West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

air care issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2008 at 12:42am
oh yeah, could you guys post your emails or pm them to me so i can send the pics?
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2008 at 12:44am

Originally posted by 88FormulaFiero 88FormulaFiero wrote:

he said that he still had a copy of your old chip but that it wouldnt work unless I managed to find a good 85 ECM as thats what yours was running on,

Geez, I imagine a good 85 ECM would be a helluva lot cheaper than that datalogger!

Would an '85 ECM be 100% compatible in an '87

Originally posted by 88FormulaFiero 88FormulaFiero wrote:

oh yeah, could you guys post your emails or pm them to me so i can send the pics?

It's in my Profile (at the bottom of all my posts).

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2008 at 1:01am
All Fiero ECMs can be swapped. 85-88 V6's just the 85 had a few good features like you could add a knock sensor for a turbo and such.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2008 at 1:19am

Okay, and I just found out while searching at PFF that PROMs aren't interchangable between the '85 and later ECMs.

Your PROM was originally for an '85 ECM, which is why Ryan would need to get an '85 ECM in order to be able to use a copy of your old PROM in his '87 Fiero. Now I get it!

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2008 at 1:26am
Ya even a stock 85ECM is IMHO a better program due to the timing and fuel curve changes.    Hence why the 85GT/SE V6 4spd cars are the fastest cars.   Oh and the high compression in a factory 85 motor. (8.9 vs 8.5 in later cars)     However ya, the 85 ECM has to stay with an 85 Chip, but you can swap the entire ECM and chip into any year V6 Fiero.   John sent me the chip and ECM list.  I think there were over 40 diffrent chips used in Fiero's.   The worst was the California Emissions Chip, the best was the general USA 85 Chip.   Its funny how the rated performance never changed in the books however there were a lot of changes in the ECM which made and lost rear wheel HP over the years.   Another good note is the 86GT Lace wheel and tire weighs almost double what an 85GT wheel and tire weigh.  
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
88FormulaFiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2008 at 1:45am
hmmm... I think i'll order an 85 ECM and get a chip from John, i'll also start trying to figure out how to pull the injectors to get them cleaned and flow tested as you suggested earlier, what is the name of the place in langly you reccomend?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2008 at 2:25am
I don't have the addy handy, but IIRC Its Diesel Fuel Injection Specialties on the Langley Bypass around 207th st.    Its been about 5 years since I have been there, so I would call them up and make sure they are still around and get current pricing from them.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2008 at 2:34am

Compare the local place (if it still exists) and their prices to a couple of service centers recommended at PFF.

Flow Testing and Cleaning

Here - $16 per injector

And this place which is just down in Washington State.

There - $18 per injector

Okay, it’s late and I’m going to bed. I’m supposed to be working on my girlfriend’s Volvo tomorrow!

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2008 at 2:43am
Ya I guess it is pushing 3am and I have to be up around 6am.  Maybe I should hit the hay as well.    As for working on a Volvo if you get stuck, Johny, my cousin aka Copbait, is a Volvo mechanic at a dealership in Poco.  Drop me a PM or a call on my cell and I can get you his contact info you end up needing it.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2008 at 2:50am

Thanks Dave, I'll keep your cousin in mind if I get stuck. (It's more damn AirCare issues.)

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2008 at 3:26am
Oh Frack Good Luck and good ngiht. 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
bill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2008 at 6:40am

I'd think that hauling the injectors out and having them cleaned and checked might be a way to go.

Or just put the original ones back in if you have them and see what difference it makes.

1988 3.2 turbo Fiero

1957 3.4 in Jamaican MG

2009 2.0 Pontiac GXP coupe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic