West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT failed AirCare, need advice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 9:43pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Is the INT your Intake Air Temp sensor?

Dave, are you perhaps getting that confused with the MAT (Manifold Air Temperature) sensor? If so I believe my MAT is fine, as on a cold  start it registers exactly the same ambient temperature as the coolant temperature sensor which feeds the ECM. The MAT then proceeds to show a higher reading as the temperature under the decklid increases.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 9:58pm
Sorry my bad, brain was in the wrong place.  My Caddy Fiero has an intake air temp sensor, that is actually in the intake manifold.  The Fiero sensor is on the air cleaner box.     Sorry the last couple days have been way to long for me.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 10:01pm
Hey, no problem. I appreciate the fact you're trying to be helpful.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 9:11pm

The good news...

I passed AirCare !!!!!!!! 

The readings were relatively good...

I went to the Surrey AirCare station today (Thursday afternoon) and was hoping they'd do the same as they did with Dave and NOT do the driving test due to Fieros being "too low" for the dyno as reported Here. However, they did the whole test and the GT passed easily enough. And keep in mind this was with NO cat. (Well, there is a cat on the car, but it's completely hollow!)

The bad news...

Even with the GT running just fine (supposedly) and passing the AirCare test no problem, the gas mileage is still absolutely pathetic - 14.36 MPG with my last fill up, and that's with me driving like an old lady.   

I've been taking it ever so easy on the gas. I'm even putting the car in neutral every time I slow down and stop so that the transmission isn't putting any drag on the engine while I'm sitting at a light.

I may end up re-connecting the EGR and re-installing the stock PROM to see if that helps as this just isn't good enough.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 10:03pm
By your readings, you are not running as rich as you were before, but HC are still high, if you have already replaced the O2 I would start thinking about getting a set of injectors rebuilt.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 11:03pm

The O2 sensor is brand new, but yes, the injectors are possibly in need of a proper cleaning/rebuilding as this GT had been sitting for six years when I bought it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic