West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Speedo Face printing (240kph / 150mph)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 1:02am
More news:

I have managed to find a way to get the face looking totally stock.  In sunlight, the numbers and lines look simply white.  But back light it and they glow orange just like the originals.

The pictures aren't the greatest but it shows the quality and the orange glow.

Here's the front lit view:

And now the back lit version:

What do you guys think so far? 

Note to Dave:

The orange paint on the back side of the front panel is there to give the trip meter and odometer an orange glow.  It isn't near enough to make the gauge face glow.  If you take a stock face and shine a light behind it, the numbers glow orange all by themselves.  This means there is an orange layer hidden behind the white front.

After tons of experimenting, I've been able to find what works.

Hopefully next meeting I'll have a nice demo for everyone to see for themselves.

The Dawg.
You dream it up....I'll make it
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2011 at 12:42am
After a year of ups and downs I can say I have finally done a digital conversion of a Fiero speedo.  I heavily modified a Dakota Digital unit and used it to scale the signal going to the speedo itself.

Below is a 140 km/hr speedo that has been made to read double it's scale. Meaning it's now a 280 km/hr speedometer. This may not be very useful but it made it easier to test. You'll notice that I'm sending it a 70 hertz (cycles per second) signal which should read 100 km/hr normally. As you can see, it reads exactly 50 km/hr. Perfect.

Keep in mind that this unit has the up/down buttons. So I can easily set the conversion to whatever I need.

All that is left is to find a way to mount it all together and stuff it all back into the dash. Of course I need to replace the face also.

So yes I did it (the first person to actually do it I might add), but I think it's too much work to bring to market at the moment. You'd have to pay me $250+ before I would do this again for someone else.  It's really a one off custom project at this point.  I just wanted to prove it could be done.

But, I have been playing around with Arduinos lately. I think I've found a way to make this work with one of them. If so, the price would be much better.

I'm thinking about $100 if I can do it. Is that a number anyone would be interested in?

The Dawg

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 11:36pm
Did you ever get one of these ready for sale. At $100 I'll take one right now.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 4:17am
Nope. Only have the prototype, put away somewhere.

Dawg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic