West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Speedo Face printing (240kph / 150mph)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2010 at 7:56pm
Okie dokie. Time to find a second tachometre. Anyone up for a pick-a-part roadtrip?
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2010 at 8:26pm
Ok, I think I've nailed it.  Have a look.

As can be seen, it's pretty darn opaque!

I stroked the printer to output more ink.  The image above is of two layers held together.  One layer wasn't quite enough.

So, doing this "in house" will be way less money that using a professional service and I'm confident I can get it looking stock.

Could make up some cool custom stuff too of course.

DG

You dream it up....I'll make it
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2010 at 8:53pm
Stock is cool. We will need to talk at the next meeting.
Duck View Drop Down
Never fear, Superduck is here!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2010 at 10:26pm

Just for fun, here's a small-rez copy of my almost-finished project at the time. It was just what *I* wanted, so the style may not have appealed to everyone. /shrug

Another possible issue with the home-made ones (like I had originally done) was cutting them all to the exact size. Like the holes at the bottom for the odometer and stuff. The place I was going to use makes a die cutter so they'll all turn out the same size. It's only the initial setup that's expensive, then it'd be quite cheap to make lots. Perhaps if we revived my old thread on Pennocks, it might get some interest.  /shrug

Also, I could fairly easily modify the tach too, but the setup would make doing it by hand more worthwhile, I think. Not TOO many people want a 7k tach. IIRC, I made one using the Sunbird turbo tach a while ago. Not sure what the guy used to actually MAKE it, but I photoshopped one for him and sent it to him. I'm pretty sure it was 7k.

How much horsepower can I have and still go to heaven?
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2010 at 10:01pm
You put a bunch of time into this didn't you Chris?

I'm not worried about cutting the shape out.  The little holes for the trip meter will simply have clear openings.  No need to make an actual hole.

I'm scanning an original tonight.  We'll see what I get done before my holidays.

DG
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2010 at 11:00pm
Ok, just to show everyone that I'm serious....:)

I took a 140 km/h speedo apart tonight and got it running on the bench.  I've got it pretty well figured out.

Here's me fooling the speedo into thinking it's hooked to the car.

Here's with everything powered up but no speed signal:

This is mid scale which was a 49Hz signal:

Here's full scale which was a 98Hz signal:

The minimum amplitude that would drive the speedo was 200mV AC.

So, what does this mean?  It means with a 140 km/h speedo, you need to divide the VSS signal down to 98Hz (cycles per second) to get full scale.  So at 240 km/h, the VSS should be outputing a 168Hz signal.  So a ratio of .583 to 1 would work in this case.

I traced the circuit and realized that you can't reduce the VSS frequency and simply inject it at the connector.  You'll bugger up the odometer, trip meter and the ECM signal.  It has to be done internally to get it right.

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2010 at 7:40am

Custom made for Romeo...

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2010 at 12:12pm

Does this take into account there are 2 or 3 different VSS units depending on the tire size of the car?  All I can remember about the VSS signal is that it was measured in pulses per mile.  When my ECM chip was re calibrated he had to change the pulse per mile reading.  (ECM needs to know what speed the car is going to adjust for some tings)  However I don't think the ECM would NEED to know the exact speed, so even if your changes only reflect the speedo dial as long as the ECM understands that you are moving it should be fine.

Oh man I made this post about as confusing as possible didn't I.  

Ok lets try and simplify.

VSS sends out signal is Pulses per Mile.

Yes the ECM needs to know the vehicle speed.

No I don't think it really matters if the speed is dead on perfect.  However with automatic cars some changes might need to be made.

Err wait, maybe not.  If you don't change the VSS signal all you will need to do is re-route the ECM signal to read direct from the VSS instead of reading from the speedo.

Oh who the heck knows.   I just know there is something that needs to be known, I just don't know what that is.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2010 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Car-2-Lo Car-2-Lo wrote:

Custom made for Romeo...

Pardon me? I seem to recall my favourite artist telling me I should "let it into a rolling start in first and then go full throttle through first, second and third."
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2010 at 10:21pm
Well as far as the speedo is concerned, it doesn't care what VSS you have.  It needs a certain signal to read full scale and that's that.

So the goal is to adjust whatever signal is coming from the VSS to accommodate the speedo.

But I'm hoping to build a "calibrator" circuit that will allow fine adjustments.

As far as the ECM goes, I won't be changing anything it cares about.  The plan is to tie in just before the speedo itself.  This is way after the ECM tap and just after the odometer.

Apparently, the speedo takes the 4000 PPM (pulses per mile) and converts it to 2000 PPM before sending it to the ECM.  I could not get this speedo to do that.  It's quite possible that it expects to see some sort of load (the ECM) and if it doesn't, it does nothing.

DG

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Does this take into account there are 2 or 3 different VSS units depending on the tire size of the car?  All I can remember about the VSS signal is that it was measured in pulses per mile.  When my ECM chip was re calibrated he had to change the pulse per mile reading.  (ECM needs to know what speed the car is going to adjust for some tings)  However I don't think the ECM would NEED to know the exact speed, so even if your changes only reflect the speedo dial as long as the ECM understands that you are moving it should be fine.

Oh man I made this post about as confusing as possible didn't I.  

Ok lets try and simplify.

VSS sends out signal is Pulses per Mile.

Yes the ECM needs to know the vehicle speed.

No I don't think it really matters if the speed is dead on perfect.  However with automatic cars some changes might need to be made.

Err wait, maybe not.  If you don't change the VSS signal all you will need to do is re-route the ECM signal to read direct from the VSS instead of reading from the speedo.

Oh who the heck knows.   I just know there is something that needs to be known, I just don't know what that is.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2010 at 11:39pm

If I remember correctly the signal goes, VSS to Speedo and the Speedo supplies the signal to the ECM,

Now if I am wrong and it goes VSS to ECM and the ECM supplies the signal to the Speedo you may have a totally different set of  problems.  However I know that normal they are tied together.

Now in my V8 car,   We got mad at the whole thing, and simply T'ed off the VSS signal and ran one pair of wires from the VSS to the ECM and one pair of wires from the VSS to the Speedo.  Forwatever reason it worked.  The ECM was reading the correct speed and the Speedo matched what the ECM said and GPS matched them both.

Regardless of my rambling, I love what you are doing and think if you can do this for a reasonable price, you are going to have a lot of interested buyers on both here and PFF.  Then we/you can hit you uo on the BIG Fiero list.  Several thousand members all the messages going directly into there in boxes.  Especially the guys on the racing list.

I think you and I are going to have to sit down with a list of your products, with Photo's and prices and make you a simple site with everything then as you come up with a new item, you can add it.  Hell you may be the next Dickman.  Who Knows?

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2010 at 8:22pm
I would need to generate more volume before going that route I think.  But as you say, it will come.  It's already starting.

Next time we're yacking, I'll share with you some of my ideas.

DG
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2010 at 11:01pm
Nothing fancy just get you a url like dawgscustomfierotorys, or dawgsuperacing.  Do you know how to do basic html? 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2010 at 12:39am

I know Frontpage pretty good.  Good enough for a simple page.  I have two Domains already.  Nether of them would apply to this.

We'll talk.

DG

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Do you know how to do basic html? 
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2010 at 12:44am
OK, this is a preliminary design to get the spacing right and so on.  The font isn't original but it looks ok.

I can create a perfect copy of the original font later.

I didn't put the short lines in there because it looked way to crowded to me.  What do you guys think?

DG
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2010 at 10:53am
Kinda reminds me of pong - and that's never a bad thing. Spacing and style-wise, it looks splendid.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2010 at 12:03pm
I'm just about to scan in the tach.  Tristan, would you like a tach that looks like this first version of the speedo?  You know, for a matched set.

I'm going to make a more original looking speedo also, but I thought a little experimenting was in order.

Above when you said 7000 RPM tach what did you mean exactly?  The stock tach does go to 7K already.

So are you looking for an 8k tach with a 7k redline??

DG
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2010 at 1:22pm
My stock tach reads up to 6000RPM, with 5000-5500 being yellow lines, and 5500-6000 being a red area. What I'm looking to do is pretty much "continue" the stock tach around to 7000RPM, and move the yellow and red zones up 1000RPM each. Size and spacing would remain identical however.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2010 at 3:13pm
Haven't got to the tach yet.  I decided to finish the 240K version in the original style.

Phew.....took longer than I thought it would but turned out perfect.

Have a look fellow Fiero junkies.

Tachometer next Tristan.

The Dawg!

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2010 at 7:50pm
And for our American friends........

I think it looks pretty darn factory like.  What do you guys think?

The Dawg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic