West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Car cleaning tips for all pontiac show?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car cleaning tips for all pontiac show?
    Posted: 01 June 2008 at 7:04pm
In light of the all pontiac car show next sunday, i thought it might be an idea to post up some simple tips on how to spuce up your fiero.

So far i have a few projects planned for this week:

1. Get it on the road again!  (kind of a big one lol )
2. Tint taillights  (should be a fairly easy/quick project)
3. Polish lips on GT rims  (again, shouldn't be too hard)
4. Wash, claybar, wash, wax (time consuming but should yield nice results)
5. Clean and shine interior
6. Maybe tidy up the engine bay a bit, dunno how far ill get with that though.

So, how are you planning on getting your car ready for the show?

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 8:34pm

Clayed, polished, 2 coats of wax, exhaust tips, tires & rims, and all compartments cleaned...ready to go:), did all this on Saturday as I won't have time this week until that morning:)...covers on so the birds won't sh*t on it...hating Sparrows...lol

Look forward in seeing your side, you have been putting allot of time into it:)...do you have a picture?...nice to take one when all done as a comparision.

Some nice pics on Saturday with Blair...his sure is ready:)

Edited by Bassman
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 9:15pm
wow, thats a clean ride right there :D  Nicely done. What tips are those btw?  I just realized i only have 4 pics of my car.. don't know why i haven't taken more, since ive had it for a year already.  Its got a few flaws but i like it still :)  These are all from the day after i bought it, ill take some more after i get it ready for the show.  Do you have any tips for washing the engine bay?  Im worried about electrical connections and such.

you can see on the last one it has some small blemish on the front ground effects, need to see about getting that repainted, same goes with the decklid, theres a small clip i should get fixed.  Other than that , the paint has held up well for 20ish years :P

edit: found a few more

You can see the small chip on the decklid, its tiny but it bugs me :P

i always thought it was kinda cool that it had the original dealer floor cover things, unfortunatly i think after all these years the adhesive probably mended with the carpet :P 

feel free to recommend/give your opinions on different products, waxes, claybars etc..   I haven't bought a claybar yet but i was thinking about the mothers claybar kit (might have been meguiers though)

Edited by kawana
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2008 at 8:26pm

Wash, Rinse, Repeat

Tire and Wheel Cleaner on Wheels

Oven Cleaner on Exhaust Tips

Wash, Rinse Repeat

Wheel Cleaner on Wheels, more Oven Cleaner on Exhaust

Wash Rinse Repeat

Engine De-greaser on Engine, More wheel cleaner

Wash, Rinse Repeat.

Wax on car, Buff

Wax on car, Buff

Wheel and Tire Shine on wheels,

Wax Car, Buff

Find creative ways to hid flaws in paint.

(giant paint cracks in front corner of nose)

Drive it, and pray you don't get behind a big truck.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2008 at 5:50pm

Hey bud,

Here is a great link with tips, etc.: http://www.meguiarscanada.com/

Meguires now has at CT a clar bar kit which is allot nicer than the Mothers...products are pretty much the same.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT %3C%3Eprd_id=845524443251546&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=14084 74396672466&bmUID=1212539762284&deptid=1408474396672 395&ctgrid=1408474396672402&subctgrid=14084743966724 66

Now with David suggestion list...all good, I love ya David but oven cleaner on the exhaust tips???...Ouch:).  Buy a good cream cleaner is my suggestion...works great also and allot easier to work with, safer too:).

For tires...if you like the blinding shine then allot of products out there that last a few days, or the Meguires Endurance ROCKS!...nice clean shine and lasts 10 times longer thank anything else I have ever used...scroll down to it...available at CT & Lordco: Tire%20Care&sectionID=18101">http://meguiars.com/estore/ product_list.cfm?sectionname=Consumer%20(Meguiar's%20Brand)& gt;Tire%20Care&sectionID=18101

Start of each year I will clay (this year really didn't have too thanks mainly for the car cover), Meguires ScratchX (Didn't this year), Meguires Polish - sometimes 2 coats, then Meguires NXT Wax with 2 coats. 

Now I switched waxes this year to Zymol which is a water based (so soak sponge) and is all natural product...doing my part for the enviroment.  I will say, easy and nice shine:). http://www.eshine.ca/products.php?cat=79

For Interior, this stuff rocks and many will support this...303:). http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product .display&Product_ID=428&CFID=22203241&CFTOKEN=52 250599

Suggestion is to allow 24 hours between waxes to allow the coat to cure...all depends on how much time you have, for me, another coat will go on I hope before Saturday because I have again a car cover which is such a time saver:).

Hope this helps...and all hand buffed, I don't find a polisher much help on the small areas.

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2008 at 6:54pm
I wont be able to keep it off the road for 24 hours between coats, so after the first one, do i just wash the car again and apply the 2nd coat?    Is that dove(might have been dawn?)(the one they use on the ducks covered in oil spills :P) dish soap good stuff to use? i heard its gentle yet effective.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2008 at 6:57pm
NO!!!!...dish soap is like wax cleaner:).  No need to wash, just dust off, or the spray that comes with the clay kit which is a detailer...use that, nice and gentle.
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2008 at 7:04pm
what do you guys use to get any wax residue out from the cracks between body pannels?

also, any idea where i can get that VHT niteshades tint stuff? Or a good equivalent?  And where can i buy various grits of sandpaper for smoothing out the rims before polishing?

Edited by kawana
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2008 at 7:24pm
Toothpicks, Q-Tips...as for the other items I would think CT would have the sandpaper, etc...allot of work man, and potentially if you don't know what your doing could damage the rims
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2008 at 7:44pm
true, maybe ill save that for another day.  I bought a power buffer at canadian tire awhile back and it helps alot on the big areas.. Really saves your arms lol :P  Your right about it not being good for small areas, but i cut about 20min off the waxing of my car, and my arms were not as tired :P

k well i figured out how i can keep it off the road for a few days, would putting on a 3rd coat be worth while or would it not really show?    Can you recommend a good wax and interior care products that i can get at lordco or somewhere easily accessible. I have a few but have had mixed results. I got Some Turtlewax: Icewax  or w/e its called, the streak free stuff. But i found that it took FOREVER to buff out. Friggen PITA lol :P.   So about those creative ways to desguise paint chips, what did u mean exactly?

edit:  Also, i got that black luggage rack dealy on my decklid, any ideas on how to spruce that up? It doesn't like waxes too well :P 

edit 2: For the engine bay, you say to degrease then wash. Its the washing part im worried about, getting water on electrical connections and such. Any tips?

Edited by kawana
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2008 at 8:05pm
Click on the links I sent in my previous email...good info in there
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2008 at 8:29pm
k, lots of stuff to sort through :P

any opinions on Mothers Carnauba wax (think thats how you spell it), i got an bottle of that, that ive been meaning to try.
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 9:47am
Arg.. doesn't look like the rain is going to let up anytime soon. Gotta figure out when i can wash it  :P Bet id look silly washing my car in the rain :S

So, its pretty unavoidable that even after the waxing and such, it'll get wet on the drive down there. Will it suffice just to dry her off once were all set up?  Will the wax still look as good?    Also, is this going to be indoors or outdoors?
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 4:49pm
You should be alright, this show with the drive and all the bug splatter, etc., we all touch up our cars when we are there, but it's not a real show...it's about the drive as a group. 
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by kawana kawana wrote:

Ais this going to be indoors or outdoors?

Outdoors.  Both.

Pick up a bottle of Meguirs "quick detail".  Works wonders.  Bring a couple towels for it.

beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 5:10pm

I have a Griot's claybar.  Works great.  But have never used it on the Fiero. 

Wash, wax, vacuum.   Use toothbrush and Simple Green on wheels. 

Hope we get good weather this weekend.

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 5:11pm
k, will do.  Do we register at the door, or do we need to phone ahead?
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 5:32pm
You can register at the gate.  Just tell them you are with West Coast Fiero's.

Edited by Capt Fiero
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 6:54pm
k so i think i have my basic list of products:

Wash: dawn dish soap
Clay:  Meguiars Claybar kit
Scratch polish:  Meguiars Scratch X
Wax:  Meguiars NXT 2.0
Engine:  Degrease/ Meguiars Quick interior detailer or 303 aerospace protectant  (where can i find this? Would lordco/CT have it?)
Tires:  Meguiras Endurance
Rims: 
Mother's Mag Polish

Then ill pick up some
Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer.

This is a compilation of 3 different sources of recommendations, it seems that meguiars products are the most popular :P

So now, any tips about actually washing my car, with it raining and all. I was thinking id just take it down to one of those self/wash booth things, but will there be too much grime on it from the drive home, to put the wax on??

edit:  1 more thing, is our group going to be stationed outside?  Tents or no tents?  Cuz it looks like were in for rain.

Edited by kawana
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 7:16pm

Saturday is supposed to be nice, Sunday....well, we are in Vancouver so that could change:).

You seem to have a good list, if you bought/buy the Meguires Clay kit, the detailer is already.  As for washing your car, either simple wash or take it to a self wash station.  You will be claying the car which will be a deep clean anyways, just make sure you have allot of micro fiber cloths (Costco real cheap for a 20 pack)...as for all the products, even with our club discount at Lordco, same price at CT...and both stores would have all the items.

As for tents, there are a few on Saturday, a few bring some for the Sunday show which we all huddled under when it did rain a few years back...or was that last year?...lol

Let me know how the Mother's Mag Polish works:)

Edited by Bassman
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic