West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Events Section » Meetings, and Events Info
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLocation, location, location.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 12:19am

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Tolerate? ...Yeah, in the interest in keeping the forums clean, we'll use that term.

Heh heh, I was referring to what goes on in the restaurant. I know nothing of what goes on after hours.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 2:20am

Clearly you haven't been hanging around in the restaurant long enough then.

ZING!

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 11:56am

How about IKEA and Meatball Madness:)...Boyz have their meeting and the ladies go shopping...lol

How about other location types like bowling lanes, etc...I am taking pages from a few other club's that I have seen on their forums...thought's:)

Do talk about not enough events, well maybe make an event out of the club meeting:)

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Boxin' Robin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

How about IKEA and Meatball Madness:)...Boyz have their meeting and the ladies go shopping...lol

How about other location types like bowling lanes, etc...I am taking pages from a few other club's that I have seen on their forums...thought's:)

Do talk about not enough events, well maybe make an event out of the club meeting:)

What about meeting at different locations every time? Whoever is in charge of events can pick a location (nothing too drastic, of course). And people just have to check this forum for the location of each month. Heck, we can even schedule locations ahead of time for each month of the year! Have a monthly vote or something.

Okay you guys probably think I'm talking nonsense, so I'll stop now...

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 2:20pm
No...open discussion is good:)...that's what I am trying to suggest, this way we can have a change and keep it fresh and active...I'll shut up now
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Dawg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 3:24pm
Well....I agree that having meetings in different places would add some cool variety.  The problem with that is the level of communication and organization needed to achieve this is not constant.  It would put more of a load on the keeners that make all this happen in the first place.

I don't feel all the effort would be worth it in the end.  I would much rather see that energy put towards other things.

Also, as mentioned at the last meeting, there are many that rarely use this site.  I was surprised to learn this.  But I'm on the Internet all the time.

They would be mighty pissed if they finally got the chance to come to a meeting and found no one there because we were somewhere else that night.

Alternately, they would end up phoning poor Dave on his cel to find out what is going on.  Like he needs more phone calls every day.

Cheers,

The Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
Patrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 4:39pm

Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

...as mentioned at the last meeting, there are many that rarely use this site. 

They would be mighty pissed if they finally got the chance to come to a meeting and found no one there because we were somewhere else that night.

I cannot believe that there's anyone who's interested in attending a club meeting who can't access the club's webpage once a month to see where the meeting might be held that month (if we decided we'd move around from month to month). Seriously, if that's too much to ask of anyone, then I doubt they'd make the effort of actually attending a meeting in the first place.

Another club member recently asked me whether or not we really need to be incorporating a "meal" with our meetings. I realize this has been one way of acquiring a room to meet in, but of course there are other types of rooms to meet in such as community centers and church halls, etc.

That then leads to the question as to whether a room itself is even necessary, especially during the warmer months. To tell the truth, I've always enjoyed the tire kicking out in the parking lot at least as much as the "formal" part of the meeting held inside.

I'd be happy with just gathering in the parking lot of an A&W restaurant, or some other casual food place, where people could simply grab a coffee or a burger if they wished.

I attend the club meetings to talk to other members (in person) and to see their cars. I don't mind how we've been doing the meetings up to this point, but I'd be happy to try something different if a majority of ACTIVE club members felt the same way. (I'd like to see the people ultimately deciding this to be members who actually go or wish to go to the meetings.)

Let's hear some more feedback. Speak up everyone, don't be shy!

Dawg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 4:58pm
I hear ya, but lets not alienate the very people we are trying to be sensitive to.  The only reason we brought this up was some people wondering if we could attract more attendance by adapting a little.

If in the end it is concluded that there is not enough benefit to changing, then we won't.

No offense to any of "the regulars" but personally, I want to hear from the no shows even more.

The Dawg

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

I don't mind how we've been doing the meetings up to this point, but I'd be happy to try something different if a majority of ACTIVE club members felt the same way. (I'd like to see the people ultimately deciding this to be members who actually go or wish to go to the meetings.)

Let's hear some more feedback. Speak up everyone, don't be shy!

Patrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 5:24pm

I hear ya, but lets not alienate the very people we are trying to be sensitive to.  The only reason we brought this up was some people wondering if we could attract more attendance by adapting a little.

Who is it you're afraid I'm in danger of "alienating"? The few people who post in our forum from other parts of the country?

I don't see the point of having people vote on this who have NO intention of ever attending a meeting. That's all that I was addressing earlier (copied below).

I'd like to see the people ultimately deciding this to be members who actually go or wish to go to the meetings.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 5:59pm

Patrick raises a harsh, but utterly truthful point: If one can't put in the effort of checking either the site, or their email once before the meeting, it shows a distinct lack of effort, which itself implies disinterest. A prime example of why I think Patrick is correct would be someone such as Boxin' Robin. Although circumstances have not enabled him to attend a meeting (Yet), he is still well aware of where they are, when they are, what they are, etc... He's putting in effort to at least know how to attend the meeting. If someone can't put in that effort, I'm not sure it's the responsibility of our main community to concede options so that a disinterested few may attend, if they even desire to.

I also actually really liked the idea of just meeting somewhere to "chill out" for meetings, as, like him, my favourite part of the meetings has nothing to do with food, but the socialization. Besides, we could really drive costs down and improve food quality by bringing our own food, if there was significant interest in such an endeavor.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 6:36pm

lol...I see I created some conversation

We have these formal monthly meetings, it's nice to bring us all together, but maybe have this formal discussion every 2nd/3rd month...make it interesting and attract other's.

I am with many who on a nice night, meet in a lot, bring some take out and chat about our cars and what's going on in other areas...or as noted above why do we have to eat?...I think I originally stated this:).

I will be attending my 1st BC Mazda3 event maybe (they call it an event not a meeting) next Friday night because...it's bowling...other than just drive and general gatherings, we don't as often as we could do events that attract more of us for fun.

As Pat mentioned which is suprising to me...at least once a month one cannot check out the site and see where the next event/gathering/meeting is?...now days with iPhones, etc. that is no excuse anymore, nor should anyone take additional calls with stupid questions...sorry but that does not fly with me...that's laziness.

We can all continue to beat this topic up, has anyone spoken to the management as I suggested?...I think we all agree that location does work for all, so maybe alter every 2nd month especially with Spring/Summer around the corner...there's no contractual agreement is there?....lol

Cheers

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Dawg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 7:26pm
Are you guys alright with me contacting the owner on the Club's behalf?  If so I will make it happen and report back.

The Dawg
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 7:30pm
Im cool...Free Beer
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Dawg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 7:32pm
No, the local people we have been missing at the meetings for quite a while now.  The ones that have faded away for whatever reason.  The ones I'd like to see more often if possible.

The Dawg

Who is it you're afraid I'm in danger of "alienating"? The few people who post in our forum from other parts of the country?

Patrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 8:07pm

Are you guys alright with me contacting the owner on the Club's behalf?  If so I will make it happen and report back.

Sure, that's fine with me.

Perhaps mention that attendance at our meetings there has been dwindling steadily due to a number factors...

1) Introduction of the 12% HST.

2) The automatic 15% "gratuity" added to every bill.

3) Meals which often seem not worthy of what's being charged for them. (ie poor preparation, etc.)

We obviously wouldn't be able to guarantee that we'd continue to make use of this particular restaurant for all our future meetings, but it certainly wouldn't hurt the odds of us staying there at least for awhile longer if management brokered us a deal.

If they give you any flack about how we take up a whole banquet room and therefore we need to be charged for it somehow, make sure you mention we're quite aware of how empty the rest of the restaurant is. It's not like they're turning away customers because there's no place to seat them.

Patrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 8:37pm

Damien, I fail to see how I've possibly "alienated" any of these local people who (as you've stated) have "faded away". I'll repeat one more time what I earlier posted...

I'd like to see the people ultimately deciding this to be members who actually go or wish to go to the meetings.

That includes old timers or newbs alike, anyone who "wishes to go" to a meeting.

I'd love to see a couple of dozen people post in this thread and vote in this poll... and yeah, come to the meetings!

No, the local people we have been missing at the meetings for quite a while now.  The ones that have faded away for whatever reason.  The ones I'd like to see more often if possible.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 8:49pm
Yeah, I don't think we're in danger of alienating anyone, truth be told. Our current members haven't "forgotten" how to check for the meetings, I'm sure, so we can't blame dwindling figures on that aspect. And the new people never showing up is their own doing, and like I said, I don't believe it's the members putting in effort who should have to make the sacrifices so that people too lazy to research the meetings can attend. I'm a lazy guy, but even I think that's pathetic.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 9:48pm

I suggest calling, expressing concern in a proper fashion and see how they respond...my 2 cents

1) Introduction of the 12% HST. Bb: No one had a choice, for business that has no weight anymore

2) The automatic 15% "gratuity" added to every bill. Bb: Standard above 10 pax then charge.  If I were the managment I would offer 15+ above no grat or you produce a minumum revenue...not fair for the staff not to be compensated, that's their wage...sorry but that's close to my heart, I support service fee as the staff bust their asses to take care of us.

3) Meals which often seem not worthy of what's being charged for them. (ie poor preparation, etc.) Bb: Big issue is value & quality...there has been an increase and the value for the food has decreased.  This is where you can negotiate the grat, the grat should be optional until they can show an improvement...build the relationship...remember, we can be fired as clients 

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 9:53pm

Brian, I don't believe he's asking for the HST or the tips to be waived. I believe his point is that we have to pay for those two things, as well as higher prices, and yet the quality has gone downhill despite all the extra costs. I'm sure the HST and gratuity wouldn't have even come up if the quality of food remained the same, as with the prices.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 9:58pm
Sorry if there may be a tone...I just replied with my thoughts on those points
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic