West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Street Solutions DTB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 9:57pm

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

Memories...sorry Patrick I know the pics are big...go ahead and edit

Pictures are fine.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 10:04pm

See Gary the finish we had...feel bad I let it go with all the racing excitment...thaks for compliment...love your beast

And I picked this up today for $104...I got home and was going to post but CT site was down for update, the special I bought is not listed anymore, this is now the price...lol.  If bought seperate would be $350...perfect for me and my small space:)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/1/CompressorsA irTools/Compressors/PRDOVR~0997813P/Mastercraft+Compressor+% 26+Tool+Kit+Combo.jsp?locale=en

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 10:16pm

Originally posted by D_sensitized D_sensitized wrote:

I don't know exactly how much it ended up costing me in the end, but certainly nowhere near 10k. I would say under 3k. I did it slowly over a couple years so don't remember everything.

It's a nice looking (and performing) car. Now if you can just work out these latest little bugs and get your baby back on the track!

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 10:18pm
Yes
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 10:52pm
Actually Harrison, speaking of porting, does anyone know if those "ribs" inside the 2.8's head can be either ground down, of at least trimmed a little? If you don't know what I'm talking about, there's a straight piece of metal located in each of the intake ports.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 11:21pm

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

...does anyone know if those "ribs" inside the 2.8's head can be either ground down, of at least trimmed a little?

Tons of info at Pennock's about porting Fiero heads. I can't remember all this stuff offhand, but some of the bumps and ribs and whatnot you find in various places in the heads are beneficial for turbulence or flow or whatever it is. 

It's not always best to grind everything off. I know that's not what you're asking, but best to check before removing.

Are you going to add the Singh Grooves? I would if I had my heads off.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 11:53pm
Hm, no, wasn't planning on doing that. If those ribs could be removed, I was planning on doing slight angled cuts (Picture what the Acura ARX-02a LeMans car does) to promote swirl. However, with those ribs being there, I wont be able to get in far enough to do them. The aluminum heads will get that treatment though.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 12:01am

Hm, no, wasn't planning on doing that.

Too revolutionary for you?  Tons of info on this on the 'net. Lots of pictures Here.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 1:10am

See, that looks to be beyond the scope of what I can manage with a carbide tip and various dremel bits. Also, wouldn't that decrease fuel efficiency? You're essentially introducing a quench location right in the combustion chamber... And also pushing the gaskets to their limits to, by allowing the pressure wave to push in past the edges of it...

This is me being skeptical.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 9:09am

Also, wouldn't that decrease fuel efficiency

Did you read ANY of the volumes of info available online?

1Shamrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1Shamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 9:52am

Hey Patrick – Good point on the Pennock’s Forum… I actually didn’t even think of looking for any other Fiero enthusiasts before searching locally. But now I kind of wish I had…  But with the head gasket blown and with Winter approaching fast I needed to get the car somewhere quickly so I started my search looking for shops within the surrounding 30 miles because I didn’t want to have to go beyond that distance for the work needed. Which narrowed my search considerably, leaving me only 3 shops… The first two flat out said they couldn’t do a 3800 swap and the third was very reluctant to do it which is why I think they gave me such an insane amount for the swap (they actually said the ball park figure was between $8000 and $11,000 but couldn’t be more specific since they had no prior experience doing that type of swap before and they were basing their est. off of what they’ve read online).  But the 3rd Shop did have some experience with 3.4L swaps in the past and gave me a price I could work with.

To Harrison – I’m envious of your automotive skills and patience to work your way through a build like that… With the ability to fabricate and modify the parts needed to do a swap like that is an awesome feat!  Unfortunately, my sorry butt has to pay for parts or the time of someone else to fabricate parts needed to do something like that which leaves me marooned and at the mercy of what my pocket book will allow.

Brian – Wow! Nice car!!! So let me get this right, it went from a street car to a show car to a race car… Nice progression… Do you ever just scoot around town in it anymore?

I don’t suppose any of you guys would happen to have an open exhaust, headers, Y-Pipe, etc. just sitting around looking for a good home that I could use for my 3.4 swap? I’m almost positive that my exhaust is almost all original (except for the manifolds which were replaced 4 years ago). I’ve been looking for a decent set but they all seem to be a bit pricey… Any suggestions?

Thanks again everyone!

Al

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 10:32am
Aw, shucks. If you would've asked about a week ago, I'd have ported my set and given you them (In exchange for yours). I've already got them bolted back on, and ready to go though. Sorry.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 10:42am

Originally posted by 1Shamrock 1Shamrock wrote:

The first two flat out said they couldn’t do a 3800 swap and the third was very reluctant to do it which is why I think they gave me such an insane amount for the swap (they actually said the ball park figure was between $8000 and $11,000 but couldn’t be more specific since they had no prior experience doing that type of swap before and they were basing their est. off of what they’ve read online).

Al, unfortunately this is what inexperienced shops do... They jack up their estimate to some obscene amount hoping to either scare the potential customer away, or to pay for their mechanic's learning curve as he stumbles through an unknown procedure. And then it's probably botched up anyway as he doesn't know what the hell he's doing and he's pressured for time.

It's really beneficial to find someone locally who's previously done the swap and will perform the service for a fair price. That's what John Carlo was fortunate enough to do here with the 3800SC swap into his Fiero.

1Shamrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1Shamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 10:44am

Romeo - Dang...

That's too bad... Don't suppose you're feeling chipper enough to go outside and unbolt them, are ya?... jk..

Thanks though! I appreciate the gesture!

1Shamrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1Shamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 10:51am

Patrick - Yeah, I hear what you're saying about what a lot shops do to try to justify their cost on doing this type of work. But I do feel a little bit better knowing that at least the one shop had done a successful 3.4L swap in the past. And I actually met the guy who owned it once and he was happy with the work that they did...

So, I'm being optimistic about the work that is being done on mine.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 10:57am

But I do feel a little bit better knowing that at least the one shop had done a successful 3.4L swap in the past. And I actually met the guy who owned it once and he was happy with the work that they did...

So, I'm being optimistic about the work that is being done on mine.

The 3.4 will be nice. I wish I had one in the '84 that I use for autocross. (The Mighty Duke just doesn't have any balls!) 

1Shamrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1Shamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 11:21am

Patrick - Yeah, I'm really hoping I'll get some enjoyment out of the 3.4L... Which is why I was looking at upgrading the Intake Manifold and Exhaust System. It's tough to find any real reviews on this setup since most people shoot straight to the SC3800 or even the DOHC3400 installs.

And I can vouch to the fact that the 2.4/4 Bangers aren't as much fun to drive. My first Fiero (may it rest in peace- or pieces now) was a Red 86 SE w/ a 4 cylinder in it... and it rarely ever ran right... Some days I'd start it up and it would run great, 2 days later it would run doggy for a week straight... Then the stars would align in the heavens again and it would run great again for a day...  I never did figure out why...

In any case, I sold it… and regretted it… 2 weeks after I sold it, it was in a head on collision with a Chevy S10 pickup! OUCH!

The guy I sold it to hit a 35mph corner at 70mph and hit the corner wide taking out the S10. He wasn’t wearing a seatbelt and walked away with only bumps/bruises and a pierced tongue from when he bit threw it from the impact. The S10 driver suffered a broken leg. Both vehicles were totaled!  

I might still have some pictures of it from the accident somewhere if anyone is interested in seeing a dead Fiero...

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 11:30am

2 weeks after I sold it, it was in a head on collision with a Chevy S10 pickup! The guy I sold it to hit a 35mph corner at 70mph and hit the corner wide taking out the S10. He wasn’t wearing a seatbelt and walked away with only bumps/bruises and a pierced tongue from when he bit threw it from the impact. The S10 driver suffered a broken leg. Both vehicles were totaled!

Some guys shouldn't be allowed to drive.

1Shamrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1Shamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 11:41am
Patrick -

Yeah, in hindsight if I would’ve known that he was an idiot with a death wish I would’ve just kept the car…

Now there’s one less Fiero in the world…

Sorry everyone!

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 11:46am

Yeah, in hindsight if I would’ve known that he was an idiot with a death wish I would’ve just kept the car…

The problem is, he's probably still able to breed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic