West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Removing the intake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing the intake
    Posted: 09 December 2008 at 9:13pm
Hey, I'm about to start removing the intake and know i need a torx set (spelling) would a metric one be what I need? also any other specific tools you guys would reccomend I have on hand?

also the haynes manual says that you need to remove the valve covers and drain all the coolant to remove the intake, but I cannot find mention of these steps on pennocks where this is covered.  Is this really nessessary?

Thanks,

Ryan
Kyng_72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kyng_72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 9:45pm
so far I have found all the nut and bolts on my 88 are metric and the screws are either philips, or that funky star shape.
as the average human male life span is around 72 and I am now 36 can I officially consider my fiero as my midlife crisis car?
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 11:22pm

Originally posted by 88FormulaFiero 88FormulaFiero wrote:

Hey, I'm about to start removing the intake...

You need to be a bit more specific than that. This intake is made up of three sections.

What exactly are you doing?

88FormulaFiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 11:27pm
Trying to remove the injectors

"ts not to bad of a job
basicly its removing the upper plenum. theres quite a few thing attached to it tho.  be VERY careful with the EGR tube. its brittle, and its expensive.
also, all the vacuum lines are attached. they can be brittle also. they hold their shape, and are easy to put back
and then, theres the AIC tube, that goes from the throttle body to the intake manifold - just note its position - its easy to forget to put back.
once the plenum is off, undo the 2 fuel lines & the cold start injector line. now, your almost there.
pullout the injector harness. might wanna mark the ends 1-2-3-4-5-6.
2 more bolts holding the fuel rail in. once they are out, start rolling the fuel rail back & forth, and it'll eventually pop out, with the injectors hanging on.
the injectors have little clips you that hold them to the fuel rail. these bend easy, so be careful. push the tab, they'll rotate over, and the injector will be free to come out. but, it wont come out easy. twisting & pulling will be required. be careful. they will be tough. make sure you dont drop/let fly the injector when it comes free - or the fuel rail. thats basicly it. while the fuel rail is out - keep it clean." Is what I found by
Pyrthian on Pennocks

But when I look in my Haynes on how to remove the intake it says I need to drain all the coolant and pull the Rocker arm covers too, I havent found mention of needing to do this on the forum so I was wondering if it was unnessisary haynes section 2B-3

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 11:33pm
oh, nm.  Feel quite stupid right now, to get to the injectors only need to remove the top part of the intake and the haynes instructions are to remove the whole thing, sorry guys
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 11:35pm

I think the confusion is that it's necessary to drain coolant etc when you remove the entire intake manifold assembly (all three pieces), but I believe you only need to remove the upper plenum to gain access to the injectors.

I've never removed my injectors, so in a day or two you're going to know more about doing this than me.

[EDIT] You posted while I was typing. Sounds like you're pointed in the right direction now.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 11:38pm

What are you going to do with the injectors?

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 11:38pm
haha, hope so .  Definitely going to be a learning experience 

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 11:39pm
still debating on whether to get them cleaned or just put new ones in, either way i'm going to stick with the 19# ones as i'm switching to the 85 ECM with david's chip.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 11:41pm

Depending on where you get them serviced, I've heard that used injectors which are cleaned and flow tested can be better than new ones. Would save a few bucks too I imagine.

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 11:52pm
I'll phone around tomorrow and see what I come up with, and start pulling things apart ,

anyways I'm going to go catch some sleep, goodnight 

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 10:55pm
hmmm... got almost everything attached to the upper plenum disconnected (other than one side of the EGR tube, I think I need to take off  the distributor to get to it?) but the plenum seems solidly stuck would something like RTV sealant do that? any suggestions on the best way to separate it?

Thanks,

Ryan
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 12:38am

I've done this twice on two different 2.8 engines. In both cases the upper plenum just popped off when everything was disconnected. Didn't even hurt the gasket. No sealant such as RTV had been used on either.

You might want to try unattaching the TB from the upper plenum (remove the two mounting screws) so that you can more easily (perhaps) detach everything else from the TB once the upper plenum is out of the way. Of course, you don't really need to completely remove the TB for what you're doing, but it would be a good opportunity to clean it up, paying special attention to the IAC passage.

You might also wish to permanently disconnect the two coolant lines that go to the TB if you still have them. This is a common procedure with 2.8 owners.

You don't need to disconnect the EGR tube from under the plenum to pull the plenum if the tube is disconnected from the EGR itself.

You're going to want to pull the distributor anyway as it needs to be out of the way to access the cold start injector. Keep in mind the cold start injector could be leaking just as easy as any of the other injectors.

Just be very careful you don't crack or break any of those plastic vacuum lines. They are VERY brittle!

This is what you'll eventually be seeing (well, maybe not the badminton racket)...

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 7:25pm

So Ryan, how goes the battle? Haven't been too many updates for awhile!

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 8:01pm

oh yeah, sorry I forgot about this thread,

So far Ive taken off the intake had the injectors cleaned then reassembled everything, blocked off the EGR, but left most of the hardware in place (just in case i fail nox ) and now i'm just waiting for a new chip and to finish the interior work before air-careing it again.  lets hope it passes

Thanks again for all the help you guys

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2009 at 12:47am

Ryan, time for a monthly update!

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 2:54am

pretty much the same position as before, engine is all done, interior is now done to the point of being driveable (still need to relocate some of the stereo and alarm wireing / electronics), and i'm just waiting on the chip

you wouldnt happen to still have your old 85 chip would you capt? or anyone else have a regular EGR delete chip they wouldnt mind parting with?

Thanks,

Ryan

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 9:22am
I have several chips here, but I haven't used them in so long, I don't know what chips are what.  Some were designed to run on 19# injectors where we would reduce the fuel map, some were designed to run on 15# injectors where we increased the fuel map, and if I gave you the wrong one, it could make your car much worse.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 9:58am
I can still do one for you - I just have no idea when I'd see you to get it to you (I assume you're still transportationaly-challenged?)!

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 12:34pm

you found the file? If you have it I can try arrange a time to get out there sometime between thursday and sunday.  or possibly at the club meet? depends what works for you.  

Thanks,

Ryan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic