West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Events Section » Meetings, and Events Info
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLocation, location, location.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Location, location, location.
    Posted: 12 February 2011 at 9:38pm

Now, before you all jump aboard the "Cheaper location, FTW" train, bare in mind that we have it pretty easy in our current spot, as Ricky's allows us to use their banquet room free of charge, whereas most places will charge us between $100 and $150 for the use of a banquet room. Also worth considering is parking (Cheaper locations may not have adequete parking), other's fiscal restraints (Not everyone can afford a more expensive option), location (Not everyone wants to drive to Vancouver) and diversity.

It was suggested that the club's dwindling attendance may be due to people being unhappy with our current meeting place. Now is your chance, as a community, to shape the club's future. As I said though, be realistic in your expectations, if we go to a cheaper location, we will not be able to take a banquet room to ourselves, which will aversely affect the meetings.

Also, please feel free to provide further insight in a written reply as to your choice.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 1:20pm

43 views and only 3 votes, I wonder if its the same issue I am having, I have looked at the poll several times and honestly don't know what to choose.  So I have not voted. 

My personal choice, as a member, honestly it does not matter to me, as long as the requirements are met for the club, IE banquet room and such. Cost no I don't want to see it be at a high end place and no I don't want to see it in a McDonald's parking lot either.  I really don't want to see it hosted at a members house either.   My only issue I have with Ricky's right now is the food quality is rather poor and now the prices have gone up.  I had a burger there last night, that was like leather.  I'd rather have had a Quarter Pounder from McDonald's.  However I still don't want to see the meetings at McDonald's.

Maybe we should move the meetings to an Izzy's in Bellingham. LOL, Just kidding.  But dang Izzy's would be the best for club meetings.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Dawg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 1:42pm
Lets see how the voting goes over the next few weeks but there is always the option of contacting the OWNER of the restaurant and letting them know that we are thinking of going elseware.

So often there is no feedback and the people that run these places end up guessing as to why the numbers are bad.  Lets face it, it was absolutely DEAD in that place last night.  Other than ourselves, I bet there wasn't more than 30 other customers all night.

I would be willing to do this if enough people want to stay there.  We could negotiate some sort of discount for starters and by letting them know about the rotten food they could set things in motion to make that better.

I personally like the location, being right on the freeway it's easy to get to.  Lots of parking, plenty of hot waitresses to keep Tristan occupied.

As for the food, we are paying way too much for what they are serving.  My fish and chips last night was so greasy I barely got it down.  Add the 15% tip which bugs me and I paid $25 for a meal I was less that happy with.

Like Dave, I don't think any of this is a deal breaker for me.  But it might be for some others.  Lets see.

The Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
D_sensitized View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 1:43pm
I agree with Dave, so long as it has the room and parking I'd be ok
with it. I'm not a huge fan of ricky's but if it ends up being to only
viable location I'm fine with it staying there.
If a new place is picked I don't think it can be any further east then it is
now but a little further from the highway is ok. I'll still show up either
way.
I voted for new location same price btw.
-Harrison
88GT 3800 SC1 F23 5-speed
Chilliwack
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 2:07pm

"Lots of hot waitresses to keep Tristan occupied." CLASSIC.

As was mentioned, the quality of food there has seemingly taken a nose dive, and that's something I don't think they're going to do much about (Both Patrick and Clynt have both brought it up that the fish is typically an unedible brick of char), however, prices do need to be negotiated, for sure. My meal with a shake was just shy of $20, but that seems to be miniscule to what some are being nailed with. And for what's being given, it does seem unjustified. I doubt we're going to be able to negotiate that down, mind you, given that they're giving us the banquet room free, but I suppose it's always worth a shot.

tk_85redgt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 4:13pm

I didn't make the meeting last knight do to it was my mom's birthday and we we're around the corner at Eastside mario's,the food was great and there was 9 of us and no extra charge with  the 15% tip.As for Ricky's great parking lot and having a room to our selfs is great.i would like to see a better location where the bill is smaller.if a new location isn't found ricky's will do, i'll eat before the meeting lol.Finding a new location might be a hard,where there is good parking,food,where we can have our space for the meeting and the price is fare with out the 15% tip.That is asking a lot but maybe we.

Graeme View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 9:44pm
The few times I've been there I've noticed that the food quality is poor and the service wasn't even close to worth the "mandatory" 15%. Sure each time you go to a restaurant it's different, but I don't see why I should be forced to pay a tip to somebody that I certainly didn't consider did their job. That goes from the waitress, to the cook to the manager not managing any of it.

Just my small little 2 cents.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Graeme Graeme wrote:

The few times I've been there I've noticed that the food quality is poor and the service wasn't even close to worth the "mandatory" 15%. Sure each time you go to a restaurant it's different, but I don't see why I should be forced to pay a tip to somebody that I certainly didn't consider did their job. That goes from the waitress, to the cook to the manager not managing any of it.

Just my small little 2 cents.

Woah now Graeme, clearly you haven't spent enough time around Ainsleigh or Emily. Or better yet, time with Ainsleigh AND Emily.
Patrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 12:38am

Originally posted by Graeme Graeme wrote:

The few times I've been there I've noticed that the food quality is poor and the service wasn't even close to worth the "mandatory" 15%.

I don't like the idea either of the "mandatory" 15% gratuity automatically added to our bills, but I suppose the restaurant management figures we need to be paying for the use of their banquet room one way or another.

However, as has been pointed out already, the entire restaurant is nearly empty anytime we're there. So it's not like we're taking up space in the restaurant that could've been used by potential customers being turned away due to lack of tables. 

I haven't voted yet. I'll have more to say about this topic in another post (which will include the pros and cons IMO of our current location).

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 10:41am
I also didn't vote because...

Is it about Location, Location, Location, is this what you're really blaming for low attendance ?

Maybe it's the weather, other family plans, Birthdays, Valentine weekend, sick in bed, Fiero don't start or burnt out from work and just want to stay home.
Johnny-B-Good

kharmata View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 11:05am

my 2 cents,

Considering the large free space for a group meeting which is separate from the rest, isn't this a most important requirement.? And the fact that it is free is a bonus.  The rest just seems trivial to me.  My reasons for lack of meeting involvement lately is that I have had family or other commitments and have wanted to take part in them.  I have not given up on the meetings.

I do agree though - getting stiffed $25 for fish and chips is clearly wrong and should be addressed.

Cheers

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 11:16am
I also didn't vote. I don't mind where we are now, but if another restaurant was found with the same price range I'd be up for trying it out.
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 5:10pm

Our current restaurant/meeting place:

Good

- Easy to get to right off the freeway

- Plenty of parking

- Roomy banquet room (with a large wide-screen TV to use for our own videos if we wish)

- Friendly staff

Bad

- 15% gratuity automatically added to every bill

- Cheapest "meal" on the menu and a coffee comes to at least $15 after taxes and the (always charged) 15% gratuity 

- Food quality ranges from barely acceptable, to in some cases... bad. (ie. the consistently overcooked fish and chips)

- About as far east from Vancouver as I suspect most of us west of the Port Mann bridge are prepared to drive (on a regular basis) to a club function

-------------------------------------------------------

I still haven't voted yet. I'm holding off until I hear a few more comments from club members as to what their opinions are, and why they feel that way. 

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 7:23pm

Hey all...I'll vote shortly maybe...here is my 2cents:

Kerstin and I do not always make it for many reasons, mainly work, any many of you know what I do for a living, so here is an inside perspective...

Good

- Easy to get to right off the freeway

- Plenty of parking

- Roomy banquet room (with a large wide-screen TV to use for our own videos if we wish)

Bb: Bonus that it's Free, clean and safe

- Friendly staff

Bb: Never had a issue, but service has not been spectacular in the past, even short staffed at times...and if there is a manager, wonder where they hide?...lol 

Bad

- 15% gratuity automatically added to every bill

Bb: Auto Grat: This is pretty standard for any group over 10 people, that's why the dinner above for 9 people had descretionary grat.  No rental for such a nice size room with all the amenities, we will have to pay for it some other way anywhere else pretty much...value what we have to the out of pocket for each member...and even if the food was not that great, 15% for service is where these servers make their money because they are on minimum wage, so tips everyone:)...lol, not an easy job taking care of groups like us...lol

- Cheapest "meal" on the menu and a coffee comes to at least $15 after taxes and the (always charged) 15% gratuity 

Bb: Pricing: Not so bad for what you get, now if they have dropped in quality, then based on the regular status of the club, we should know how the burgers used to taste, so has there been a change?, new chef?, corporate mandate for menu spec item changes?, new supplier?, or in general maybe the management does not give a chit...they need to know and be advised that we are considering a move, we want to bring you our business, but we need fair value in return, every business needs as many regulars as possible...

- Food quality ranges from barely acceptable, to in some cases... bad. (ie. the consistently overcooked fish and chips)

Bb: Can be bad management and old oil...did anyone mention this to them, ask for a re-make, are they aware?...real pet peev of mine is those who complain but never say anything...how can anyone attempt to make you happy if they don't know

- About as far east from Vancouver as I suspect most of us west of the Port Mann bridge are prepared to drive (on a regular basis) to a club function

Bb: Location: We like the location, we are on SFU...we did not like the Langley location as much...thought of different locations, switching it up once in awhile?...what's wrong with a A&W summer meeting, do we really need a formal setting?...throwing it out there:)

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Patrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

- Friendly staff (originally stated by Pat)

Bb: Never had a issue, but service has not been spectacular in the past, even short staffed at times...and if there is a manager, wonder where they hide?...lol 

Brian, I appreciate hearing feedback on this topic from your perspective as someone involved in the catering business. 

I guess the reason why I feel the staff at our current restaurant are "friendly" is that night after night they continue to tolerate Tristan.  Seriously though, the staff at our current restaurant seem downright angelic compared to the one restaurant (that we eventually gave up on) where their staff (and/or manager) were always in such a big freakin' hurry to kick us out every evening!

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 8:27pm

I agree...I was on the positive side with my input, should speak to the management and express our concerns and see what they will do for our business. 

The other option is to have dinner before and order a snack and /or beverage for the meeting only, there are no minimums or room rental, so adjust:)

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 8:52pm

GOOD

BAD

kharmata View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 9:00pm
Oh great. I can't say i like the caption though
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 9:00pm
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

- Friendly staff (originally stated by Pat)

Brian, I appreciate hearing feedback on this topic from your perspective as someone involved in the catering business. 

I guess the reason why I feel the staff at our current restaurant are "friendly" is that night after night they continue to tolerate Tristan.  Seriously though, the staff at our current restaurant seem downright angelic compared to the one restaurant (that we eventually gave up on) where their staff (and/or manager) were always in such a big freakin' hurry to kick us out every evening!

Tolerate? ...Yeah, in the interest in keeping the forums clean, we'll use that term.

I actually like our servers (Not just for the eye candy, although that's also a plus). They've got a little sass and personality, I like it.

The chefs need to go though, I'm in complete agreement with that assessment.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic