West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fiero Loses power under Load

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mumbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiero Loses power under Load
    Posted: 20 November 2015 at 5:09pm
Hello, Yesterday while driving my fiero lost power under load and seemed to stumble.  This problem is evident both at high speed and at low speed.  There is a small exhaust leak near the EGR but no other known mechanical problems.  Any idea what the problem could be?

Idle sounds normal and is just below 1k,  slight whirring sound is present while maintaining revs at about 3k. 

Car is an 88 with the V6 and Three speed auto.

https://youtu.be/Q_noTIUjSgo

Thanks!
ARTIC-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ARTIC-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2015 at 9:09pm
I had a simaler problem,turned out to be the connection at the coil,I looked at
Your Vid,an judging by your Tac just dropping off like that,I would check all Plugs
connection in the motor Well,it's a start,hope this helps.good luck.
SNOW MAN

87-GT/AUTO-2.8_ WHITE

88-TTop/ Duke-2.5. RED
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2015 at 3:20pm
Also check for all your vaccuum hoses for any cracks or leaks.  

Also check your fuel supply.   Make sure your car is not starving for fuel flow.   Fuel filter should be replaced every few years.   I have never had a GM fuel pump last more than 10 years on any GM car with an electric fuel pump.  

Hope that gives you some places to start. 

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2015 at 6:12am
Yeah, the fuel filter is always a good idea, but....  since the tach snaps down like that, it seems more ignition related.

The list is...  well...  long.
Shorting tach filter
Failing ignition module (lets face it - super common!!)
Coil wire connector dying
Ignition coil failing

Problem is, until it DIES, it's really hard to trace an intermittent.

Fieroman88 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fieroman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2015 at 7:15pm
If you own a Fiero you should be carrying a complete distributor and coil as a spare. O'Rielly Auto Parts in Bellingham is the best place to get one as, the distributor with a lifetime warranty at like $125 us. Much cheaper than what you can buy in Canada. I had the same problem last year and changed that out to resolve the whole thing. Trick is make sure you put it back in the same position when you pull it out for timing reasons.
Fieroman88
Mumbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mumbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2015 at 7:57am
Thanks for the Suggestions guys, I have a whole list of things to check now haha.

one thing I noticed is my dizzy is very corroded, but the internet seems split as to if this is normal and to be ignored or something to try cleaning / replacing.  What do you think?  Unfortunately i'm not sure how to post pics on here. 

Thanks,
Ryan
Mumbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mumbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2015 at 6:03pm
Thanks for the help guys, turned out it was the ignition module.  Once that was swapped out its been running great.
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 10:16am
Good know you have it under control and are back on the road.  Hope to see you around on the road soon.  

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Fieroman88 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fieroman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 1:43pm
Great to hear that. Don't know where you're located but hope you can make a meeting someday. Always welcome.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic