West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Off Topic » Got something you want to talk about.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Test Test

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Test Test
    Posted: 13 March 2014 at 8:56pm
This is just a test to see what happens.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Jordandsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jordandsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2014 at 9:07pm
ya i been trying to get on the site... ahaha not
everything is working yet but atleast i can get logged on
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2014 at 6:12pm

So what's going on?

Many of us couldn't access the site as it appears our bookmarks... www.westcoastfieros.com are no longer valid.

Why is it necessary to now change these bookmarks to westcoastfieros.com to access the site?

People who don't get and/or read the chat emails (and see the discussion on this) will just figure the club's website is dead when their bookmarks no longer work.

Edited by Patrick
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2014 at 6:20pm
Well Patrick when you figure it out you can let everyone else know.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2014 at 7:28pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Well Patrick when you figure it out you can let everyone else know.

Were you aware that people haven't been able to access the club's website for the last three days?

I bring it to your attention, and mention what I discovered (trying to be helpful), and I get a smartass comment like that?

Real nice, Dave.

Edited by Patrick
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2014 at 8:19pm
Dave, I google West Coast Fiero club...

West Coast Fieros Club : Home Page
www.westcoastfieros.com/‎
As of 2013, we are the largest Fiero club in Canada. Situated in the BC
lower
mainland our club enjoys a mild climate. As a result, we try to hold
outings

And I get this...

westcoastfieros.com

This page provided to the domain owner free by Sedo's Domain Parking.
Disclaimer:
Domain owner and Sedo maintain no relationship with third party
advertisers. Reference to any specific service or trade mark is not
controlled by Sedo
or domain owner and does not constitute or imply its association,
endorsement or recommendation.
Privacy Policies

Edited by Car-2-Lo
Johnny-B-Good

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2014 at 10:22pm
The IP that I was given from Graeme won't work even by typing in the ip directly. So I don't know what the issue is. I have spoke to Graeme about it, don't know what the issue is.

This whole thing started when the Graeme told me that the site needed to be moved to a cheaper server. I said sure, he gave me a new IP to point our domain traffic too and then poof. We tried back and forth several time to get it right. He feels its a problem with our host 1and1 they feel its a problem with his configuration.

In the end, neither Graeme nor I have the time to fiddle with this constantly. Just an FYI, the club has never paid or used club dues for the forum. Graeme donates his time for that and his personal server, I donate my time for domain management as well as email stuff. (members email accounts and mailing list subscriptions)

If this can not be resolved, it may be the death of the forum. I'll ask Graeme before that happens to save a backup copy of the clubs front pages and move them to the club funded server, so the site will still be here, just no more forum. If someone else has substantial experience with this, and wants to take on it all, feel free to come forward and we will see what you can do.   Maybe we should just have the forum link point to the Facebook page. I don't know what will be the best option.

John we are doing what we can with what we have to work with.   However thanks for your Helpful reply.

David
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2014 at 10:57pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

The IP that I was given from Graeme won't work even by typing in the ip directly. So I don't know what the issue is. I have spoke to Graeme about it, don't know what the issue is.

This whole thing started when the Graeme told me that the site needed to be moved to a cheaper server. I said sure, he gave me a new IP to point our domain traffic too and then poof. We tried back and forth several time to get it right. He feels its a problem with our host 1and1 they feel its a problem with his configuration.

Is there a reason why you couldn't have responded in that manner to my concern about the forum/website, instead of posting what you did. 

I stepped away from the club for a couple of years because of nonsense like that. I was hoping it was all in the past. Maybe not.

My apologies for actually giving a hoot about what goes on here.

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2014 at 2:01am
Thanks Dave for your response, I thought the club fund paid the forum, but then it isn't.
We can't let the club forum DIE, we should have enough money to keep it running, eh !
Glenn read out club funds and it was lots in there, so lets pay for the club forum, what's wrong with that ?

Actually I'm getting to old for this, I'm out

Edited by Car-2-Lo
Johnny-B-Good

karnak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2014 at 9:10am
If needed, I have a static ip available to host the site. Free of charge.
Just let me know. From the administration side, I am not much use...

Let me know...

Gary
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2014 at 10:22am
The only problem here is that the www subdomain is not pointed to this server. If you don't use www before the domain westcoastfieros.com then it works. It's an issue with 1and1 (the domain registrar) as for some reason pointing the domain to this server does not point the www subdomain. It's bizarre.

Other than that, everything is working fine.
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2014 at 10:34am
I've made some changes in the 1and1 admin panel, they make take a day to take effect but it should resolve the issue.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2014 at 12:01pm

Originally posted by Graeme Graeme wrote:

I've made some changes in the 1and1 admin panel, they make take a day to take effect but it should resolve the issue.

Thanks Graeme. Accessing the forum works fine with the old bookmarks now (although I notice there's still a "500-Internal server error" when trying to upload an image).

IMO, without a forum the club would find it difficult to survive. The forum is an integral part of West Coast Fieros.

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2014 at 5:41pm
If it comes down to it, I'd be willing to take over hosting this site. I didn't offer in the past because I don't have a clue how to set up a site that uses ASP (the technology this forum runs with), but in the worst case scenario I know I could probably migrate all the posts to some different forum software. I fear that if this forum shuts down, so does the club.
88 Formula 5 speed

Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2014 at 11:00pm
The forum isn't going anywhere, so nobody needs to worry at this time.

As for migrating.. I wouldn't count on it. This forum software is almost 8 years old now and runs on an access database.

Uploading eh.. I'll look into it.

Edited by Graeme
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2014 at 11:24pm
Nope, sorry. The components that this forum supports are mostly out of date and don't work. The one that supposedly works, isn't working.. I tried a few different tests and configurations.

So.. if you want images in your posts then you'll need to embed them from flickr or whatever. 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2014 at 1:29am
Graeme the club server has the option of being a Linux box or a Windows Box, we are allowed to switch once a year. The Windows box supports almost all major coding languages.

Is it even possible to export the user database from this forum. (name and passwords) build a new forum located on the club sponsored server, that is more up to date. Then import the user information. I don't know about threads or other data.

Oh I think I figured out why the club forum stopped emailing out information. If when Damian took away my Admin rights here, he went into the forum admin menu and mucked around with the email settings there, that would have killed it. IIRC it was using a club@westcoastfieros email account to send its mail. If he changed anything in regards to the mail server settings it would all be broken.   If you want to put me back on the admin for the board I can take a look and see.

David
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2014 at 10:58am
In theory we should be able to migrate this forum database to some other forum software, but unless there's already a script to do it (not likely) it would be a tedious process. We'd also probably lose attachments and pictures, and the users might need to recreate their accounts.

If the club really wants to move the site in this direction, I'd be willing to do the work.
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2014 at 11:24am

Originally posted by Cheese Cheese wrote:

We'd also probably lose attachments and pictures...

Aw man, it would be a real shame to lose all the images.  Not only would it be sad from a historical point of view, but it would also totally ruin most of the tech and build threads. They'd be rendered completely useless.

If the forum database is migrated at some point, and if there's a way to do it, images posted in forum threads really need to be saved!

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2014 at 9:50pm
The company that programmed the forum software is still in business.
They have ways of updating to more modern systems seemlessly. We
would need to pay for their latest version is all.

Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic