West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3800 TPI 4spd Auto into 86 Coupe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 9:47pm
That looks to PERFECT Blair....
Can you smear some grease on it, hehehe

We'll see you soon
John
Fiero Zen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero Zen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 11:35pm

That's what you've been doing!!!

Awesome, Awesome, and more Awesome

FieroZen

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift
That is why it is called the Present
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2007 at 6:18am

I started hooking up the engine. The dog bone mount turned out to be easy. Just take the stock mount from the Regal and stack it on top of the belt tensioner bracket. It lined up with the stock body mount and was the right fit for a dickman adjustable dog bone.

Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2007 at 6:22am

The throttle just required welding the 4cyl. throttle mount on to the 3800 throttle bracket at the proper distance. It is the 4cyl. cable being used.

Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2007 at 6:32am

On the shifter cable I opted for a reverse shift pattern over running the cable tight to the exhaust manifold. The cable will last much longer but requires changing the shifter lockout. I plan to mod. a ratchet shifter to fit at a later date. The bracket was made by welding the stock cable mount to the 3800 bracket. The lever has been shortened to match the Fiero shifter though.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2007 at 1:08pm
Car is looking awesome and I am looking forward to you taking me for a spin in it.  3800 with a 4spd auto should be pretty peppy, and a great daily driver.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2007 at 8:13pm

I made a short shifter for my 3800 4sp auto. To keep the heat off the linkage the shift pattern is reverse. LED lights indicate the gear selected through the trans selector switch.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2007 at 10:11am
So you going to have this at the club meeting in December.  I really want a ride in this to compare it to a V6 5spd car.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2007 at 7:17pm

Well it's like this, after more than 4 weeks waiting for my exhaust tubing which I paid for. I was informed my MOPAC that they have not even bothered to order the stock item! When I asked to talk to the manager he would not come out to see me. They promised that I would have it in two weeks but all I get is a refund if it's not here by then.

THIS IS THERE IDEA OF CUSTOMER SERVICE?

I have managed to get a lot done on the car and will be updating my build thread soon.

Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 7:17am

7 weeks have past and no exhaust pipe. Mopac ordered them on the 2 of Dec. 42 days after I paid for the stock item. The manager Rick will not get of his ars and talk to me about there customer service. I will keep shopping there when I have to but plan on being more of a pain in there ars than ever.

Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 7:47pm

My axles are in the car now with rebuilt rear suspension featuring new ball joints,tie rods and poly bushings. The left axle is from a 94 Beretta with a 3100/4t60e. The right axle I had custom made with the help of Orbit Machine ltd and H&F Gear ltd. The new shaft measures 15" total length and in made from a nearly indestructible steel. GM options are ether 1" to short or 1" to long. The stock cv and tri pod mount to the shaft using the stock clips.

Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 7:57pm

The front suspension has been totally rebuilt. All wearing parts have been replaced and the steering rack has been rebuilt as well. The brakes have been updated to vented Grand AM rotor ($20.00)caliper ($19.50) combo thanks to Edgars hubs.

Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 8:07pm

I decided to use steel brade for the fuel lines. Russell had the adapters to hook up to the fuel rails and the stock fuel filter. This will make it much easier to replace the filter. The air tube is a 3 1/2" turbo compatible hose that can be had at almost any auto parts store. The improved Regal air filter housing was a direct fit.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2007 at 2:34pm
So when is the car due to hit the road?
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2007 at 7:03pm

The store is eating all of my time and some. I'm hoping that I will be able to get working on it again by mid. January and if all goes well, drive it to the Feb. meeting. This is if I ever get the exhaust pipe I ordered from Mopac. One of my brake line fittings is seized and twisted so I think I am going to install a Fiero Store ss brake like kit while the car is apart. The guy that is suppling the passkey eliminator kit just sent out a second one as the first one never made it. So as you can see there is some things still to go.

Ps: I can't wait to be finished this install and start my sb 283 install. It should be much less work.

Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2008 at 6:49am

I've installed the Fiero Store stainless steel brake line kit. This is the second time I have used there kit and both were a perfect fit. This completes my suspension and brake upgrades and the car is back on it's wheels with 225-50-15s all the way around.

The new fuel pump is installed and the engine grounds have been made including a night switch tucked into the hole by the dog bone mount.

Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2008 at 6:56am

Ps: The engine starts quick and purrs like a kitten in your ear. ( I still have no exhaust system.) Every thing else is done.

kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2008 at 12:28pm
good stuff! Id like to see a few videos of this. What kind of numbers do you expect to get? Im still going back and forth between 3.8sc, 3.8 N/A and turboing it, or possibly 3.4DOHC and turboing that... so many options!!  
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2008 at 3:56pm

As for what kind of numbers I expect, with twice the HP and twice torque of the Duke that the car had. I think it will be faster and maybe even better mpg. I can always use a turbo to go faster later if I feel the need for speed.

We have a club member that has two series 2 3800tpi engines for sale at a good price. The install is almost the same as the one I've done here.

kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2008 at 6:20pm
ya, i saw those for sale but im trying to plan ahead for what i want it to do for me in the long run. Good work on your setup though, we'll need some good videos soon :D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic