West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Buy / Sell » Vendor Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fierostore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fierostore
    Posted: 26 June 2013 at 1:49pm
I just thought I should post this. I have great admiration for the folks at Fierostore. Most of us have ordered from them, either as a group or as single person order and we've all at one time or another complained about the shipping costs. Truth is, it's not their fault. Yet, where other US companies have simply decided they would not deal internationally because of the problems they get, Fierostore continues to service Canadian orders.

Fierostore have gone to great length to make it easy for Fiero owners to get parts for our cars as they become more and more scarce over time. Given the number of potential customers they might have, it's a high risk business venture at best and they need to be able to make parts available to us at a reasonably affordable price and still make enough profit to remain in business. So for that, I am thankful for Fierostore.

With the need to keep prices affordable, there is a trade-off in parts quality. For the most part, the quality of parts from Fierostore have been good enough at best. Not original GM Factory perfect, but just good enough to fit in our cars and do the job. An example would be my coolant overflow tank I bought. I needed to put a heat gun to get it to fit properly to mount on the front wheel fender of my car where it's supposed to be. The fit wasn't perfect, but close enough that with a bit of effort, it would fit. Another order was a hose kit when I replaced all the coolant hoses on my Fiero. There was one hose that simply was the wrong part. I had to find a generic hose locally. So I now have one new hose where I have no idea where it would go. Finally, my latest order, a back-up light switch where once turned on, it does not turn off when you go out of reverse gear. You have to go into your console and manually play around with it to get the switch to disconnect the circuit. I will drill one out to fix it from the inside, myself. So for some of the parts from Fierostore, with us being in Canada, we need consider it as buy at your own risk. They are not "perfect fit from the factory" parts. But mostly adequate to keep our cars running in good shape.

In all of this, Fierostore customer service has been very good. They have been courteous and in the case of the back-up light switch, they sent me a second one to see if I just had a defective unit. They were going to send me a prepaid envelope to send the old one back, but when they realized I was in Canada, they told me to just keep it. They even offered to refund me for the switches if I sent them back, but the shipping cost was more expensive than the switch itself so they told me to just keep the switches. I'm not going to ask for a refund because I think I can make it work properly in my car.

In conclusion, if you need new parts for your Fiero, the Fierostore is a great place to get them. They're customer service is excellent and they continue to develop new replacement parts for our cars. But their shipping costs are bit on the high side, especially for Canadians, and the parts, though adequate are not always perfect fit. I don't like to dampen what is supposed to be a positive review, but I did, unfortunately. I still highly recommend the Fierostore because I have gone to other places that have done worse and I will continue to support the Fierostore with my business.    

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2013 at 2:52pm

Ken, I'm curious. What carrier does The Fiero Store use when shipping to Canada? Do you have any choice?

My experience has been that when shipping goods to Canada from the States, if USPS (United States Postal Sevice) isn't offered by the vendor, I don't order. I refuse to be gouged by the private carriers (such as UPS and/or FedEx) with their "brokerage" fees.

Not sure if anything has changed in the last few years, but this is an interesting thread to read from Pennock's...

The Fiero Store Canadian Orders !!!!!!!

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2013 at 5:29pm
They use UPS....and I have to say I have never had a real problem with FS and I have ordered a lot over the years...recent order I paid $100 in duty for $700USD in items, not bad:)...then there have been shipments I did not pay a cent, so it all depends, maybe tightening up more.
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2013 at 6:00pm

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

...recent order I paid $100 in duty for $700USD in items

Was that duty, or taxes?

And what was the "brokerage" fee that UPS charged? Or was the fee hidden in the shipping cost?

When I brought my track tires across the border (picked up from Ship Happens in Sumas), I was charged 12% in taxes, but that was it... no duty.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2013 at 7:58pm
Was Duty & Taxes...and shipping was identified seperatly at time of order
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2013 at 7:59pm
Wow, sh*t Happens hey...guess I better get my passport renewed and consider that option for tires myself, may not have the time and just go direct to 1010
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2013 at 8:17pm

Wow, sh*t Happens hey...guess I better get my passport renewed and consider that option for tires myself, may not have the time and just go direct to 1010

Ahem, that's Ship Happens.  

Here's a link to the company (and same tires) that I dealt with through eBay - Click - I paid $426 shipped.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2013 at 9:34pm
Well you know the tread I am looking for, I'll look how much...and the car is still in the works, apparently I have been running really rich and sh*tty for some time, so more than manifolds
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2013 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Ahem, that's Ship Happens.  

Here's a link to the company (and same tires) that I dealt with through eBay - Click - I paid $426 shipped.

Nice tire Patrick, $147CDN and 180

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireM odel=Ecsta+XS&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=245WR7EXS&tab=Sizes
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2013 at 1:41pm
The last order I made, it came by Canada Post. I never did get a bill or anything for additional taxes so I guess there wasn't enough there to tax. Total bill came to just over $200 of parts including shipping.

I received an email awhile ago that Fierostore now has even cheaper shipping for very low cost and lightweight parts. I think they heard my complaint that it's a shame a $5 switch costs $15 to ship here.

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2013 at 5:27pm

Originally posted by beken beken wrote:

The last order I made, it came by Canada Post. I never did get a bill or anything for additional taxes so I guess there wasn't enough there to tax. Total bill came to just over $200 of parts including shipping.

In theory, anything with a declared value of over $20 being brought across the border will be taxed.

But see, that's why choosing USPS (and Canada Post once it crosses the border) is the only way to have items shipped from the States. If that order had been shipped via UPS or FedEx, not only would they have absolutely collected the 12% tax, but they would've also charged you their outrageous "brokerage" fee for the pleasure of doing so.

If USPS/Canada Post had collected the 12% tax (which in this case they didn't), they would've charged NO additional fee.

Sounds like The Fiero Store has improved their treatment of Canadian customers. Good on them!

Rob N. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob N. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2013 at 8:25am
I agree that they are realy great to deal with. I have all my parts shipped USPS. They are far better to deal with internationaly they most other companies that I deal with.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2013 at 12:18am
Yeah, my stupidly large order earlier this month was less
than a hundred in shipping/tax, which was incredible given
the size of the box.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic