West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Capt Fiero's new 87GT Project Car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 19>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

Make sure you slip the release fork up a bit, then lube the area of the shaft that rides on the bushings.

lol

I wanna go fast.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 11:04am

Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

Make sure you slip the release fork up a bit, then lube the area of the shaft that rides on the bushings.

lol

Can I quote a quote, ya that might sound a bit dirty, however I do know what he is talking about.  I did not even think of it in a dirty way until you posted the LOL.

I have my grease gun loaded with a tube of synthetic grease all ready to go.  I always lube the shaft at both ends, then fill the release bearing up really well.  Hell I even put a dab of grease in the external clutch release arm where the slave pushrod presses on it.    I plan to also put some grease in both axle seals to help seal against any leaks and aid in installing the CV shafts so I don't tear a seal.

Ok here is the painted, cleaned trans.  I use a hot paint method to give it a baked on finish.   I use my 40,000 BTU heater to heat the trans case, rotating every 10mins until it is hot enough that I can't really touch it with bare hands.  Then I warm the spray cans until they are just barley warm.  (not so hot that they risk blowing up, but hot enough that the spray comes out fast and smooth)

After several coats, and heating the case again between coats.   As the trans cools the finish gets really nice and glossy.  The paint actually soaks into the cast case.    I usually paint it with everything installed, then take off what parts I want back to natural colour and run them on my wire wheel.   I usually don't paint the inside of the bellhousing, but in this case I did, just to make it easier to clean when I take the trans out.    Grease and dirt have a much harder time building up on the trans once it is painted.

This is not to everyones taste and some think painting the trans is a waste, but I personally really like the look of it in the engine bay and it is just kinda "My Thing" I myself like to open the deck and see it all nice and red. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 9:36pm

Feb 17th Update and Pics

Ok first pic, its Tremclad, Gloss Fire Red paint.

This is the only real shot I got of the heater.  The exhaust temp on it is enough to light a cig with. Will burn leg hair and attempt to ignite your pant leg if you are not careful.   It takes between 20-30mins to get an entire trans hot.  

All installed on the engine, with all the mounts bolted in place. 

Here you can see a little bit of my exhaust issue.

A little closer

Yep in the perfect place to shut down my build.

There is just no way to tweak anything to get enough clearance.

Slightly lower angle

I have got no choice, I am going to get a buddy that has a mobile welder to come over once it is in the car, and try cut the existing pipe, then add in a section to push the flange out a bit.  I'll wait till its in the car so we know exactly where everything will lay.     

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2009 at 8:12pm

Well here are todays progress pics.  For being nearly a month behind schedule on this build, I think today progress made up for a lot of it.

Sorry I did take any shots of us moving everything around and getting it into place.  First thing we did was moved the V6/Cradle and suspension out of the shop.  Then moved the hoist out of the shop, then did a quick clean up, so we had a straight shot with the V8 / 5spd cradle to under the car.  I set up my 2 floor jacks like skates to roll the assembly out.  We got everything out of the way and started moving.  That is where the pics start.

Engine into rough location

First pic of the 3 spoke wheels on the car. Just just seem to fit nice.

Another side profile shot sorta showing the engine under the car.

Car lowered down and crane removed.  The Blue paint is because I ran out of black Tremclad and I did not want to skip out on the anti rust coating.  The area won't be seen, or I would have went and bought some more black.  The next time I have the skin off, I paint over the blue with some nice gloss black.   Whenever I have a car apart, it always gets a good spray down with anti rust paint on all the metal surfaces.

Another shot from the side.

See It FITS.

Well looks like I need a little trimming.  The valve cover is just barley touching the hing area.  I had that area trimmed in the 85, looks like it will need to be trimmed here as well.

Thanks to Car-2-Lo that mean looking deck lid is going to provide a great look to the back of the car.  Will be much better when the black bumper skin and tail lights are installed.

Now that the project has progressed to outside, I am going to be reduced to working during daylight hours only.  But the big hurtle is over.  Getting the engine into the car.  The rest is going to be re-plumbing the cooling system to accept the changes for the 87 vs 85.  Running the wiring and changing any wires that have to be changed for the 85-87 harness changes.    I am also not sure if when it is plugged back together, when I hit the key if the starter will even fire.  In my 85GT which was an automatic, had been re-wired to run as a standard.  However the wiring changes were not stock, I got mad in my younger years, and cut the purple crank wire and ran it straight from the Steering Coulomb direct to the starter solenoid.  I always intended to fix it some day, but 6 years and it never once gave me an issue.  When we did the V8 install, we were so rushed (10 days start to finish) That it worked and there were more pressing things to worry about than fixing an old bypass.

As cosmetically blemished as the car is right now, I am really happy how the build is shaping up.  I found a neat surprise when I had the front end up, it has an aftermarket addco front sway bar installed with poly bushings.  (The cradle has poly as well, but the old control arms did not)  My rear control arms that are being used do have poly though.

I figure another couple days of tinkering and she will be on the ground.    :)

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2009 at 7:23pm

I didn't get a whole lot done the last 2 days, as I had to do some doctors appointment junk and some shopping.   However I started (emphasized "started") some of the cosmetic work on the car today.  I got rid of the busted left front fender and replaced it with a black one, I also removed the right front fender and replaced it with a black one.  The doors will be my next project.  Still not sure if I want to just swap the entire doors from my 85GT or, swap out the locks, inner and outer door panels leaving the door frame and motors in place.    There are no keys for the doors on the 87, well, no keys for anything on the 87.  I had to put my 85's steering coulomb in the 87 just so I could steer the car and check the electrical out.  I also put on the black GT bumper.  I am really regretting not washing it before I took the pics.  I almost said to heck with posting the pics and waiting until tomorrow.  However anyone that knows me, knows that cosmetics come 2nd, drive train is always my first priority.  Well here are todays shots.

Right Side

Left Side

Rear

This is my favorite shot.  Man that nose and hood are going to look so cool together after paint.  Then the roar of the side pipe exhaust, its going to be one hell of a complete package. 

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust.  MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics     Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
marcelvdgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marcelvdgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2009 at 7:40pm

David

what flywheel and clutch combo did u use

as i may keep the 4.5 caddy and put into the 85 coupe

M

Marcel 86SE V6 Auto
85SE V6 Auto
85 2m4
soon to be sleeper 3.8sc 5 speed
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2009 at 8:01pm

Here is the clutch I used,

check out the Hooks going to the metal plate on the inside of the pressure plate.  I have never seen that in any other pressure plate I have ever bought before.    Another note is that the rivets are massive in comparison to other clutches I have used.  Plus the springs are 80% enclosed in the disc, so I doubt I will be popping those out any time soon.

This should be interesting.  This super heavy clutch and the torque of a 4.9 hooked to another Isuzu.  (an Isuzu that I have noted is not in perfect shape to begin with, diff is making noise)  If figure if it lasts long enough to get my hands on a 3.32 4spd (about 2 months)  I am going to be happy.  

Enough with the chatter here are the pics.

I will be posting a scan of the invoice to show price, address, contact info and part numbers tonight.  Just don't have time to run it though right now.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2009 at 8:03pm

Clutch invoice and installed,

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2009 at 8:08pm

I have tried in vain to find the address and phone for LSC Performance, and I can't find it.  Spent half an hour going through old threads on PFF and just don't seem to have it anywhere.   I can email you a copy of an excel spread sheet with ALL the part numbers + locations and prices to do a 4.9 5spd swap.  Just let me know what email addy to send it to.

Read over this thread, http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000015.html

LSC Performance Flywheels came through with my NEW not redrilled 4.9 flywheel.  Made from billet steel weights 15 lbs is custom made for the Fiero / 4.9 standard trans swap.  They are in California. 

Here it is, sorry for the bad pics. But you get the idea of it.

First pic is front, 2nd pic is back.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2009 at 8:38pm

We have Target Locked and ready to go,

This is the flywheel I am using.
LSC Performance Flywheels:
Tom Johnson 1-951-245-6367
18975 Nichols Road Suite C
Lake Elsinore, CA 92532

New billet steel flywheel for the caddy bolt pattern for $245 shipped. Weighs only 15 lbs.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2009 at 8:12pm

Ok so the day started out kind of late, on top of working on the 87 I needed to replace the radiator on Lisa’s

(aka FieroChick on here)  85 V6 car.  We struck a deal, that I would do the rad and resiviour swap on her car while she got

started on the interior stripping on my 87GT.  The first set of pics is showing where a nearly stock engine bay will have

clearance issues on a 4.9.  I’ll explain as I got.

Idler pulley is less than ¼ inch from stock battery box.   It’s no big deal as I am going to remove the battery tray and do

a front mount battery install. My motor is in the exact same spot as any other 4.9 however it sits a little higher due to

the mount design I used.

Coiler cooler pipe and related vacuum lines on the firewall are getting yanked.

Its close, but everything clears, the open hole gets a K&N breather filter installed there.

Another odd mod, I found, when I pulled the Fiero ECM out, it has a Mr. Gasket Chip in it.  It’ll get tossed on the shelf,

and going to have Watts, (another forum member) hook it up to his rom burner and see just what was changed.  For the record

these chips offer nearly Zero real performance gain, only reason to have one is if the EGR is disabled and the Rev Limit is

removed.

Nice Find Kenwood 160w (peak) 4x10’s.  I checked on a few sites, they are listed for about $100 USD.  Considering I only

paid $300 for the entire car, it’s a cool find.

Lisa pulled the dash, and we are getting close to ripping the interior out.

Perfectly good 180 speedo, I am going to use my other cluster as it’s already modified for the V8 tach input.

The mess of wires in the center was fed through really slowly and will all get sorted out and hooked up for the caddy fuel

injection.

Carpets out.

Little bit of rust on the plugs

I removed the floor pan plug as it was really rusted on the passenger side, and gave everything on the floor pan a good

shot of TremClad.

Wow I did not know these things were even still kicking around, worst Alarm on the planet.  Found it tucked up under the

passenger side dash.  It’ll be removed and garaged. 

Nearly perfect seats, they will get wrapped in plastic bags, with moisture removing tabs then put into storage

I can’t get over how nice the seats are, the passenger side looks like new. 

After getting rid of all the pine needles it looks much better up front

Red Trans kind of peeking out from the side.

We took a few more things off the 85 today as well. 

It’s kind of sad to see the 85 being stripped, however most of the parts that come off it, are ending up in the 87 and the

parts that don’t go onto the 87 will find their way onto Lisa’s car. 

The black carpets will be cleaned, and re-dyed black before they go into the 87GT.  I have not driven the car as a driver

in over 18 months,  so hell knows how old those frys are.   The pile under the carpets are pieces removed from the 87

today.

Well that’s it for today, hopefully I can do a little more outside tomorrow before it rains, then I’ll spend the next week,

with the interior parts in the garage, cleaning, prepping

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust.  MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics     Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2009 at 10:13pm
Perhaps I'm missing the obvious, but why are you changing out a next to perfect interior?

Otherwise, excellent progress. How's the shoulder holding up?
I wanna go fast.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2009 at 10:48pm

Well its 80% emotional, when I climb into the cabin of the car, I want it to feel like my 85GT.

The rest is because I have a weeks work in making the interior custom black. 

I prefer the 84/85 seats with speakers in them, so I want those installed for sure.  My 85 gauge cluster is setup for a V8 so unless I want to mod another Tach I have to use my 85 Cluster.  (cluster is formally from a CDN 88GT so its a plunk in for the CDN 87GT. 

Keeping my 85 Parts is keeping part of my teenage years.  (I got the car when I was 17 still in high school.  I lived my teenage years in that car, and even met my wife while driving it.  I learned auto mechanics on that car, and it has been a huge part of my life over the years.  Even started the Fiero club while driving that car.

That's why so much of the 85 will live on in the 87GT.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2009 at 3:09pm
I guess that makes sense, just that's it's a lot of work for sentimentality.

But if you've got the time and the final product is worth the effort, I suppose it's justified.
I wanna go fast.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2009 at 7:06pm
I know its more work than it should, and in reality the car will be worth less with all my 85 parts on it.  However its the way I want to build the car.   I could probably just re-do the 87 Interior in a similar way to my 85, but it just wouldn't be the same to me.   When you have owned the exact same car for 15 years, and treated it like a member of the family, horsing around, having fun and spending most of your time with it.  You'll understand. 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2009 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

When you have owned the exact same car for 15 years, and treated it like a member of the family, horsing around, having fun and spending most of your time with it.  You'll understand. 

Probably not. I rebuilt a 1978 Cutlass from the ground up. Re-did all the wiring, drive train, etc. It took almost every free hour of my life for 10 years. (It took that long because of money and that I was learning how to wire, rivet, grind, sand, puddy, paint, uposlter, etc) It was my first real car and I loved it like a child, but dropped it like a hot potato to buy a wedding ring. 

I met a woman who grabbed my attention, far more than my 350 Olds Rocket ever did. To this day, the wife says she never has to worry about me cheating with another woman. She worries about loosing me to the garage. I don't blame her for worring, I was listening to my collection of V12 sound clips last night for an hour.
I wanna go fast.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2009 at 3:31pm

Every now and again, someone that feels they are an expert at working on something, has a moment, that makes them sit back and go WOW.  I just learned something totally new.    I had been fighting with myself over the issue of moving the 85GT doors to the 87GT or, skinning the 85GT and 87GT and swapping the inner/outer door panels and locks.

From work previous to dozens of Fiero's doing work on the lock rods can be a frustrating, time consuming task that leaves me with bloody cut up hands and tool throwing fits of rage.   I talked to a few people that have done lock swaps in Fiero's and they gave me the same story, one of the biggest pain the butt jobs going.  I was just about ready to say screw it and just swap the entire doors.

Then again after talking to a few more people that have done complete door swaps, gave me yet another horror story to think about.  The doors over the years kinda mold them selfs to the cars.  Getting a 20 year old door to line up perfect on a different 20 year old car, can be from difficult to near impossible. 

Oh great so do I spend agony over the locks or years of frustration over doors that won't open/close perfect or have a major gap when closed. 

I turned to the great knowledge base call PFF.   Thanks to a couple helpful members pointing me to a thread that had a most awesome step by step on how to skin the doors, I decided that skinning would be far better than doors that don't seal.

I got the tools together and went out to the car.     I had my Air-Punch to remove the pop rivets, and got started.   Removal on the 85 is where I found the new piece of knowledge that made me go WOW.

The lock is CONNECTED TO THE DOOR SKIN,  not part of the door.  Once you get all the skin screws off and rivets out, all you have to do is unhook two rods and the lock/tumbler pulls away with the door skin.   I just about fell over with this piece of knowledge.  I DON'T HAVE TO FIGHT THE LOCKS.    Just pop the skin off the other door, slide this one on, hook up the 2 rods and its done.  A job that I had planned for 2 full days of monkeying around, is only going to take 2hrs.  WooHoo.   Well here are todays pics.   I was only able to spend about 2hrs on the car today as it started raining.  So I did not have time to get the tools out, then get one door done, then get the tools put back away before I was soaked. 

Inside of 87 door, was pleased to find the OEM paper was still on the inner door.

Insider of my 85 door.  Paper has been gone for 10 years, and always had a bad draft

Impact beam, on the 85 door.

Skin removed on the 87 showing the 87's impact beam

All back together.  Man that really changes the look of things.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2009 at 5:56pm
Almost looks like something from Road Warrior or some other post apocalyptic movie.

I think it's the rivets on the cowl that really capture that tough look. All you need now is to tint every window so that no one can see you and add some laser guided missiles or at the minimum smoke launchers to cloak your escape from.... work?
I wanna go fast.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2009 at 6:05pm
LOL, the rivets are actually 1/4" self taping coarse thread sheet metal bolts.  They will be removed, replaced with mushroom head smooth top bolts, then glassed over to give it a smooth finished look rather than the look of bolted on.    Well see how it goes over time. 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 4:34pm

Well most of the stuff today was non photo stuff.  Swapped out the passenger side CV as it was toast, and a few other mechanical changes.  The good stuff was I got the passenger side door skin on, and got the rear skin to finally line up with the aid of some heat, so know the marker lights are properly installed in the back.  Also got the metal clips moved around so the front marker lights are installed.

Of note, the 85 Power windows use a different connector and even different colour wires than the 87 power mirrors.  So I went ahead and used the 87 mirrors.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 19>
  Share Topic