Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

We got SNOW!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We got SNOW!!!
    Posted: 17 December 2008 at 10:40am

WooHoo, Yiipppeeee.   So who is going to be out cruising in this white slippery stuff.  By that I mean who is going to be out playing Drift King in there Fiero!!!    My 88 is all setup with the snow tires on it, oil is about 3/4 over full as a precaution for sustained high rpm times with the High Flow oil pump.  Antifreeze is good.   Even getting a dry change of clothes putting it in a plastic bag and stashing it in the front in case I have to dig my car out and get too wet.

Anybody got any winter prep tips they want to share?  

Pam cooking spray on the door seals to keep them from freezing to the glass. 

Space heater in the cabin?

If anyone tries to say a Fiero can't be driven in the snow, here is my video proof from last season. http://captfiero.com/videos/snowinthe88.wmv

I have more in car footage driving around Surrey.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2008 at 1:28pm
i gotta take mine off the road for winter as i dont have $ for snow tires. luckily i have a backup car. i did drive it last winter. i used a small heater to get it nice and toasty in the mornings.,helped to melt the snow on the windows a bit too. that and a sandbag or two up front.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2008 at 3:50pm

Snow? It doesn't snow in Vancouver.

Let me just look out the window...

WHAT THE HELL !!!! 

When did that happen?

Fiero Zen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero Zen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2008 at 4:08pm

Looks like great fun.

Not to bad on the main routes in Burnaby. See my live webcam of Kingsway & Willingdon from my apartment window.

http://www.vancouverwebcam.net

FieroZen

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift
That is why it is called the Present
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2008 at 4:17pm
thats not snow.... its frozen sunshine :)
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2008 at 4:22pm

I have 6" of snow here at my house. 4" of which were plowed from my driveway thanks to my 87 coupe nose air dam/ plow. With all the weight of a  3800/4t60e in the rear traction was not bad. Now that I am home I will park the Fiero till the snow is under control. With 2" of clearance one hard chunk of snow and I,m looking for a new nose.

Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2008 at 4:30pm
I was outside doing donuts and power slides with my 2m4 this afternoon. 

I wanna go fast.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2008 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Fiero Zen Fiero Zen wrote:

Not to bad on the main routes in Burnaby. See my live webcam of Kingsway & Willingdon from my apartment window.

http://www.vancouverwebcam.net

That's pretty cool.

Nigel, are you able to aim that camera south up Willingdon? If so I could have a peek at my Dad's highrise on Willingdon and Beresford. (Just immediately south of the SkyTrain tracks.)

beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2008 at 5:05pm
Not so much us Fiero drivers as the other guys out there.   I almost got hit head on this morning as some guy with summer tires locked all four wheels and slid across the street towards me.   Good think i saw him coming and came to a full stop as he slid across the front of me.  

Careful out there folks.   Lots of unprepared people out there. 

My wife got stuck in the Fleetwood are this afternoon.   Our car has snow tires but when she came to a full stop behind a line of traffic on 88th Ave, there was no grip to get going again.  

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Fiero Zen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero Zen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2008 at 5:14pm

Patrick,

What you can't see because its just out of camera shot is a hunking big building blocking me view that towards Beresford.

FieroZen

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift
That is why it is called the Present
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2008 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Fiero Zen Fiero Zen wrote:

What you can't see because its just out of camera shot is a hunking big building blocking me view that towards Beresford.

I believe I know the one you mean. I watched it being built from my Dad's place, as it's just across the street (and tracks) almost directly north of him. There's another one going up immediately to the west of him that you should be able to see once it's out of the ground.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2008 at 6:21pm

Well I left here at 2pm and headed to Langley to do some quick shopping and meet Lisa at her work.  We left Port Kells at 3pm with her in the lead and me following her.  It took 90mins to get from 200th street to 160th street on Trans Canada.  Just as I was about to take the turn off and head for home, my mother calls.  She is stranded at work.  She works for Pacific Blue Cross at the corner of Willingdon and Canada Way.  So I tell her to sit tight and I'll be there when I can.  Its only 2km from 160th street to the Port Man bridge, it took me 45mins to get to the bridge and across it.  Once I hit Coquitlam it was like a different world, roads were clear, little traffic and I quickly found myself up to speed zipping along at 90-100kph.  Made it to Burnaby and started back for Surrey.  It is completely amazing, Vancouver is clear as a bell, but shortly after crossing the bridge and into Surrey it looks like a War zone.  Trans Canada is solid ice and compact snow, cars off in the ditch, even saw a Tractor Trailer that had just given up trying to make it up Johnson hill and was parked in the middle of the highway.  

My side road is so deep that my nose was just a big snow plow.  We have got about 6-8 inches of snow here.   Last time I checked was at 1:30pm and it was 17cm in our front yard.  I will bet its closer to 25cm now.    Its Lisa and I's 11th anniversary of being together and I promised her we would go out for dinner.  So we are going to be out for at least one more cruise tonight. 

Take Care Everyone, there are some nut jobs out there that simply don't know how to drive and are not prepared for there car to go into a slide and panic.   This is one of those times that the people that normally drive like a maniac and intentionally put there car into slides in the rain, may have the upper hand on driving in this stuff.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Kyng_72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kyng_72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2008 at 9:01pm
growing up in the interior, then living in Alberta foothills for a couple years I got all you coasters beat for snow driving
as the average human male life span is around 72 and I am now 36 can I officially consider my fiero as my midlife crisis car?
85SEnochie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 85SEnochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2008 at 7:40am

Yah this was taken this morning not only snow but bleeeeping cold!!!

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2008 at 1:46pm

Did you add the blue tint to make the scene appear colder?

Thought I'd warm it up a bit.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2008 at 4:07pm

Well here are the pics, from the last couple days.  These are of our place, some shots along Trans Canada heading for the Port Mann bridge and just kinda assorted.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
85SEnochie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 85SEnochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2008 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Did you add the blue tint to make the scene appear colder?

Thought I'd warm it up a bit.

no the pic was taken with my phone throw my livingroom window but yah it does look colder

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2008 at 10:15am

All I can say is thank god I have my GA with snowies.  I turn off the traxcking control and having a great time, but like anything...it's the ice:).  I picked up Kerstin from work on Friday just off 8th & Oak...I was stuck on the hill where there was one sheet of ice...they don't take care of those hill in that area at all.

Get your shopping, etc. done today boys and gals...today 5m+, tomorrow upto 15cm in areas...and fricken cold!.  I just spoken to my mother and the 1st time in 30 years where here kitchen sinks cold water tap is frozen...any suggestion on how to prepare for when it softens?...concerned about her pipe cracking.

Anyone who's home and relaxing that is a gamer...hit me up if you play COD 4 or 5, COH, or any other FPS game...can hjoin in with my clan on comms, etc...lol

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2008 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

I just spoken to my mother and the 1st time in 30 years where here kitchen sinks cold water tap is frozen...any suggestion on how to prepare for when it softens?...concerned about her pipe cracking.

Similar boat here - first time I've ever had my pipes freeze up.
Luckily it's just one that skirts near the outside of the house and feeds the washing machine, but still....

I hit it with a torch to try and thaw it out, but no luck so far.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2008 at 3:16pm
Laundrymat for you maybe...lol...1st for many things this winter I am sure:(
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic