West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » Members Rides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

87 GT Ecotec

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 87 GT Ecotec
    Posted: 27 November 2010 at 12:55pm
Well, I got the car home and to my surprise the engine is seized. Kinda a bummer. I guess it sat too long. But I still got a great deal on the car.
Now what to do with it................ I don't know how to post pics on this site or I would put up a few.
88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 1:08pm
88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 3:07pm

That looks AWESOME
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 6:41pm
That's incredible! And for what it's worth, an Ecotec shouldn't be too bad to overhaul, given the sheer volume of cars they're in.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 7:32pm
To be honest, I would pull all 4 plugs, put some auto trans
fluid down each hole and use a long breaker bar to try and
hand crank the motor over. Its possible that it sat so
long the rings are just "stuck" for lack of a better word
and the ATF will help to free them up. One you get it to
hand crank over, leave the plugs out, spin it over a few
times with the starter, then put the plugs it and try and
fire it up. Oh and don't use too much trans fluid, maybe
an ounce in each hold and DO NOT TRY AND START IT, UNTIL
you have cranked it over with the starter and the plugs
OUT. If you try and fire it up with the ATF in the cylinders, it will hydro lock and possibly break things.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 10:06pm
Good info thanks, I will try that.
It would be a shame to overhaul an engine with only 30k on it.
Getting a breaker bar in there will be pretty tight though.
I hear that marvel oil works really well.......
88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 10:17pm

Originally posted by Medic Medic wrote:

Well, I got the car home and to my surprise the engine is seized...

I bought a car with a "seized" engine only to discover it was the alternator which was seized.

Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 10:27pm
That's the first thing I did. I took the belt off to make sure it wasn't the alternator or the power steering pump. Did I say power steering? This  guy put power steering in this car..............hmmmm.
someone had money to burn.
88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2010 at 12:19am

When was the last time this engine was reported to have been running?

Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2010 at 7:08am
three to four years ago. It has since sat out in front of the guys shop collecting dust. You can smell the old gas when you remove the plugs.
88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2010 at 11:30am
I second Dave's suggestion.  All I would add to it is let it sit for a few hours after squirting the oil in and don't be shy about how much.  You want at least a couple tablespoons full of oil in each cylinder.

Additionally, you could hire John (Dr Fiero) to come over with his inspection camera to have a look inside first.

Seems odd to me that it would be so seized up.  I bet it will be fine if you can get it moving again.

The Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2010 at 12:34pm

three to four years ago. It has since sat out in front of the guys shop collecting dust. You can smell the old gas when you remove the plugs.

I agree with adding some ATF to each cylinder and letting it sit for awhile (at least 24 hours) before trying to turn over the engine with a wrench/breaker bar. As mentioned previously, leave the spark plugs out while doing this.

From what we've seen so far, that's a nice looking GT!

Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2010 at 1:29pm
I didn't have any ATF so I used WD40 and let it sit overnight. Put on a bar this morning and it broke free. It wouldn't start, it wouldn't even catch but at least the motor is free now. It turns over quite slowly though......  my deep cycle battery is fresh and charged so it must be internal. I guess the next step is to drain the gas and change the oil and see what happens.
88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2010 at 3:49pm
Also, clean and gap the spark plugs, use starting fluid on the plugs to help dissolve any left over oil, maybe even put a spritz of starting fluid down the intake before you go to crank it.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2010 at 2:58am

I didn't have any ATF so I used WD40 and let it sit overnight.

I think ATF would've been superior (for its detergent and lubricating properties), but at least you freed it up. Maybe you'll get lucky after all!

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2010 at 3:53pm

You have me optimistic for you! Hopefully it's just something minor at the moment.

Best of luck!

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 12:47pm
It's alive!

It runs!
88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 1:13pm
Nice looking toy!
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 4:01pm

It's alive!

It runs!

Right on!

Is it driveable? Will you be able to bring it to the club meeting on the 11th?

Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 5:08pm
No way, it has clutch hydraulic issues. Plus it runs but has a hesitiation when you hit the throttle. The clutch is a mix of fiero and sunbird hydraulics so it has to be worked out. It was apparently "locking up" after getting warm......? for the previous owner that is.
The shift pattern is backwards, it is not a hard fix but is a little lower on the priorities list.
Maybe on the road by summer.
88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic