West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

We got SNOW!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2008 at 3:23pm
Well, looks like the torch trick did it - I just had to give it more time for the steam to move it's way up the line.

Laundry done. 

(oh, if you try this - make sure you don't get it so hot you break a soldered joint somewhere, or worse melt a plastic line!!!)
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2008 at 11:20am

Well damn, it's really starting to pile up now! Sure glad I braved the crowds yesterday and did some grocery shopping for my 88 year old father. (I didn't want him walking the couple blocks to Metrotown and slipping on some ice.) I think my Fiero will be parked for a few days now.

I'm sure a lot of us will be able to take some great pictures of our poor Fieros buried under a thick blanket of white stuff.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2008 at 11:29am

Have breaky and heading out for a walk through Queens Park...I wanted to get my GA out for a cruise, but the hill where I have to come out off is way to steep...lol

We did the same thing yesterday...did the shopping for what we needed and plan to take transist if needed...have fun everyone, if driving be safe:).

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2008 at 4:31pm

LOL, This kinda snow is the most fun to drive in.  Nigel was in his Fiero, I was in my 88, Chris was in his 4x4 Truck, friends were in a new VW Rabbit and a Honda Fit, we drove to Guildford did cookies and drifts in the back parking lot, then drove to the industrial area and went drifting around the deepest snow we could find, then went back up the hill from 176 back up to Guildford and went to the lower parking lot that has not been plowed so the snow was really deep. (Well about 20-30cms if you call that deep)  Chris managed several 4 wheel drifts in his truck.  I did some awesome figure 8's.   Some of the most fun was chasing each other from 160st up 104th Ave to 152nd Street.  We were the only ones actually doing the speed limit or a little over.   Man it was a blast, I honestly forgot how much fun was to go horsing around in a car in the snow.   I drove Lisa to work in Port Kells at 5:30am and just got home from picking her up.   There is an 18 wheeler that went over an embankment on 176 street, that has got the 176st area closed down.  At first all you can see is the trailer sticking out of the ditch and you don't see until you get pretty close up to it, that the Tractor is still attached and hanging over the embankment only being held up by the trailer that is stuck in the trees.  

I got all of this on Video, both in car video and other people with Cameras took video as well.   Just what I have here is about 1.3 gig and I think there is another 2 or 3 gig to be edited down. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2008 at 5:28pm

Well we got out for a walk and wanting to drive so bad...but it's the hill from my underground garage:(.

Here are some pics...Go Canada:)...lol.  Time for rest as I slipped a few times and jolted my shoulder, Xmas Paralizers rock:)

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 5:39am

Well I spoke too soon.   I made it 6ft.   Snow here is taller than the turn signals on my 88.  I may have good traction, but not good enough to use the car as a snow plow.   We are going to wait until day break and try to dig the car out.  However for the moment, she's not going anywhere. (The car or Lisa)   I'll post pics later.

Oh Video's all the raw videos from Yesterday are uploaded.  You can download the raw stuff or wait for the official video to get done.  Raw stuff is here.

http://captfiero.com/snowvids2008     The videos with "driving" in the title are just boring shots where I left the camera going on the mount.  Great if you want to check out the scenery.   However the better clips are labeled with what happens in them.  The Nigel spin-outs and Chris clipping the curb are on the same clip, and the one where I clip a curb is on another shot.  Don't worry I didn't hurt the suspension, just the steel rim and a bit of my pride got dented.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 10:36am
This is the raw footage cut down a bit, and compressed a bit.  It started as 3gig and after tweaking got it down to 103mb.  About 30 min of footage, I had some issues with the camera early on, and the poor quality clips are kinda scatterd through the video.

http://captfiero.com/snowvids2008/bigsnowvideo2008_0001.wmv 

Aaron will have a better quality clip later.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 10:42am
Sorry about the low light, this was taken well before dawn, we had un buried my 88GT but I kept getting high centered as the nose would push the snow.    The real reason for the pic, you see that black line beside the tree.   That is the 86SE and the other small block dot on the other side of the tree.  That is where my trailer is.  All of the cars here are in that type of complete covering.   
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 11:30am

Cool videos.  I was so tempted to join you guys but was worried about getting stuck along the way out.  No snow tires here, but good enough M+S all seasons for the most part.

Hahaha I made it maybe not even 3 ft this morning before I got high centered.  I tried to back out from the garage down the not so steep driveway and heard a shallow 'thump'.  I knew instantly what happened, the floorboards were sitting on the snow

Half an hour later with some shovelling under the car, 2 wood boards and some tire smoke later, i got the car back into the garage.  Yeah guess I'm stubborn and had to find out for myself if 12"+ of snow would bottom-out my low ground clearance lol.

I didnt have any problems Saturday though.  I went out to play in the snow in the middle of the night around 1-2am.  Mitchell Island and the new office developments in South Burnaby are great places to play.  There was an S2000 doing some nice high speed snow drifts.  Kinda wish I had snow tires.  Oh well.

Outside:

1986 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 DIS, 5 spd, Full Polyurethane Suspension, Rear Coil-overs
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 2:25pm
Well after a bit of digging, I got the 88 out.  Lots of rocking from 1st to Reverse and once I got it moving I was able to keep the tires spinning fast enough that it creaped out to the street.  Lisa and I just got home from some shopping.  Once we got out onto the main roads everything is fine.   However the wheel that I smacked yesterday is actully in worse shape than I thought, we took the highway into Langley and any speed over about 110kph the car has a nasty shimmy and at low speeds you can feel the wobble a bit.  Thankfully its just a 14" steel wheel and I'll get the tire re-mounted to a 14" high tech that I have kicking around.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 8:07am

Just adding another video.  No drifting in this one.  Just a 10min clip showing what Surrey BC looks like cruising around, and even a clip proving that a Fiero is able to drive in fresh snow at 80-90kph just fine.    I had to take Lisa to work this morning, so I grabbed the camera mounted it in the car and headed right out to the highway.   I left the news playing in the background for the first part, on the 2nd part I clicked it over to a sorta Christmas song playing on the local pop station.     They are calling for another 30cms of fresh white stuff today, on top of the 40 we already have.  

Well here it is.   http://captfiero.com/videos/snowcruise2008.wmv 

For the record the car is an 88GT 5spd, all poly suspension, running 195/70/14 Firestone Winterfire snow tires on all 4 corners.  I have taken it up to 120kph in the snow just to see how it felt.  Car felt good, but I know margin of safety at those speeds is non existent, so I dropped it back down to 80-90kph.  

I'll try to post some recent pics today, of the all the Fiero's under a blanket of snow. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 10:49am
You are one crazy man Dave:)...wonder if you will try today with all this new flake:)...
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 12:16pm

Sorry about not posting pics yet, had to run out to do some more shopping.  Trans Canada is  a bit slick, but once we made it into downtown Langley, all the cars stuck in traffic had melted all the snow on the main roads.  Hwy 15 (176 street) is about 90% clear of snow.  A few small patches hear and there, but as long as you don't brake or steer your fine. 

Looks like Lisa and I are heading to Abby tonight, I will try and post back later from my phone.  

Take care and drive safe guys.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 12:29pm
Just watching the news...another 15-20cm dropping now for today in addition to the 15-20cm we already have.  Saying that, my building is doing nothing for the hill my garage is on, so I am not chancing anything...so I would suggest why drive to Abby if you really don't have too, stay home and stay warm:).
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 1:19pm

I took these at about 9am when there was a break in the snow, however a lot more has fallen.  The cars that you could just barley see, are completely gone now.   My trailer has disappeared into the snow.  The pic in the way back of the lane is a 92 Le baron that has snow up to its door handles.  There is a mini van beside the house and snow is up past the top of the wheels.   We got my 88GT out of there 2 days ago and moved it around to the front of the house which we keep dug out.  I actually just got home from driving it. 

Next to the tree is an 86SE, in the driveway is my 85GT and Lisa's 85SE, beside those 2 in the grass, is my 87GT Project car and beside that one is Lisa's 86SE SBC Car.   The trailer is suppose to be on the grass next to the Black 86SE however there is nearly Zero of the trailer showing.

Well here are the pics.  Lets see some of your places.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 3:10pm

My friend & I went out to play in the snow last night.  He's got a 240sx with these poor all season tires half worn, can't believe he managed!  Anyway we left around 12pm just as the snow started to fall and cruised out to various spots.

Most of the places are plowed quite regularily though unfortunately.  I had quite a bit of fun at what used to be the old Bby Costco.  Next was the big new Costco, ENOUGH FREAKIN SALT? damn there wasnt a spot of snow on their pavement but we drove around the parking lot anwyay unl a security guy chased us out lol

We played at Brentwood Mall for awhile since it was nearby.  There was just barely enough snow to keep us sliding.  We then trekked over to the Marine Dr. Superstore but when we got there, to our surprise, it was BUSY!!! I couldn't believe it, there were probably 50 cars parked there?!  At 1AM!! Turns out they are open 24hrs for the holidays.  Good thing too cuz we stopped to get some munchies

Eventually, we hit up Lansdowne Mall in Richmond and wow, wide open lots with now smooth powder that been falling for the past few hours.  NICEEee   We had tonnes of fun there going all around the mall to the various lots.  By now we were starving so we had dinner at the 24hr Chinese restaurant there.  BTW Shopping carts, are AWESOME 'obstacles'.  We carefully placed them and used them to drift around and made our own AutoX type of rallys. 

After dinner we hit up the Home Depot by Bridgeport.  This was the highlight of the night.  Shopping carts, fresh powder, light poles, islands, PERFECT for a mini-rally!! We played there til about 430am when the snow was starting to really pick up.  I was getting worried about all the hills we had to go up to get home so we called it a night.

Here are some pics of the night, sorry didn't take more was too busy having fun!  I've got some video footage as well but it was pretty dark so theyre not that great.

BTW Adjustable Coil-Over suspension is freakin awesome!! I raised the rear to about 1-2" higher than stock and the front I put in rubber coil-spacers to get back to about stock height.  I had problems on Monday getting high-centered and this definately helps!  Tires are just cheap All Season M+S tires 195/70/14 i think. 

1986 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 DIS, 5 spd, Full Polyurethane Suspension, Rear Coil-overs
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 3:28pm

When you mentioned shopping carts placed as auto cross cones, I just about fell out of my chair laughing.  That is so Wicked Cool.   Man I wish we would have thought of that.  Wait,  I guess we really couldn't have :(  As the Guildford Mall we did most of our stuff at was still open and there was not a buggy in site.       If Lisa and I were not leaving for Abby in 90 mins, I would say we should get together tonight and have some more fun.   

The snow here is getting freaking deep.  I'll try to post some updated photos before we leave. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
88FieroGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FieroGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 10:15pm
This is from a while back, the 13th. Local fun on the island I guess. But from what I have heard, there is alot more snow now than there was before I left to Calgary.
88FieroGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FieroGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 10:15pm
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2008 at 12:04am

Looks like you had it a bit sideways.  Looks like it was fun to boot.

Well just a quick update here are the updated pics, I meant to post these before we left for Abby, but just ran out of time.

Note that little black spec in the middle, that is actually the passenger side door mirror.  The snow is level with the door. 

This is where my 85GT is suppose to be.  You can kinda see Lisa's 85 and my 87GT in the far background.  Lisa's 86 is just gone.  I have never seen snow this deep before.  

Just  quick shot of the road as I was coming home from McDonald's. Our street was so deep that even my stock height 88 was getting high centered if I stopped for more than a second.

On a final note, Lisa and I just got home from Abby.  We counted over 7 cars, spun out or flipped upside down on the highway on our way out.  The stretch from 232nd all the way to Abby is pure ice.  In 4th gear at 2000 rpms, if I pressed the gas the rear tires would brake loose and we would drift sideways.   We spent a great deal of time about 100ft behind a snow plow doing only 40kph as he was doing a great job of cleaning the fresh snow away for us while we drove.   A few cars tried to get gutsy and pass the plow, only to find that when he hit a thick patch of snow, it would pound there car., from the wash from the blade.  Pretty crazy. 

The drive home was about the same ICE all over the place, the worst part is not knowing if you were on compacted snow, or wet pavement or straight ice.  Even if you could tell from the sound of the tires on the pavement. (snow is like sandpaper noise, wet is like static from a TV and Black Ice the tires go Silent)  You never knew how long it was going to last and when you were going to be riding the edge of insanity.  I was able to maintain about 80kph on the way home, chain smoking cigarettes and white knuckles all the way.    Sometimes knowing all to well how bad it can get, when things go wrong, makes driving it all the more nerve wracking.    Keep the tires straight, no sudden jerks on or off with the throttle and don't touch the brakes.  Pretty simple until you take in account the patches of built up snow that force the wheel to the right or left if you hit them. 

Dah I am just rambling.  I am just winding down.  I have to go back to  helping Lisa get the rest of the gifts under the tree for the morning.  Nigel let me know what time you are going to make it over.

Everyone else, have a Merry Christmas.

P.S.  If your home alone on Christmas and want to come hang out, we have a big family and friends dinner at hour house.   No one should be alone on Christmas.  ( I don't care what religion you are, its the spirit of Christmas we celebrate here, giving, sharing and caring) Its a time to let your friends know that you are glad they are in your lives.  The only thing we ask is that you bring something if you can to the dinner table.  (just about anything from a finger food plate at your local grocery store to something you made from stuff at home)    Feel free to show up any time after 11am.  Well start with the food around 5pm.  (beware the dinner TV is gonna be Star Trek and Stargate Atlantis.  The final 2 episodes including the Season Finale for Atlantis)

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic