West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Refreshing a 2.8

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refreshing a 2.8
    Posted: 12 April 2012 at 11:16pm

Ok the topic is not exactly what I wanted to say, but it got you here.

I have a 2.8 in Storage, its been there for the better part of 4 years. It ran really good when pulled.  It has not been turned over at all since it was put there.  Although it is dry, it has been fairly humid and there has been no throttle body on the motor, I am not sure if it even has a dist shaft installed.

I know the basics, like change the plugs, oil and flush out water.  Maybe replace the water pump and any other things that look questionable.  I don't really want to crack the motor open to replace all the gaskets.  However I do have a really nice cam and lifter set here that I would love to put into it. 

This motor will be going into my 88GT.  The 88 runs fine, but has lower compression due to bad rings causing blowby.  

Anyone got any ideas on testing.  I was thinking maybe putting a starter on it and spinning it over while its on the ground to check compression, possibly putting some oil down each cylinder first to guard against dry cranking. (possibly surface rust on the cylinder walls that could damage the rings) 

I'll be swapping this into the 88Gt with a new clutch to use as a daily driver, then keeping the V8 on permits for the time being as a weekend warrior.  Until I can switch the 88 to Collector Plates then I'll put the V8 as daily driver and use the 88 only when I have broken something on the V8.

I know I should at the least try to remove the exhaust manifolds to make sure they are ported, and possible if I go nuts, swap the current 88 Heads onto this new motor, because the 88 heads are completely rebuilt and have mild porting done to them.  If I could find a set of nice 1.6 or 1.52 roller tip rockers that would be something else I would like to toss on the motor before install. 

So anyone got any suggestions?

Oh P.S. does anyone have a photo of an 87/88 V6 oil pan, I just want to verify if the motor is an 87/88 or an 85 motor.  It was installed in an 85 2M6, however I have been led to believe that it is an 88 motor. The main external difference was the timing cover and oil pan.  Internally, if it is a "real" 85 motor it will have the higher compression pistons, (YAY COOL) but on the other hand, I'd like to keep an 88 motor in the car.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2012 at 7:20am
Leave it in one peice if nothing's obviously leaking.
Pull the plugs and fill all the holes with ATF. Let it sit about a week.
After a week, drain the engine oil, then slowly turn the engine over by
hand several times. Roll it on each side if that's an option.
That should free up any stuck rings.

I've always wanted to wire up a "test harness" for starting an engine
on the ground/bench. If you're not in a rush lmk and I'll see what I can
do.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic