West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Off Topic » Got something you want to talk about.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Phew!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phew!
    Posted: 08 October 2007 at 11:45am
Was playing with some of the settings on my PC here...

Thought I'd grenaded the CPU for sure!

If you go a bit overboard on tweaks on this thing, you can power cycle it a few times via the power supply switch (effectively pulls the plug), and the board will reset itself to stock settings.  This gives you a chance to go into the BIOS and reset a few things back to a more normal level.

Anyhow, I power cycle it like 10 times, and nothing! 

Pull the lid off to see what's up... I hit the power switch - but the LED's on the motherboard are still lit up!  WTF?!  I pull the plug.  Still lit up.  Kill my external HD.  Still on!  Well, it seems that my pair of new 7 port USB hubs (which are self powered) were backfeeding 5V onto the motherboard, keeping it 'just enough' alive even with the cord pulled!  So, it never realized I'd actually pulled it's plug.

BIG sigh of relief though...  powered them down, cycled the power supply - and boom it comes back.

Guess taking an E6600 that's supposed to run at 2.4G and cranking it up to....  ohhhh...  3.6'ish was just TOO fast! 

3.15G (350 * 9.0) with an FSB of 1400 seems to be OK though if anyone's keeping score (stock heat sink, etc).

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2007 at 1:11pm

Great Overclock.  Glad you did not fry anything though.    You do have to be warry of cheap (not name brand) computer parts.  I have learned after a few hard knocks, that there is sometimes a reason that a part is 1/10 the price of the same type of part at Best Buy or Future Shop.  

P.S.  Thanks again for fixing the issue with the Van.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic