West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Car Chat (Not Fiero Specific) » Car Talk thats not a Fiero
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Engines.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite Engines.
    Posted: 15 November 2010 at 9:27pm

Here's the thread to post what your favourite engines are. Popular, forgotten, old, new, sixteen cylinders or four, post whatever you wish, some data about it and why you like it.

I'm going to go ahead and start with Lambourghini's new V12 going in their new Avantador. At 700HP, naturally aspirated, this little screamer will climb to 8500RPM. Here's a video of it being assembled, and then ran on the test bench.

http://jalopnik.com/5690504/hear-the-new-lamborghini-v12-in- action

Once you shake your goosebumps off, post your own favourites!

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 11:35am
favourite engine I've had (in a more normal car) was the Chrysler slant-6 in a 1966 Plymouth Valiant. It was exceptionally smooth, powerful and economical to run. Unfortunately, emission controls would conspire it to extinction.

I also really liked the engine sounds from a Fiat X/19.

Frankly, in 1985, when I drove down the street in my Fiero and people heard the engine sounds from my car, they all looked also. For 1985, the 2.8 as configured in our Fieros was exceptional.

I like the Ferrari flat 12 and Lambo V12's too.   

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 12:49pm

Tristan, I think we should limit this discussion to engines we've owned and have actually driven.

With that in mind... My favorite engine was a big block 396 Chevy with ported/polished oval port heads, solid lifter lumpy cam, aluminum hi-rise intake manifold, Holley 4 barrel, headers, "turbo" mufflers, true dual exhaust with 2 1/2" tail pipes exiting out the side of the car in front of the rear tires. ('67 Chevelle SS396)

Talk about gobs of torque, and the rough idle with clacking solid lifters and a short exhaust system sounded magnificent!

Ah, the good old days...

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Tristan, I think we should limit this discussion to engines we've owned and have actually driven.

Oh Patty, that doesn't seem fair to someone who is just starting out on life and still in school, Tristan has the chance to get what he wants
and you Patty don't, only flashbacks from about 40 years ago

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 2:08pm

My first car 58 PACKARD HAWK 289 SUPERCHARGED

Back then Packard and Studebaker merged, the Packard hawk was the same as Studebaker Golden Hawk, just the front nose was different.

Pic was shot in Stanley Park in 1962

Distinctive Packard Hawk features rarely seen in Studebakers also included all-leather seating with matching interior trim made of Naugahyde. Dashboards
displayed Stewart Warner tachometer and supercharger manifold pressure gauges. The speedometer showed a top speed of 160 mph, and it was published that
this car could flat-out run faster top end than the American-made sports cars of the Big Three.

My favorite engines would be SUPERCHARGED

Ford GT 40 SUPERCHARGED
]

Corvette LS9 SUPERCHARGED

My first and last car SUPERCHARGED (that's music to my ears)

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 3:17pm

With that in mind... My favorite engine was a big block 396 Chevy with ported/polished oval port heads, solid lifter lumpy cam, aluminum hi-rise intake manifold, Holley 4 barrel, headers, "turbo" mufflers, true dual exhaust with 2 1/2" tail pipes exiting out the side of the car in front of the rear tires. ('67 Chevelle SS396)

Talk about gobs of torque, and the rough idle with clacking solid lifters and a short exhaust system sounded magnificent!

Ah, the good old days...

Yeah, so that limits me to the Ford 289, Chevy 2.8L, Chevy 305 and Dodge 287. WOOT.

No, post any images. Another engine I like, and that probably very few here have heard of, was Isuzu's 60 degree V12. At over 13000RPM and 700HP, the thing was beyond ridiculous, especially considering Isuzu's reputation as a safe, sensible car company. The engines were designed for the Lotus race team, though Lotus decided to play it safe and take less extreme, but more reliable Honda engines for their team instead. A few of the engines eventually worked their way into the Cojo concepts, one sits on a stand, surrounded by glass in Isuzu's museum, and reportedly one was accidentally sold off to the public, although that seems to be more urban myth than proven fact.

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 3:28pm

Ah, the good old days...

Sounds like your old DUKE

kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 4:20pm
May fav.

v=N8TXMUaC9Os&feature=related">SuperCharged miniature
V8
(link no worky - copy & paste the one below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8TXMUaC9Os&feature=related
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 6:06pm

Originally posted by Car-2-Lo Car-2-Lo wrote:

Ah, the good old days...

Sounds like your old DUKE

Oh don't I wish!

I listened to a bunch of Chevy engines with lumpy idles on YouTube. This one Here sounds very similar to my ol' 396... almost as good.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 8:36am

Originally posted by kharmata kharmata wrote:

May fav.

v=N8TXMUaC9Os&feature=related">SuperCharged miniature
V8
(link no worky - copy & paste the one below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8TXMUaC9Os&feature=relat ed

That thing is pretty awesome, I've seen it before.

Another fairly small supercharged V is the V16 in the BRM-16.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZMPDCNyQxE

At 1.5L, the thing still sounds big and burly. 550HP, can rev to 12000RPM, and dry-sumped and supercharged. All in the '50s. FANTASTIC little engine.

kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 12:16pm
How do they do this with a V10???

Honda
Indy
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 11:47pm

I have the audio to that video on my iPod, actually. lol

V10's are my favourite engine type... The Porsche V10 that sits in the back of the Porsche Carrera GT (My favourite car of all time) is about the only engine I've ever heard that literally sings as it revs. Many engines can sound whiny, or brutal, or loud, but the Carrera GT... It just sounds beautiful.

marcelvdgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marcelvdgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 11:48pm

Patrick

didnt you drive that same configuration in a caprice or impala in high school...... i seem to remember you and a buddy running big blocks

M

Marcel 86SE V6 Auto
85SE V6 Auto
85 2m4
soon to be sleeper 3.8sc 5 speed
marcelvdgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marcelvdgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 11:53pm

Mine and owned

1969 302 z28 solid lifter engine c/w turbo 400 tranny with 2500 rpm stall hotshot converter installed in my 1965 malibu ss convertible..

Car needed a roll cage though!!!!

Can you say adrenaline

M

Marcel 86SE V6 Auto
85SE V6 Auto
85 2m4
soon to be sleeper 3.8sc 5 speed
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 12:36am
Originally posted by marcelvdgn marcelvdgn wrote:

Patrick

didnt you drive that same configuration in a caprice or impala in high school...... i seem to remember you and a buddy running big blocks

Wow, I'm really impressed with your memory, Marcel.

Holy smokes, that was back in 1974 (a year after we graduated from Templeton) that I had my first car, a '67 Chev Caprice, and Paul Sartorello had his '67 Chev Impala SS. You're right about the engines as well. Paul bought a brand new LS7 454 and put that beast in his Impala SS. I bought the 396 that was in his Impala, and reworked the heads and changed the cam and added all the rest of the other goodies to the engine when I dropped it into the Caprice (which I had also installed a positrack and 4:10 gears). That same 396 eventually ended up in my '67 Chevelle SS396.

As quick as my Chevelle was, Paul's Impala was an absolute MONSTER with that ultra high performance 454. We had some pretty wild street races on east Hastings Street and along Kingsway in Burnaby against assorted Hemi's and 429 Cobras, etc.  (No, I wouldn't street race like that again in this day and age.)

Here's the old '67 Caprice somewhere on the road to Penticton, possibly in 1975.

Johnny, you realize we're dating ourselves by posting the years these pictures were taken. However, as old as my picture is, your picture from 1962 is ancient!  Beautiful supercharged Packard Hawk though!

beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 11:28am
Seeing as we're posting up old pictures....

Gee, that Fiero looks the same now as when it was brand new.   Can't say the same about the other two cars.

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 12:13pm

Aw, cool pictures! I'm stoked at the success of the thread!

And Patrick, it kinda seemed like your post seemed to imply you drove recklessly and fast when you were younger... Weird.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

And Patrick, it kinda seemed like your post seemed to imply you drove recklessly and fast when you were younger... Weird.

Occasionally I drove "fast" in a straight line for a very short duration. These races would be over in a matter of seconds.

And there was a whole lot less traffic on the roads than there is today.

Seriously, I wouldn't say I was all that "reckless".

Having said that, the scariest experience I ever had going fast was one day while driving around in my Chevelle with some young neighborhood girl. I thought I'd impress her with some pinned-to-the-back-of-the-seat acceleration. (Young guys have no sense of what really impresses a girl.)

So I was going "through the gears" and had just stuck 'er into third gear when some car pulled out of a side street right in front of me. He all of a sudden heard/saw me coming at some gawd-awful speed towards him... and he stopped. Yes, he stopped directly in front of me!  

All I could do was jam on the brakes and brace for impact against his driver's door! Just before plowing into him, he came to his senses (probably the sound on my four tires screaming bloody murder screeching across the pavement woke him up) and he hit his gas pedal and just barely cleared the intersection before I skidded to a stop well beyond where he had been sitting a split second previously.

Scared the crap out of me (and the girl). I never did anything quite so stupid again.

kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 12:58pm
Loved my 1965 Convertible GTO, 389 Big Block with Tri-power
intake and turbo 400 3 speed. Did 0-60 in 1st gear,
105Mph in second but then couldn't stop with those nasty
drum brakes

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 1:32pm

Originally posted by kharmata kharmata wrote:

turbo 400 3 speed. Did 0-60 in 1st gear, 105Mph in second...

Sounds like you had the same tranny and gearing as I originally had in my Caprice. With 2:73 gearing (before I swapped over to 4:10 gears), that baby could go awfully fast on the freeway.

Sweet GTO, Kevin!  How about a picture of it with YOU in the picture as well!  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic