West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

More issues...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More issues...
    Posted: 20 March 2009 at 11:17pm

so i got the new ECM / chip installed and the car ran a little rough but it ran, then got really busy mid semester and it was about a week and a half till i could free some time to drive it for a while then make it to aircare, bought the daypass first of course

went to start the car and it was a no go, it would crank but not  fire, give it a little gas and it would start but as soon as you let of the gas a stall.  I swapped back to the original ECM and chip and trying it a few times after checking trying a few things it started, but ran rough, let it run for a bit shut it off and it fired right up after barely touching the key. 

swapped ECMs again and no start, swapped back to the origina and still no start...

found one thread on pennocks sort of related http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/093204.html but i'm not sure where to start, it reccomends checking ECM which i've tried both and fuel injectors which were just cleaned and rebuilt. 

Note: back up chip (not sure the name, left of the programmable one) is from an 87 installed in an 85 ECM, might this be the problem? if so anyone have any dead 85 ECMs I could try the backup chip from?

also tested and ran the car for a while with no problems with th 85 ECM and new chip 1.5 weeks ago for a while no problems, sounded smoother than it ever had

forgot to add I was unable to pull any codes, couldnt get the check engine light to flash at all. 

thanks,

Ryan

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2009 at 12:06am

Originally posted by 88FormulaFiero 88FormulaFiero wrote:

I was unable to pull any codes, couldnt get the check engine light to flash at all. 

Hey Ryan, I wondered what had become of you. Sorry to hear you're having more problems. I'm also sorry I can't help you much as ECMs and chips are basically beyond my knowledge. However...

Are you saying you can't even get a code 12 from the ECM when you try to pull the codes? From Here...

Quote Diagnostic Mode Active (ECM OK)

When the diagnostics terminal is grounded, the ignition turned on and the engine is not running, the ECM will flash Code 12 three times.

My experience is that you should always get a code 12 to flash. Hmmm.... doesn't sound good that you get nothing. 

From the same site...

The SES-light should always be on when the ignition is "ON" and the engine not running. If the SES-light does not come on under these conditions, than either the bulb needs to be replaced, you have short somewhere, or you have a defective ECM.

Is your SES bulb functional?

Are the ECM connectors plugged in all the way?

Any ECM wires "pinched" and shorting out?

Is your ECM grounded properly?

----------------------------------

From an old post of yours...

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20030 204-2-028718.html

prompted me to test the drop in pressure in my fiero, on mine it primes to 32 psi, by 8 mins its dropped 10psi (to 22) by 11 mins down by 15 then by 18mins down by 20 psi (to 12)

Did you repeat the leak-down test after you had your injectors cleaned? I'm curious if the readings improved any.

88FormulaFiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FormulaFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2009 at 12:47am

yeah, I cant get any codes, and the check engine light doesnt come on when the ignition is on as well, i'll double check the ecm connectors, and look for pinched wires tomorow.  and check the ECM ground as well.

thanks

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2009 at 1:06am

and the check engine light doesnt come on when the ignition is on as well

Are you saying the SES/check engine light never comes on?

If so, check the bulb first (as that's pretty simple).

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2009 at 2:47pm

Any news Ryan, good bad or otherwise?

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2009 at 11:34pm

Geez Ryan, we're getting worried about you!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic