

Hello Chris

This is Mike from the Tech department.  i am requesting the info for you now and will get back to you ASAP.  I will also be checking to make sure you received the correct kit.

Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 6:50pm

i think that I can modify the stock mount to work for air bags which will make things a little nicer

Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 11:21pm
well kiera and I were out there again today and removed the factory spring mount from the other side then she decided that she was done and put my tools away for me so I had no choice but to stop working.  Things keep going like this and i will never git er done
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 10:36pm

well here are some pics of my little project manager/helper hard at work:

and this is when I know it is time to go in:

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 9:38am
Very Cute, I can't wait for Arianna to be out helping me.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 10:08am

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Very Cute, I can't wait for Arianna to be out helping me.

yea it's a blast, everything takes twice as long but well worth the time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic