West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

@$&€ing headlight motor!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nexus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2011 at 5:10pm

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Well, one could figure out if it's gears or motors by trying to hand crank it up. If it cranks by hand, its the motor. If not, it's the gears. Also, if the motor is caught off-brush, it may not try to turn, although that seems unlikely.

how hard is it to replace the motors on these...mine goes up and down by hand but runs nonstop when plugged in...or is it a different problem for mine?

Charlie
84 SE
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2011 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Nexus Nexus wrote:

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Well, one could figure out if it's gears or motors by trying to hand crank it up. If it cranks by hand, its the motor. If not, it's the gears. Also, if the motor is caught off-brush, it may not try to turn, although that seems unlikely.

how hard is it to replace the motors on these...mine goes up and down by hand but runs nonstop when plugged in...or is it a different problem for mine?

Could be something simple like the relay. Have you tested it? If it is (And I strongly believe it is) it's an absolute cakewalk to do.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Boxin' Robin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Boxin' Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2011 at 8:30am
Originally posted by Nexus Nexus wrote:

I had the exact same problem. It would go up and down by turning the knob, but would spin non-stop when plugged in. Opened up the motor and saw that the teeth on the gear were stripped.

Not very hard to do, if you know what you are doing. If I could do it, anybody could do it! Took me 5 hours the first time around and only about 1 hour the second time around.

Nexus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nexus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2011 at 1:12pm

Ok I will start with the relay!!

I happen to have a spare from and Idea I started when i had a jeep...jeep is gone

SO here comes the next dumb question!!!

How do I test a relay?

Charlie
84 SE
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2011 at 1:02am

Connect a multimeter to the voltage setting and backprobe the power-side of the motor (tan wire). Check with the switch off (Or "down"). Should be 0V. Hit the switch on, and it should jump to around 12V (Might deviate slightly due to resistance).

Here's an electrical diagram to help you get your bearings, so to speak.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2011 at 1:05am
As it happens, hotlinking is not allowed by their site. Go here, and look at the first post, second image. Click that, it'll pull up the electrical diagram.
Nexus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nexus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2011 at 10:57am
right on thank you very much!!
Charlie
84 SE
Nexus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nexus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2011 at 9:29pm

OK so as it turns out I went out and hooked up the wires and the motor retracted the headlight that I had manually cranked up. I turned the lights on and the lights came up properly until it came to the end of the cycle. At this time the motor would keep running while it skipped gears endlessly.

I removed the light assembly and notice green gear like plastic in the drain hole at the bottom of the assambly...I'm guessing it's my gears!!!

maybe my limit switches are sticking also...it'll come apart and get fixed

so I will rebuild this unit with the Rodney metal gear I have and put it back in the car.

As it turns out, while I was playing with the headlights, the driver side didn't want to go up this time but I haven't put any thought into it for I'm sure it is a simple problem because it worked a couple of months ago

Charlie
84 SE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic