West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Car Chat (Not Fiero Specific) » Car Talk thats not a Fiero
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Radar detectors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radar detectors
    Posted: 13 July 2011 at 11:58am
Since Dave isn't going to be on the Whistler run this year, it occurred to me that it might be good to look into a radar detector.  There are many to choose from.  Some are reasonably priced and some not so much.

I know very little about them in general.  So what's the scoop?  What model do you have and why?  Where's the good deals?

The Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 2:29pm

Drive the speed limit is best

This time of year they are making allot of money off that highway, I have had many friends pulled over on car & bike club runs this summer, so be very cautious...take in the views and your speed at autoX or track days

Apparently if a policeman see's a radar, they will pull you over and can fine you for having one...again better to be safe than sorry...

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 7:01pm

Na Brian that is not true.  I have had my radar detector on my windshield for well, between the various models, over 15 years.  I have been pulled over several times. None of which were because I had a radar detector, and given tickets for racing, speeding, tinted windows, and such.  All the cops saw and it couldn't do a thing about it. 

As for brands, personally I have had amazing results with Whistler. I have not had a speeding ticket in over 5 years and the only time I did get a ticket before that was because I had forgotten to plug in my radar detector.  Its now hard wired to my ignition, when the key goes on, so does the detector.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and get one with Text display.  You won't regret it.  Being able to glance down and see if it is K, Ka, X, or Laser is really nice, and being able to see what mode the system is in, be it Highway, City, VG2 Cloak mode all in text is another nice feature.

There are newer models with many more bells and whistles, like GPS speed and down loadable maps of known speed camera's and or speed traps, but my 8 year old Whistler is still doing me great to this day.  If you want I can dig up the model number, I checked recently on EBay when I thought it was dead, and found used ones of the same model going for around 50 bucks and up.   I think I paid well over 200 when I bought it, and it paid for itself in the first few months I owned it.  I use to have a monthly budget for tickets. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Na Brian that is not true.  I have had my radar detector on my windshield for well, between the various models, over 15 years.  I have been pulled over several times. None of which were because I had a radar detector, and given tickets for racing, speeding, tinted windows, and such.  All the cops saw and it couldn't do a thing about it. 

This was based on the Sea to Sky highway only from 2 friends who were pulled over for "checks" in the last two months, not the lower maninland where they could care less...

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

[QUOTE=Capt Fiero]

This was based on the Sea to Sky highway only from 2 friends who were pulled over for "checks" in the last two months, not the lower maninland where they could care less...

[/QUOTE
Then they should fight it. A Radar Detector is totally legal; A Radar Jammer is the only kind that's illegal.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 9:57am
Ok, I'll simplify this...because they had a radar, were in a group and
on the Sea to Sky, they were pulled over for a chat, basically to show
that they are watching:)

I know they are legal and all...maybe I need to add more smiley
faces:):):)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 11:28am
Well Brian, truth be told, this is something we do as a couple.  I have to come to terms with the idea that Michelle doesn't enjoy the 3G turns as much as I do....:)  So in the interest of us BOTH having a great time I will be more mellow this year.

Having said that, it would be nice to step on it a little now and again at choice locations on the way out.  Having a detector might make that a little safer.  Also, the speed limit is not exactly cruising speed either.

The bottom line is that if any of us were to get a ticket it would be a downer, wouldn't it?

The Dawg

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 2:14pm

Wow...beat me up a little more will ya all...I replied with a little humor and you all jump over the legal, etc...my message was simple to not plan to speed because I heard recently from friends what they experienced...end of topic from me.

Have fun, be safe:)

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 2:54pm

As much as I enjoy driving fast, I gotta admit I don't enjoy doing so while on a club run. Actually, I enjoy it too much.  Hang on, let me explain...

Although I like to think I'm older and wiser than some club members, it bothers me that I'm able to be caught up so easily by the "pack" mentality while on a club run and therefore end up exceeding the speed limit by a greater margin (and/or more often) than I usually do while driving on my own. I really have to fight the urge to want to be at the front of the line of club cars while on a run. (Yes seriously, even while driving the duke!)

As a club, I feel we need to behave ourselves while on a run together. Doesn't mean we necessarily need to be restricted to 100 kph and not a single kph faster, but anyone who wishes to be racing at excessively high speeds while on a public highway really needs to be driving in that manner while traveling on their own.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 5:08pm

...and discard the clubs reputation as a bunch of Fiero Yahoo's, be respectful and represent in a safe manner.

Yes, to be completely honest, I was embarrassed to be involved in the club run down to Arlington last year. Too much craziness occurred on the way there. It wouldn't have been very difficult for anyone who saw us on the highway in Washington State to have connected all those little plastic cars and their BC plates to one particular car club.

Having said that, I felt the trip to Arlington this year was a lot more controlled (possibly only due to the increased traffic congestion).

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 9:44pm

Ok first off.  Brian I know what kind of line of work you are in, and it requires you to be assertive and always direct.  Even when you are just playing it by ear you have to sound like a leader.  Your  post did come off a bit gruff.

I don't feel like everyone jumped on you, So go take a relax smoke and kick back for a few mins, everyone on this board does respect your opinion and you as a person.

Now as to the legality, that has been made clear, they are legal.  Do the cops care?  Well thats up to the individual cop.  Can he do anything about it no, but he can LOOK for other things to bust you for.  I.E. my ticket for my Lisc plate frame. Yes my Capt Fiero lisc plate frame is technically to the letter of the law illegal because it covers the outside edge of the lisc plate.

Now as to driving this club has been and always will be a sports car club, not a cruising club. 

Patrick you were the one at the June meeting Recommending that we leave earlier to Avoid the traffic as it slowed us down.  So you can't really play that card.  

Now I did not enter this thread to fight.  Seems like any time a thread comes up that involves a topic that has to do with mod or something that is designed to allow you to go faster on the street it turns into a Pro Street Racer vs Pro Track guys battle palooza.

I am not going to summarily lock this thread, as I do feel that a discussion about radar detectors could be a good informative thread ABOUT radar detectors and which ones are good.

Maybe some of you could use up some of that pent up energy to check eBay for any newer models that are a good deal.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 10:13pm
Dave, you seem to get good results with yours.  What is the make/model so I can look around for one.

The Dawg
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 10:59pm

Patrick you were the one at the June meeting Recommending that we leave earlier to Avoid the traffic as it slowed us down.  So you can't really play that card.

Play what "card"?

Not wanting our cars to be mixed up all over the place amongst hundreds of other cars on the way to Arlington has nothing to do with wanting to go 190 kph. It would just be nice IMO to be driving together on a club run without having the general public all mixed in with us.

Now I did not enter this thread to fight....

Dave, I don't know why anytime there's a discussion with opposing views you regard it as "fighting". We're all simply expressing our opinions. It's healthy.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 11:07pm

Ok so long as no ones feathers are fuffled, we are all fine.

Damian, here is the unit I have.  It works great and is fairly cheap now as it is several dozen models out of date.  If you do a search on here for CIrcut in the message body it will pop open a thread where I took it apart and cleaned the board.  Its amazing the abuse the chips took and came back to life.  http://www.whistlergroup.com/de1650.asp

Here is the board apart link http://www.westcoastfieros.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=227 6&KW=circut

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 12:33am

Ok so long as no ones feathers are fuffled, we are all fine.

Everyone's fine... well, except for Tristan. I wanted to kick his butt last Saturday for texting back and forth during the entire club meeting. Kids!

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 1:18am

Back on topic...

I have a old Bel 550i "SUPER WIDEBAND with Laser". I haven't used this thing since my original Fiero was parked nine(?) years ago. I used to enjoy the pretty flashing lights on it.

I wonder if it's any good at all detecting what the police now use?

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 6:31am
Ok, my last post I was running out the door at 5:30am:)...I was at a
charity dinner last night and met a gentlemen with the Highway
Special Services of the RCMP...how ironic:)...so we chatted...

He said even though radar are not illegal, etc...they are a trigger to
look for, then the watch and evaluate. The Sea to Sky is a HUGE
money maker for them, and they do pull over anyone suspicious to
chat, from this many fines of sorts can come from this.

Again, love everyone with this club, text can misunderstood, I do deal
with very direct one liners from my peers, but all my initial post was to
be careful and if you want to enjoy our cars in a performance
environment, we know how you can:).

Cheers and enjoy
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 11:41am

Now as to driving this club has been and always will be a sports car club, not a cruising club.

Dave, looking back at this comment, what exactly does it mean? Seriously, in the context of the post it was a part of, I'm curious what you may or may not be implying.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 1:29pm
Patrick, what was said then still applies that we are a sports car club,
but what we have to adapt is how the rules have changed as with
anything in life, and the police are now more empowered to fine you,
stiffer fines to a point here if there is excessive speeds, pay huge
dollars or loose your licence period.

Having several conversations with our Corvette & Porche friends, they
are sports clubs way more than we are, but have had to find alternate
means to enjoy the performance of their cars...so everyone is slowing
down as we are trying to get the message out for this cruise...just be
safe and again, enjoy and hope no one has a bad day because they
encountered a police officer who could be on a bad day...lol

Cheers from Nat Bailey Stadium, nooner Canadians game:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 1:36pm

...everyone is slowing down

Well, not quite everyone... as was demonstrated by the guy in the video in This thread.

...the police are now more empowered to fine you, stiffer fines to a point here if there is excessive speeds, pay huge dollars or lose your licence period.

Or lose your car.

And the biggest one to fear... losing your life (or taking someone else's) while driving recklessly.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic