West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Off Topic » Got something you want to talk about.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Highway!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Highway!!
    Posted: 11 January 2014 at 12:08am

I drove this road last night. Great views. Better get on it before the trucks clog it all up.

The South Fraser Perimeter Highway.

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
D_sensitized View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2014 at 8:50am
Is the entire thing open now?

I've taken the stretch between 176 and the Patullo for a
while now, and it is a very nice road. Will still take the
Port Mann in rush hour though.

I will have to try the rest of it sometime.
-Harrison
88GT 3800 SC1 F23 5-speed
Chilliwack
Jim85GT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jim85GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2014 at 11:21am
I tried the highway about 2 weeks ago, right after it opened. Thought it would get me to the Vancouver Dump faster with my Christmas Tree(From Delta), it wasn't until I approached #10 Highway that I saw the only route to the dump (which was on my left) was to turn right onto #10 and head to the over pass for River Road.  The signage stated to turn left as you came to the over pass intersection and head over the over pass and turn right (now your heading to White Rock) and stay in the right lane until you approach the new over pass.  Now you have to get into the left lane that goes under the over pass and around to the new highway (heading back to the Alex Fraser bridge), now make a quick right turn at the sign, down in the direction of the dump....Wow, if I hadn't taken the split seconds to read and comprehend the info, I would have been lost.....Since that day I have been on the highway several times and have seen a lot of lost soles, stopping with their tree trimmings etc, trying to back into the turning lane etc etc.   Seems as though the best access is from Vancouver..
Jim85GT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jim85GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2014 at 11:28am
Yes, the highway is really smooth and the trucks are traveling at about 50km over the speed limit as, I was driving at the posted 90km and they were passing me like I was stopped.  I am sure this will chance with more traffic heading that way.  Could be a good drive for the Club if we could set up a tour at the terminal to show us how the coal shipping, dumping and loading happens.
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2014 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Jim85GT Jim85GT wrote:

...Could be a good drive for the Club if we could set up a tour at the terminal to show us how the coal shipping, dumping and loading happens.

Great idea, Jim

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
andrewjohn6985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote andrewjohn6985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2014 at 11:50am
I would love to have that ride.
Andrew John
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2014 at 6:50pm
Cool...good for cycling?
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2014 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

Cool...good for cycling?

Not really. You might get blown off the highway by all
those big trucks zooming by.   

The highway was closed for the afternoon rush last week
when a truck got flipped blocking both sides of the
highway.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2014 at 9:33pm
I had to run out to see Dr.Fiero and Jims85GT today, and seeing as the new highway starts or ends basically at my front door, I decided to take it out there today. I can't belive how many different speed limits there are, I felt like I was contstantly speeding up or slowing down. I was also very uncomfortable/nervous by not having a clue where I was going. I drove it around 5pm going out at and 7pm coming home, at spots I was doing 120kph with traffic, others I was jamming on the brakes down to 20kph with large trucks. Also due to my own faults, I am having a hard time with night vision, and all the headlights coming at me from the trucks, my car is lowered, and a dirty windshield left me completely blind to the point that I got freaked out and was hitting the brakes because I could not see where my lane was.    I imagine the road is great in the day, and after a person got used to it, would be fine. I saw several spots that would make awesome 1/4 mile street drag areas. Zero Cross streets, perfect smooth, 2 lanes with a shoulder.... if I was still involved in it, man it could be fun.   I guess I am starting to get too old though.    
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
ARTIC-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ARTIC-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2014 at 10:06pm
The day i pick up the tranny,@ Daves,i miss his turn off @ 104th an ended up on that road. Theres no where to U/turn if you miss the last street.20 min turn around time,an yea i bet the on coming lights are bad @ night there, its dark.is it just me or is every yum yum on the road have after market head light know, that are so bright coming @ u- they blind you!
Geeessss.
SNOW MAN

87-GT/AUTO-2.8_ WHITE

88-TTop/ Duke-2.5. RED
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2014 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

...I can't belive how many different
speed limits there are, I felt like I was contstantly
speeding up or slowing down.

You drive the speed limit?   

ARTIC-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ARTIC-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2014 at 6:27pm
When iam Driveing my 6.5 diesel suburban,its not as fast as my Fiero.
Its a bit of a land yacht,you probably would never get a ticket in it.
ive had 3 suburban, over the last 23 years an come to think of it-NO- have never got a ticket in any of my suburbans,LOL i guess i drive to slow some times,With a truck that weights this much empty,and ive got a lot of stuff- someFiero parts,tool box,lead,ect that i cart around in it-500LB -all most 3 Tons on wheels-LOL.Parking lots are Fun!
Cheers

Top speed-----99MPH

Curb weight estimated:

2570 kg / 5670 lbs

Accelerations:

0-80 km/h (s):

0-100 km/h (s):

Edited by ARTIC-1
SNOW MAN

87-GT/AUTO-2.8_ WHITE

88-TTop/ Duke-2.5. RED
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2014 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by beken beken wrote:

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

...I can't belive how many different
speed limits there are, I felt like I was contstantly
speeding up or slowing down.

You drive the speed limit?   

LOL, No, but if its a 60kph zone, I have to speed up to 80kph and if its a 100kph zone I have to speed up to 125kph, and if it drops to 50kph, I have to drop down 65-70kph. Or if my Radar detector goes off, I have to drop down to within 10kph of the limit then when it goes quite I speed back up.   

Its been over 10 years since I got a speeding ticket, and that was the one day I did not have my detector plugged in. Now I have it hooked to ignition sourced power so when the key is ON, the detector is ON, and when I stop someplace it shuts off. I never remove it from my windshield.

I don't usually worry about it getting stolen as I have a really good alarm with several BLUE LED's flashing and if the alarm does go off, its got twin sirens relayed power direct from the battery. VERY LOUD.    

People say Oh but Pulse does not give you a warning, well no it does not, but I can usually pick up the signal from when he zaps the cars ahead of me and I slow down.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic