West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » Members Rides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

87 GT Ecotec

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 5:20pm

Originally posted by Medic Medic wrote:

No way, it has clutch hydraulic issues...

Dang it.

Did the engine seem okay when it was running? No apparent damage (knocking, smoking) due to it being "seized"?

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 5:43pm
You need to do a oil and filter change right away.  Then run it for a good 20 minutes and do a compression check on all cylinders.

This will give you a good idea of what shape it's in.

The Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 9:56pm
No obvious issues,in fact the engine was very quiet. A little white'ish smoke for the first few minutes but it cleared up. There was a water leak that started up front somewhere around the rad. It will have to be addressed.
power steering was not working either.
The car was actually out of gas, I  found that out when I tried to drain it and nothing came out. Put a little fresh gas in and a little ether down the intake and it fired up with out much problem.
88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 10:07pm

Originally posted by Medic Medic wrote:

No obvious issues,in fact the engine was very quiet.

Great.

It'll be interesting to see this GT actually running around with this particular engine in it.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2010 at 9:54pm
Oh thank goodness! I'm glad the ecotec perservered, it's a uniquity in the club, and quick as hell to boot.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
bill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 8:46am

Just came across this thread.

Is that the 2.4 LE5 motor, or.....?

Although they cost a few bucks there is a well travelled raod to more power using supercharging for them.

I also want to see someone stick an LNF turbo motor in there.  300 whp is easy with nothing more than tuning.

1988 3.2 turbo Fiero

1957 3.4 in Jamaican MG

2009 2.0 Pontiac GXP coupe
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 2:13pm

Better yet, an LNF turbo and the Eaton supercharger. Twin-charging, it's the future.

bill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Better yet, an LNF turbo and the Eaton supercharger. Twin-charging, it's the future.

No, not in this case.  The supercharger would be superfluous and a wasted expense.  The turbo is sized to make power from 2000 rpm and is capable up to around the 400 BHP level, after which a larger turbo is used, but still no supercharger needed - you'll hit fuel limitations inherent in the DI injector availability before you could fit a turbo large enough to leave a hole down at the bottom that you'd want a supercharger to fill.

1988 3.2 turbo Fiero

1957 3.4 in Jamaican MG

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 4:22pm
Yeah, but a turbo doesn't whine. Or look nearly as cool. Or whine.
bill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 4:45pm

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Yeah, but a turbo doesn't whine. Or look nearly as cool. Or whine.

Let me guess - you'd be one of those knobs that installs bigger BOVs just so you can listen to them pop?  How lame.  

It isn't about what the car sounds like, it is about performance!

If not, maybe you could be one of these guys......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbNxugO-uf0

1988 3.2 turbo Fiero

1957 3.4 in Jamaican MG

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 5:02pm

No, I don't like BOV popping (Also known as Butterfly Chirp). I like this sound way more. Oh, and this sound. And this. And these engines don't need a sound, they just sound cool stock.

I have all those on my iPod. But no sissy BOV noises, or turbo whistle.

Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2011 at 8:35pm
It's a 2.2.
I have a S/C for it as well from the 2.0 Cobalt.
At the moment I can't get it to start after putting in the new clutch.  Ran fine before, not sure what the problem is at the moment. Must be a wire connection.

88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2011 at 9:17pm

If it doesn't even try to turn over, I'd recommend checking the clutch-depressed lockout switch.

Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 6:59am
It turns over but does not start. I hard wired the depressed switch. It doesn't even try to fire, just spins. Odd since it fired up right away before I did the clutch. It must be a wire or other issue. So far everything looks to be in the right place and hooked up. A little confused about it at the moment.
88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
Nexus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nexus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 7:53am

is your fuel pump working/plugged in

I had this problem when I pulled the batterie out of my car, the fuel pump wire is close and was pulled apart slightly not allowing it to run!!

Charlie
84 SE
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 11:14am
Well bud, you want me to stop in? We know it has to be fuel, air or fire if it's turning over like that.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 1:12pm
Dumb question, but Steve does the car still have 2 ignition locks, is the 2nd key on and in the run position.  Did the wiring to the 2nd lock get tugged?
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 7:12am
Yep, checked that as well and found the rats nest of wiring tucked under the console. Problem is I don't have a wiring diagram for the Sunfire harness but the key seemed fine. It may have been tugged when the console was removed but looks intact.
88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 7:53am
Oh boy. Have you got a scan tool to use? Or is this going to be a wire-by-wire continuity check?
Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 8:02am
Hmmm....I had/have a code reader for my S10. Scan tool nope.

88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic