West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Car Chat (Not Fiero Specific) » Car Talk thats not a Fiero
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Radar detectors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Now as to driving this club has been and always will be a sports car club, not a cruising club.

Dave, looking back at this comment, what exactly does it mean? Seriously, in the context of the post it was a part of, I'm curious what you may or may not be implying.

I believe it implies doing 60MPH is not going to happen, if it can be helped.

Ok so long as no ones feathers are fuffled, we are all fine.

Everyone's fine... well, except for Tristan. I wanted to kick his butt last Saturday for texting back and forth during the entire club meeting. Kids!

Pfft, all that texting got me a new place to stay.

As a side note to one half of this discussion, why has no one touched on the obvious: Vehicle speed and highway accidents have almost no correlation. I finally found my table from the Federal Highway Administration, US D.O.T.

Category        &nbs p;  The Netherlands  Germany  Sweden  Australia   USA

Accident 
Rate         &n bsp;         &n bsp; 0.38         0.67     N/A      0.15     0.63
Accidents per 
vehicle km x 106)

Speed Limits (km/h)
Freeway          ;          120       No limit    110      110      105

(Source)

You'll note that Germany, with unlimited highway speed, has almost the exact same crash rate as the US, which is the most stringent of all five countries. People seem to forget that our speed limits haven't changed since 1960, where we were still using leaf springs and bias ply tires (Cars handle slightly better these days). In fact, in British Columbia specifically, a report advised raising our speed limits by 10KM/H, as BC had "posted limits that were unrealistically low".

Now, back to the discussion proper, what are you really needing from a radar detector? If it's just a warning beacon to let you know that "hey, slow down, cops are somewhere" a basic model should do splendidly. As you head in to higher-end models, you typically only gain more precision ("Hey, slow down, cops are 400 metres to your left"), although the price ratchets up rather quickly too.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 3:33pm

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

why has no one touched on the obvious...

And why is it that you have not touched on the obvious that damage, injuries, and deaths go up considerably the faster that vehicles are traveling during these "accidents"?

Or are you going to try and convince us that there's no difference in the carnage that occurs whether it happens at 90 kph or 190 kph?

Just telling us the "accident rate" tells us next to nothing.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 4:18pm

Well, think we htjacked Dawg's post well enough...hope the radar information was useful.

This certainly is a good topic, times are changing whether we like it or not, and the law is cracking down hard, my friends after their recent experience are now considering selling their bikes because they are targets now...so does or will a radar help, not from the conversation I had last night with the RCMP, and by the time you have a chance to react and especially dependent on how fast you are going, they will witness front end dip, rear wiggle, etc. (he shared all they look for) when one panics and hits the brakes, which then is a sure sign that someone is slowing down, never mind throwing off your suspension and potentially loosing control of your car.

End of day, we all like to step on the gas, but tech is changing so fast, the police are able to keep up, and enforce to a point where you have to ask yourself if it's worth it:)...

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2011 at 12:48am
Wow....a lot of pent up energy in this club lately....eh?

Brian, for exactly the reasons you state, I think a radar detector is mandatory these days.  Who among us hasn't gone 5 or 10 kms over the posted speed limit?  Right, no one.  They can give you a ticket for going over, no matter how much over you are.

Once I get one, it will be on constantly due to the environment we find ourselves in.  Saying you simply won't speed is not practical in my opinion.  Everyone speeds at one time or another.

So regardless of the fact that I plan to speed during our club runs I think a detector is just money in the bank at all times.

I for one appreciated that this "energy" in this thread is fueled by concern for fellow members.  However, this is a sports car club, and for me this means driving at speed on roads.  Now I don't need to go 180K to feel like I'm having fun this is for sure.  But the HIGHWAY speed limits are a joke frankly.

So what do we do?  Do we give up and move on to other more acceptable pass times or do we get smarter?  In the old days, we used to send a point man ahead to clear the way.  No high tech gadgets needed.  It ALWAYS worked.

Patrick, I'm not even sure what to say to you.  You sure like playing both sides of the fence.  Maybe I could say that reckless is a relative term.  I sure don't feel reckless at speed on a freeway or highway.  I know my car and am comfortable with my skills.

I'm sure my Granny, bless her soul, would be totally freaked out by normal rush hour traffic these days.  She would certainly use the word reckless I'm sure.

Bottom line fellows, do what you feel comfortable doing.

The Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2011 at 8:04am

Agree Dawg, well stated...moving on...so what radar will you look at?...here is a good article:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-N9zrWkOMG1r/learn/learningcente r/car/radar.html

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2011 at 1:28pm

Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

Patrick, I'm not even sure what to say to you.  You sure like playing both sides of the fence.

Damien, I didn't realize this was a black or white issue. I've never implied that I don't speed. The problem is that some people don't know when to slow down.

Maybe I could say that reckless is a relative term.  I sure don't feel reckless at speed on a freeway or highway.  I know my car and am comfortable with my skills.

That's all fine and dandy, you very well may be fine. No need to name names, but there are members of this club who've demonstrated they suffer from a certain lack a judgement when it comes to picking a time and place to let loose with high speed on a public highway.

The whole point I was making earlier is that it's far too easy for ALL of us (me included) to get sucked into a speeding frenzy when we're together on a club run. Whether you or others wish to acknowledge this or not, it's potentially a dangerous situation. We just need to watch ourselves. I don't wish to be attending a fellow club member's funeral.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2011 at 2:12pm

Points all vaild...and we have a good group...

On another note, anyone else tired of this rain!!!

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2011 at 3:05pm

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

On another note, anyone else tired of this rain!!!

Oh, quit your whining!

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2011 at 4:48pm
Nah Patty, I'm with Brian on this one: The rain is not fun. Apart from killing any social endeavors, I found myself walking from 72nd Ave to the King George skytrain station a couple days back (In a t-shirt)... I quickly learned to hate the rain.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2011 at 10:19pm
Ouch that would be a nasty walk 72nd ave to KG skytrain is about an 8km walk, doing it in the rain in a T-Shirt, I would have called a Taxi or looked for a bus.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2011 at 11:38pm
It is, so lets minimize the risks as much as possible.

One thing we can do for instance is help each other take care of our cars so they're in good shape for the runs(Tech sessions).  At the same time, gently encourage those with really heavy feet to moderate themselves by moderating ourselves first.

I will start the process by saying I will not exceed 140K's on the upcoming Whistler run.  Will you join me?

The Dawg

it's potentially a dangerous situation. We just need to watch ourselves.

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2011 at 12:00am
Brian - Excellent article.  I am considering a built in model.  They aren't cheap however.....:)

I will probably find a good deal on a decent plug in model for now to see how often it beeps during regular use.  If often enough, then maybe a better built-in unit is warranted.

The Dawg
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2011 at 7:22am

Ya, not cheap is right Dawg...I liked the detail of the article also:).

Now for that thunder and rain last night...OMG it was awesome...packing up and off to Gary's to see if we can trace my oil leak and fix it, and forget going back to the trans shop.

Enjoy the day all...Sun's out

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2011 at 11:18am

Brian: I have gotten wired into helping my Brother In law wire up the lights on his RV Trailer. So I won't be able to join you.

Sorry. 

Dawg as the beeping when not needed, that's where a text based unit comes into play.  You get to hear and read the display.  Now I have just tuned out any X band when I am in Canada, and K-Ka is the only thing I have to listen for, K-Ka is not ever triggered by anything except a cop.  X-Band is the one that gets set off with automated door sensors and other things.  Plus with a good Highway/City mode, the detector will just beep once and then display 1-10 as the signal gets higher or lower in City mode.  However in Highway mode it will beep every time it continues to pick up a given signal once its initially set off. 

Now when you are in the states especially in smaller towns, I have noticed that the cops have and still do use X Band.  So in the states any time I am doing more than 20kph over, and the detector goes off I lift on the throttle and wait to see if the signal increases or not.  

I usually pick up a single level of 1-3 as the cop is checking the cars ahead of me, so when he actually gets to checking me, I am well slowed down. 

Obviously if he is using pulse and I am the only car on the road, there is nothing I can do, however in the last 10 years, I have not been ticketed via a pulse check.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2011 at 7:57pm
Ok...so tell me, how often does your detector go off during a typical day or week?

I haven't had a speeding ticket in a very long time but I know my area very well.  I've had a few close calls however....:)

The Dawg
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2011 at 11:50pm

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

packing up and off to Gary's to see if we can trace my oil leak and fix it, and forget going back to the trans shop.

So whatcha find?

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2011 at 11:57pm

I will start the process by saying I will not exceed 140K's on the upcoming Whistler run.  Will you join me?

Seeing as how that's all the duke's speedometer goes up to, 140 kph sounds good to me. (Seriously, when you can't actually see on the speedometer how fast you're going, it takes most of the fun out of continuing to accelerate.)

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 5:41am

Ok...so tell me, how often does your detector go off during a typical day or week?

The Dawg

Honestly I couldn't tell you, as like I said I tune out the X band, and the K/Ka is so random it totally depends on if I am going through a speed trap.  Only semi false alarms on K/Ka are those new damn digital speed signs you see all over the place.  However you get to know where they are setup and you don't have to panic.  However I do usually slow down for them until I can see that they have not swapped out the sign for a real cop checking speed.

Seeing as how that's all the duke's speedometer goes up to, 140 kph sounds good to me. (Seriously, when you can't actually see on the speedometer how fast you're going, it takes most of the fun out of continuing to accelerate.)

IMHO 140 is a good compromise on speed.  

Patrick sounds its time for a speedometer upgrade for you.  Just in case you did not know, you can put a 180kph cluster in your duke.  Its a direct drop and swap install.  Heck you could even install the GT center cluster if you wanted.  Personally if you are going to keep auto crossing the car, I would do something like Brian has where the center cluster has a triple set of autometer gauges instead of the stock gauges.  

If its just the 5spd that you love so much, why not break down and do the swap, install a 5spd in your GT.  I know its a pain, but I have done it in my driveway.  You just need to find an entire donor car with a stick shift so you have all the "little" parts. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 5:58pm

Gawd damn it, I just lost a whole long post I had almost finished!  Curses, I'm not typing it all out again.

If its just the 5spd that you love so much, why not break down and do the swap, install a 5spd in your GT.

I don't want to alter that '86 GT (I should get motivated and "simply" sell it), but without going into all the details (that I had already done and then lost), I've possibly got the opportunity to make use of all the info from This thread. Look familiar, Dave?  

Yes, I have both necessary vehicles. I need to first make sure the 2.8 is okay, but the tough part is just getting started!  (And it's gotta stop raining for awhile.)

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 8:26pm

Ouch that would be a nasty walk 72nd ave to KG skytrain is about an 8km walk, doing it in the rain in a T-Shirt, I would have called a Taxi or looked for a bus.

Had no moneys. It was tragic.

140 does seem acceptable for all... It's not outrageously quicker than the standard speed limit, but still at least fun in corners.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic