West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Off Topic » Got something you want to talk about.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

100 dogs slaughtered at Whistler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 100 dogs slaughtered at Whistler
    Posted: 31 January 2011 at 10:29am

I had the radio on this morning at 7:30 AM as a news report was breaking on CKNW about 100 sled dogs being slaughtered by a Whistler tour company. They were deemed to be expendable when tourism slumped after the Olympics were over.

A single employee was responsible for the killing of 100 dogs with a gun. Multiple shots were required on many (possibly most) of the dogs, they weren't clean kills. When this person ran out of ammo, it's reported he used a knife to slit their throats.

This is beyond disgusting.

The SPCA and RCMP are now involved.

The latest news report is Here (copied below)...

Quote MASS DOG KILL IN WHISTLER/UPDATE
WHISTLER/CKNW AM 980
Brett Mineer Email news tips to Brett
1/31/2011

The BC SPCA simply calls it a slaughter.

A major tour operator in Whistler has admitted to ordering the killing of 100 dogs, after a post-Olympic slump in bookings of dog-sled tours.

The fallout from that calculated business decision is just beginning, with one worker diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder, and a criminal investigation getting underway.

"Outdoor Adventures Whistler" ordered the killing of 100 dogs in April of last year, after a post-Olympic downturn.

Worksafe BC documents obtained by CKNW say an employee has been granted compensation after developing post traumatic stress disorder for having to kill the dogs himself over a two day period.

Lawyer Cory Steinberg says the employee "..... ended up having to do it...I guess the only way to describe it was "near misses". It wasn't always a clean, one-shot kill. Inevitably he ended up seeing and having to put the end to some horrific scenes."

Steinberg speaks on behalf of the worker who doesn't want to be named.

In most cases dogs were shot more than once, or had their throats slashed before they were pitched into what is described in the documents as a mass grave.  Some were still alive.

The company didn't contest the Worksafe injury claim.  In fact,  they even made a correction, where the worker stated he had killed 70 dogs, the company corrected and wrote he had actually killed 100.

The head of cruelty investigations at the BC SPCA says they are launching an investigation, after reviewing the Worksafe BC file.

Marcy Moriarty says they will be interested to find the mass grave mentioned in the documents.

She says this has been truly difficult to learn of, "...that description where he notes that one of the dogs he thought had been killed was crawling around in this mass grave.....honestly I had to put down the story then."

She says it's a dirty secret of the industry that so many dogs are bred purely out of greed.

Moriarty says there appears to have been breaches of the animal cruelty act in the cull and criminal charges are a possibility.

"Outdoor Adventures at Whistler" has issued a statement in response to the story.

Spokesperson Graham Aldcroft says  "the events are tragic and regrettable."

He says while we were aware of the relocation and euthanization of dogs at "Howling Dog Tours" we  were completely unaware of the details of the incident until we read them in the WCB document yesterday.

Aldcroft goes on to say while "Outdoor Adventures" had a financial interest in "Howling Dogs" for four years the operational control of the company was with the employee referred to in the WCB ruling.

In May however Outdoor Adventures took control of 'Howling Dogs.'

Since then Aldcroft says significant changes have been made to ensure humane treatment of the dogs and improved safety protocols of the operation.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 10:35am
If only "an eye for an eye" justice existed, it'd be a fitting punishment for everyone involved.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 12:16pm
charge the sh*t out of them, and take away their business license, then chain them up in the woods and let the wilderness have at them!
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 12:25pm

You're too forgiving. Put 'em in a pit with my dog when he's hungry.

They'll learn to respect canines damn quickly.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 12:53pm

Aw man, this just makes me want to puke.  From here...

Quote 100 sled dogs slaughtered - the grisly details should serve as a wake-up call about the sled dog industry

By Kim Pemberton 31 Jan 2011   

Susie's death didn't come quickly among the 100 sled dogs slaughtered after they had outlived their usefulness to Outdoor Adventures, which had used them as sled dogs to entertain the Olympic visitors in Whistler. The general manager who had been ordered to do the killings had shot out Susie's left side of her cheekbone but she didn't die. Instead, with her eyeball hanging out of its socket she tried vainly to escape after the man made the mistake of letting go of the leash and she was able to run off. The unidentified employee then had to track the Husky down using a scope on his firearm to end this poor animal's life.

Then there was Nora who the manager noticed crawling among the 10 or more dead dogs about 20 minutes after he shot her outside the company's compound and buried in a mass grave. The man had to climb down into the pit to "put her out of her misery."

These were just two of the horrific stories contained in a heavily censored report filed by the man to WorkSafeBC, the first level of review at the provincial workers compensation board. He claimed he had suffered from post traumatic stress. The man is being represented by Whistler lawyer Cory Steinberg, who just moments ago cancelled a noon press conference he had called to deal with the deluge of media calls. I've been trying to reach him since 8 a.m. after being assigned this story, which you can read here. I've also been trying unsuccessfully to reach Outdoors Adventures spokesman Graham Aldcroft, who issued a press release calling the culling "regrettable." His statement appears to point the finger as well at Howling Dog Tours a company owned by 29-year-old Joey Houssain, who also isn't returning my phone calls. A corporate search of both companies lists Houssain as the director with both.

Here's Aldcroft's statement: "While we were aware of the relocation and euthanization of dogs at "Howling Dog Tours" we were completely unaware of the details of the incident until reading the WCB document Sunday," he stated in the release. Aldcroft then goes on to say there are no longer any firearms on site and when a dog has to be euthanized the animal is taken to a veterinarian.

So it appears Outdoor Adventures is trying to distance its finacial stake in the company Howling Dog Tours. Like you, I have a lot of questions to ask both Aldcroft and Houssain beginning not only with the slaughter of the 100 sled dogs but how they are treating the dogs they currently have and why is it necessary for any healthy dog to be taken to the vet's to be "euthanized"?

I was able to reach BC SPCA head of animal cruelty investigations Marcie Moriarty today who told me perhaps now the public will finally realize that the majority of sled dog operations treat their dogs badly. She said what the public doesn't see are how dogs spend their lives tethered to chains outdoors. I've included photos of the SPCA's general campaign to educate the public that no dog deserves to live a life chained outdoors.

"I'm glad a light is finally being shed on this industry. I just shudder when I see the ads for sled dog tours because I know how the majority are living," she said.

"People see these 20 dogs in an idyllic setting with snow in the background and think how great. But what they don't see is the 200  dogs tethered and sleeping out back, chained to a barrel."

We don't know how Outdoor Adventures or Howling Dog Tours currently treats their working animals but how they dispatched them makes me wonder why anyone would want to support such a business?"

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 2:57pm

Pat, that's how I picked up Tia in the early 90's was from that idiot in Whistler, some things don't change...but makes you think about the rest of the world and how the dogs are treated...

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 3:25pm

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

Pat, that's how I picked up Tia in the early 90's was from that idiot in Whistler, some things don't change...but makes you think about the rest of the world and how the dogs are treated...

Brian, I remember you telling me that. I didn't want to say anything unless you brought it up.

They haven't released the name of the guy from "Howling Dogs Tours" who did the killing yet, although they mentioned the owner, Joey Houssain. Is this the guy you knew of years ago? Do you suspect he's also the same person who slaughtered these dogs (or perhaps was the one to give the order)?

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 3:39pm
It can't be that expensive to do this sort of thing humanely.  What a shame.

The Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 4:46pm
There is Dog Town, and if they put out the word to all sled teams in North America, they would have found homes for the majority if not all...no f$#&ing excuses...
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 5:42pm
I'm appalled. How could you even live with yourself after that.. It's all about the bottom line I guess. Typical business rules.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 7:46pm

I just can't believe what some people will do when ordered to do so by a "superior", be that a boss or whatever. Don't pathetic bastards like this guy have a freakin' backbone?

More gruesome details from Here.

Quote Tourism lull led to ‘execution-style killings’ of 100 B.C. sled dogs: Reports

By Kim Pemberton, Vancouver Sun January 31, 2011 8:50 PM

The man responsible for the "execution-style" cull of 100 sled dogs that were no longer of use to the Whistler-based Outdoor Adventures "due to a slow winter" season had known a lot of the dogs and was so traumatized by the slaughter he now suffers from nightmares, panic attacks and depression, according to a confidential workers' compensation review decision obtained by the Vancouver Sun.

The unidentified man said he had raised many of the 300 dogs owned by his employer, in fact, naming many of them. But over a two-day period in late April 2010, he agreed to carry out the orders from his employer to euthanize some of them because part of his job duties "included herd control."

The BC SPCA is launching an investigation of the cull.

In the document, the man thought he had put down 30 per cent of the company's herd — approximately 70 animals — but the employer’s report of injury to the animals, filed with the review board in May, stated it had actually been 100 dogs.

The information came to light after the employee filed for workers’ compensation after developing post-traumatic stress disorder for allegedly being forced to kill the dogs — potentially after bookings slumped following the 2010 Olympic Games.

A veterinarian had been contacted but refused to participate in the cull of healthy animals.

The report also stated the man tasked with the job tried to adopt out the dogs but with limited success.

"In the past, his practice when euthanizing a dog was to take it for a walk in the woods and give them a nice meat meal to distract them. That would make for a calm environment and kept the dogs away from the general population so as not to disrupt them. He would use a gun to euthanize the dogs," the report states.

However, because of the large number of dogs, he said he was forced to euthanize the dogs in full view of the other animals. By about the 15th dog, it appeared to him "the dogs were experiencing anxiety and stress from observing the euthanasia of other members of the pack and were panicking."

As a result of the panic, a dog named Suzie was only wounded by the employee.

"Susie was the mother of his family's pet dog 'Bumble.' He had to chase Suzie through the yard because the horrific noise she made when wounded caused him to drop the leash,” the report states. “Although she had the left side of her cheek blown off . . . he was unable to catch her. He then obtained a gun with a scope and used it to shoot her when she settled down close to another group of dogs."

It also states when he went to get the dog, he was bitten in the arm. After disposing of Suzie's body, he returned and noticed another dog — named Poker — that was special to him and not slated to be euthanized had been accidentally shot.

"Poker was covered in blood from a neck wound and covered in his own feces. He believed Poker suffered for approximately 15 minutes before he could be put down," the report states.

The employee had put down about 55 dogs on April 21, and by the end of the day, the dogs were so panicked they were biting him and he had to wrap his arms in foam to prevent injury.

"He also had to perform what he described as ‘execution-style’ killings where he wrestled the dogs to the ground and stood on them with one foot to shoot them. The last few kills were ‘multiple-shot’ killings as he was simply unable to get a clean shot,” the report says. “He described a guttural sound he had never heard before from the dogs and fear in their eyes."

But the killings on April 23 were described as "worse" than two days earlier because the herd's fear and anxiety began almost immediately.

On that day, the first significant killing happened to a dog named Nora, who he had shot 20 minutes earlier and put into the mass grave. He noticed her crawling around amid the 10 or so bodies already there so had to climb down into the grave and "put her out of her misery."

At that point, the reports states he "wanted nothing more than to stop the 'nightmare,' but he continued because he had been given a job to finish and did not want to prolong the suffering and anxiety of the whole kennel population. He stated that he felt 'numb.'"

His last memory of killing the final 15 dogs was "fuzzy" and in some cases he felt it was simpler to "get behind the dogs and slit their throats and let them bleed out."

The report states he was “covered” in blood by the end.

"When he finished he cleared up the mess, filled in the mass grave and tried to bury the memories as deeply as he could."

Five days after the final culling, he sought treatment from a clinical counsellor who indicated he was suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

His family physician also indicated the worker — who resides at the same location as the dogs with his family — complained of "panic attacks, nightmares, sleep disturbances, anger, irritability and depressed mood since culling approximately 100 dogs."

Marcie Moriarty, head of the BC SPCA cruelty-investigations division, said the man, the general manager of Outdoor Adventures at the time, could have simply said no.

"I've no doubt he has suffered post-traumatic stress but there's a thing called choice. I absolutely would not have done this and he could have said no,” she said. “This is a criminal-code offence and to have just stopped. I don't feel sorry for this guy for one minute.”

Moriarty said the SPCA began investigating the culling this weekend after CKNW radio provided her with a heavily censored WCB report.

WCB spokeswoman Donna Freeman said she cannot confirm a claim has been filed by any party because it would be "considered private because they're medical files."

Moriarty said while RCMP have been contacted about the culling, the BC SPCA are the lead investigators and will be executing warrants to obtain further information.

They plan to uncover the mass grave to examine the dogs' remains but can't do that immediately because the ground is frozen under several feet of snow.

In a statement, Outdoor Adventures spokesman Graham Aldcroft said there are no firearms on site and any time a sled dog is euthanized in the future, it will be done in a vet's office. "While we were aware of the relocation and euthanization of dogs at ‘Howling Dog Tours,’ we were completely unaware of the details of the incident until reading the WCB document Sunday," he said.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 9:46pm
Yeah, that's my biggest problem with him suing for emotional distress. I know if I were in that situation and I was ordered to commit genocide I'd be headed straight to the authorities, no questions asked.
Boxin' Robin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Boxin' Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2011 at 10:35am

What a horrific news. And I was thinking of supporting this company's dog sledding business when my wife and I were in Whistler last time. Now I say we "accidentally" burn down their building and beat the fu*# out of everybody who happens to be there.

I love dogs, both my own and others, and I'm sick of hearing about humans taking advantage of animals who are unable to defend themselves.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2011 at 11:08am

You know, my biggest issue is the pointlessness in all the this. There was literally no need for any of this, and why did no one along the way stop and ask 'Why'?

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2011 at 12:10pm

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Brian, I remember you telling me that. I didn't want to say anything unless you brought it up.

I hope Brian doesn't mind me doing this, but I wanted to copy and post something from This thread. Brian has had some experience with those low-lifes up at Whistler. I thought this would make for interesting reading for those of you who may not have originally seen this posted two years ago.

I had a Siberian Timberwolf, she was a runt, saved her from this F%^%#^ who was a dog sled tour guide in Whister that was inter-breeding them...chain them up to trees and have at it.  My secretary at the time told me about how she went to buy a dog from him and saw her, she would not have survived as all he fed them was meat and the toughest made it.

I went there and made him a offer, he said, no, come back in a week and if she's alive you can have her, but he knew she would not make it and that's what he was worried about...a fricken refund!!!, I didn't care about that but he didn't care...so with a few staff that worked for me, we went in the middle of the night and dog napped her...amazing girl she was:)

When she was a pup:

As an adult:

Brian, sorry if I've made you tear up a bit.  I wanted to show a fine example of the type of beautiful dogs that have been abused for years and/or killed by those bastards up at Whistler.

Steps need to be taken so that this sort of criminal activity can no longer continue.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2011 at 3:31pm
I miss her so...she had a great life
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2011 at 5:33pm

Yeah, what a shame those 100 dogs weren't given the same chance you gave Tia.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2011 at 7:54pm

Now, I'm no laywer, but don't you think that in posting the personal information of people who are naturally hated might look suspicious if something does happen to them? This is public domain, after all: Anyone can view it.

Just, you know, something to think about.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2011 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Now, I'm no laywer, but don't you think that in posting the personal information of people who are naturally hated might look suspicious if something does happen to them? This is public domain, after all: Anyone can view it.

Just, you know, something to think about.

You suggesting to remove it?...I would agree that we do, it was on the news today about all the threats, etc...

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2011 at 9:43pm

I was on the fringe of removing it myself, as I goolged his user name, and then googles his email address, I could not find anything solid about phatglass or him being a scam.  CKNW does have a lot of stories about the topic, including one about the Owner of one of company's being kicked out of the Sanctioning body as a board of directors. 

However the biggest thing that I think is really dumb, the BC Labor board has documents that would help the SPCA and RCMP press charges on this asshats, and is refusing to release them.  The SPCA has taken them to court to get the documents including administrative notes and emails released to them.  How can they really justify holding these documents back.    In My Own Opinion, "I Feel" the dogs should be released the building torched and people that ordered the killing as well as the employees that did them, should be held on trial and sent to jail for years.  Hopefully there will be some "dog lovers" in prison that will give the people involved a fitting end.

Other side not, both company's involved in the dog culling, have had there business lisces revoked and are banned from making any sales in the city of Whistler and Squamish. 

Lisa and I are facing letting go of Duke right now, so this topic really hits home for us.  He has taken dog training classes and passed them, however he is becoming more aggressive to Lisa and I, and has also snapped at Arianna. He has never bitten any of us, short of a snap on the hand the did not break skin, but we are just not sure if we want to "wait" until something does happen, and the option of giving him away is just not fair to him or a new owner knowing his tendency's.      I mean what do you do with a giant lap dog that loves you, sleeps beside you, and you know would guard the house and your family till the end, however has a bad temper that scares you.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic