Forum Home Forum Home » Events Section » Meetings, and Events Info
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Next event is Arlington drive 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fieroman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2014 at 9:34pm
yes we are still going to Arlington. We will be meeting at
the Tim Hortons at number 10 Highway and 152nd between 6
o'clock and 630 on Saturday morning. We will be leaving
promptly at 630 and heading across at the truck crossing.
From there we will gas up and head to Bellingham to pick up
Charles (I believe). from there we'll take the backroads if
somebody knows where they're going. I've tried to do it on
this electronic tablet and its not being very helpful.
Fieroman88
Fieroman88 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fieroman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2014 at 9:54pm
Yes we are going to Arlington this Saturday. We will be
meeting at Tim Hortons at number 10 Highway and 152nd
between 6 a.m. and 630 leaving promptly at 630. We will be
heading across at the truck crossing and getting gas and
heading south to pick up I would guess Charles. I have only
heard from the people on the forum, I have no idea if Colby
is gonna make it or not, hope he does. Not sure which way
were going down cuz I don't have a map and this electronic
crap is horrible to deal with for back roads.
Please confirm who is coming.

Fieroman88
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2014 at 9:56pm

I just got home after being out all day. I've got a route mapped out here which I'll post tonight. It's actually quite amazing what can be done with Google Maps.

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2014 at 10:10pm
Realistically, I won't have my car ready by Saturday unless I take shortcuts putting it back together, which I really don't want to do. I'm still open to heading down there as a passenger, though.
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2014 at 11:54pm

I've taken a few suggestions into consideration and come up with the following route.

One question I have though, is why do we meet at that particular Tim Horton's on 152nd St and #10 Hwy? I don't know what directions other people are coming from, but it's a long slow drive going south on 152nd with a ton of stop lights to get to that particular Tim's. And it's not even directly on the way to the Pacific Hwy border crossing. People from east of 176th need to drive too far west to get to it. May I suggest we meet instead at the Tim Horton's at 17695 64th Avenue which is one block off of Pacific Hwy.

Whether someone is coming from the direction of Vancouver or Abbotsford, they just take the 176th St exit off the freeway, go directly south to this Tim Horton's, and then as a group we go directly south to the Pacific Hwy border crossing.

--------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: We will be meeting at the original location...

Originally posted by Fieroman88 Fieroman88 wrote:

Tim Hortons at 152 and #10

--------------------------------------------------------

Here's what the map of the entire route looks like.

We'll be meeting Charles at location D, which is at a store/deli right beside the road.

I should also mention that just before we get to the airfield, there is shopping for picnic supplies available at Safeway and/or Haggen where we turn off #9 Hwy onto 204th St NE. (Close to location E on the map.)

To see what I was looking at with Google Maps while working this out, click HERE. Once you're there you can zoom in on the map, etc.

And to print out the exact route (with street names, directions, etc), click HERE.

And while you're on that page, you can even see the same thing along with a whole bunch of images of the various roads by clicking on "Street View" (top left corner). Google Maps is great!

Feedback? Questions?

Edited by Patrick
redwilley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redwilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2014 at 4:31am
Tim Horton's 176th Cloverdale area is good for me.
Redwilley
redwilley
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2014 at 10:43am

Originally posted by Cheese Cheese wrote:

I'm still open to heading down there as a passenger.

Colby, if you wish to be the official navigator (seriously), you can come with me.

Will you be driving the Caddy to the TimHo's we're meeting at? I'm not picking you up in Abbotsford.

Edited by Patrick
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2014 at 1:34pm

I've made a minor change to the map (and the links) posted above to include where we'll be meeting Charles. (Location D.)

Edited by Patrick
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fieroman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2014 at 10:05pm
Too late to change the meet place. Would possibly cause
kaos.
Fieroman88
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2014 at 10:43pm

Too late to change the meet place. Would possibly cause kaos.

Kaos? With whom?

Looks like we have a maximum of five people meeting to cross the border together... Maureen, Jim, Colby, you and me. Charles is meeting us in Bellingham.

The only person who might not be aware of possibly changing the meeting location as of tonight is Jim. I'll volunteer to contact him.

Seriously though, are you aware of anyone else who's expecting to go with us to Arlington who hasn't posted in this thread?

If you honestly believe changing the meeting location is going to cause some kind of problem, we can meet at the old place... but please re-consider the suggested Tim Horton's one block off of 176th.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2014 at 10:50pm
@ Patrick the reason we used that meet location is / was it was on 152nd and many people were coming to the club meetings at the Ricky's on 152nd. However the biggest reason we did not use the Tim Horton's you suggested, It didn't even exist yet. I think changing it for next year would be a GREAT idea. However the reason not to change it right now, is because no one knows who MIGHT show up. We used to always get a 1/2 dozen cars show up that had not said they were coming, and some that we had never even seen or heard from before. They just read it marked it on their calendar and showed up.

Also make sure that everyone has GMRS / FRS Radio's for the run. Especially those that plan to drive well over the limit or those that plan to do exactly the limit.   I can't go as I am not allowed into the US right now. Have Fun you GUYS and make sure to take plenty of photos.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 12:04am

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

I can't go as I am not allowed into the US right now.

Dave, you need to quit getting into bar fights down there.

...the reason not to change it right now, is because no one knows who MIGHT show up.

An asteroid MIGHT conceivably show up as well.

We used to always get a 1/2 dozen cars show up that had not said they were coming, and some that we had never even seen or heard from before. They just read it marked it on their calendar and showed up.

It ain't 1999 any longer.

I think changing it for next year would be a GREAT idea.

I think it was a GREAT idea for this year.

Patrick, the reason we used that meet location is / was it was on 152nd and many people were coming to the club meetings at the Ricky's on 152nd.

I hate doing stuff that no longer makes any sense, but fine, I should've brought this up for discussion earlier.

Okay... everyone who's going to Arlington will meet at the original location.

Tim Hortons at 152 and #10

Edited by Patrick
redwilley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redwilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 7:13am
See you Tim Hortons 152 #10
Redwilley
redwilley
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 1:29pm
The reason we met at Tims at 152nd and Hwy 10 was because
it was closest to the border crossing for those not
living in Surrey/Langley and eastward, and had lots of
parking and gas stations there for those of you running
on fumes hoping to barely get to Blaine.   In fact,
before Tims was built there, we met at the gas station.

Since most Fiero drivers in the club don't live west of
the Pacific Crossing anymore, it doesn't matter where to
meet next year.

Sorry Patrick, it doesn't have to make sense. Neither
does driving around in a 30 year old car, But it's so
fun.

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 3:56pm

Originally posted by beken beken wrote:

Sorry Patrick, it doesn't have to make sense.

I'm beginning to get that impression.

Originally posted by beken beken wrote:

...it doesn't matter where to meet next year.

Cool. Next year I'll suggest we meet in Upper Lonsdale.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fieroman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 7:40pm
See u in the morning.
Fieroman88
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 8:27pm
Alright, I'll see you all early tomorrow morning. I'm going to be driving out to Tim Horton's and then hopping in Patrick's car for the drive down to Arlington.

I've updated Patrick's map with the starting point of 152nd and #10 (here). I'll bring a few paper copies with me.

And Patrick, I'm all for changing the starting point, but next year bring it up more than just a few days before the event.
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 9:11pm

Originally posted by Cheese Cheese wrote:

And Patrick, I'm all for changing the starting point, but next year bring it up more than just a few days before the event.

Ya ya ya... I think I've heard it enough times now.

Bring your fancy new camera. See you tomorrow.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2014 at 9:24pm

Got home about half an hour ago. As I sit here I can feel the room moving beneath me.  No, I'm not drunk... but I'm feeling the residual effects of driving fast on twisty roads over an extended period of time (x2).

There were a few errors in navigation, but nothing serious. It added to the fun. My navigator nodded off on the way back from Arlington (can't take kids anywhere ), so that led to a couple more new back roads being discovered.

I think we all enjoyed getting off I-5 and testing out the handling of our little plastic cars on some bends. I'm already thinking about next year's trek.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fieroman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2014 at 10:32pm
Fabulous trip!!!! Good call for the back roads! Navigation
was good as we got to and from OK. Somewhat good video to
come. Weather was nice, sunny and warm and we all enjoyed a
fabulous day driving and experiencing each others company.
Thanks to Jet City for another great picnic and one we look
forward to each year to attend. Lots of beautiful and
unique cars there, and just hearing the "Hows and whys and
ifs tells so much to the story of how the car got to this
point. Many thanks to a great team effort by all.
Fieroman88
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic