Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Speedo Face printing (240kph / 150mph)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speedo Face printing (240kph / 150mph)
    Posted: 24 May 2009 at 9:59pm

OK I have intentionally deleted half the image, this was by request of the person that created the file.

He did the photo edits to get the spacing just perfect for a stock looking 240kph gauge face.   He also has figured out what electronic parts are needed to recalibrate the Fiero speedo right on the board, so it would be a plug and play to install a modified speedo into any Fiero.   

The catch is finding a way to get it printed on the same style as the stock face.    Is there anyone out there that

A. Knows how the stock one is done.

B. Can get the new faces printed.  I can supply an extra gauge face to show to a printer, or anyone that thinks they know of a way to get it done.   I can also supply macro high definition photos of the stock setup.    

Now I know there are a few people on this forum that are good at photo shop and might be able extrapolate the image from the 1/2 that I am posting, but this is just to show what it looks like.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 11:49pm

Just what I need for driving to SuperStore to pick up groceries.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 12:06am

I know not everyone will actually use a speedo that goes over 180, but for the few that actually have setup GPS tracking units their car so they have an idea of how fast they are going even for testing purposes, or maybe they just want a higher speedo for the style of it.  It would sure be nice.

One of my goals with my V8 is to get a GPS tracked, Video Documented 150mph run with it.     120mph is the fastest stable speed for a stock Fiero, over that, you almost need hood vents, over 140mph you need DO hood vents, pushing past that mark, proper rear deck venting, rear spoiler to aid in removing the vacuum pocket behind the car.  (Rear spoiler DOES NOT create down force)   I am really going to be interested in seeing how the Car2Lo's Tall Stanchion's affect air flow on my 857GT.    Oh. P.S. thats the new name for my 85/87GT combo build car.  I couldn't bring myself to call it my 87GT, and calling it my 85GT just didn't sound right either, so its now my 857GT  pronounced eight fifty seven GT.    

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 5:53am
Be damned if I could remember their name, but there's a company who did custom speedos for extremely cheap, and you could have anything on the face (Stock looking, just with different numbers, or you could have the Fiero Pegasus as the background, or have different colors, chrome accents, colored needles, etc...). If I remember, I'll quickly flip through my magazine collection, because I remember making a set that had chrome everything, with the pegasus as the background and they weren't bad (Price wise) at all.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Duck View Drop Down
Never fear, Superduck is here!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 11:10am

Speedhut is the one that does the Indiglo gauges (relatively) cheap. Dunno if that's what you were thinking or not.

Aside from that, I almost had the gauges created. We were only one step away from having it done. In order for the company to recreate them properly, they wanted a vector-based image of everything, which was a little beyond me. I had someone that was making them for me, but other things got in the way, so it got side-tracked.

As for which company, it was a place in Coquitlam, near the United Overpass that was going to make them. I think it would have cost roughly $40-50 for a full set of die-cut replacement gauges in any colour combination I wanted (assuming an order of at least 10 sets, I think) They could be black on white, white on black, red numbers, white face, orange numbers, black face, etc.

If enough people are interested, I could possibly try to revive the project, or if someone else is adept enough at it, I could pass along what I've done so far. (Realistically, it took me probably 30+ hours to get this far, including lots of messing around)

Cheers,

Kris

How much horsepower can I have and still go to heaven?
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 3:19pm

Yes, the image is what messed me over when I was trying to make my gauges (As the "white" background on the Fiero Pegasus is in fact, off-white. That meant the little program was loading a massive custom image that went way beyond the borders, rather than the much more acceptable shield-shape.

Anyways, Kris, if by vectors it means the vectors used in Adobe Illustrator, I could do that for you, or I'm sure Enochie has some experience in the area, as Photoshop and Illustrator are very similar to one another.

Duck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 8:50pm

Well, I'll see if people are interested again. Since it's in KM's, it's only for the Canadian Market basically, thus there's a much smaller market to sell them possibly.

Regards,

Kris

PS. There's an M and an E in team.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 11:00pm
Kris you could always find out what crystal is needed to make it a 240mph speedo, then sell it to all the Yankee kids that want it to "Show Off" sake.  LOL, that would be the rough equal to driving around with a 380kph speedo.I am betting the difference between 60mph and 70mph would be about as narrow as the speedo needle itself. You would drive around and almost never use more than 40% of your speedo dial.  Ya I need it for when I hit the JATO button.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 3:37pm
For when I activate my ROCKETS. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSH.
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2009 at 9:05am

Not a bad idea.../2 with a counter or pic. Simple fix eh???

Maybe the trans am dash swap can wait...

Chay

86 SE 3.4
Duck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2009 at 12:01am

er... counter or pic? for what?

You confused me, Chay.  :)

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2010 at 11:21pm
OK....it looks like I might dig into this project.  The vector based file that is needed for the printers I can create.  It's time consuming but no problem.

The crystal method of converting the speedos is probably not the best way to go.  It's unlikely that the right crystal would be available without getting a custom one made.  Not cheap.

I have another way to do it digitally instead.  Can this circuit be built small enough to fit inside the speedo housing and for a reasonable price?  Time will tell.

This also has to be done in such a way that the odometer reads properly.  So some circuit tracing will need to be done.  I just happen to have a Guinea Pig to rip apart....Mwaaaaahahahahah

What I need is the best image we have of either the stock speedo or the fancy revised one.  I can make my own if need be but if someone wants to pass it along freely, it will same me some time.

If all goes well, I will be able to convert any speedo to just about anything.  The tough part is the gauge face.  I have some cheapo ideas here too if need be.

Ideas?

DG
You dream it up....I'll make it
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2010 at 6:06pm
If you manage to work this, could I con you into a stock-looking 7000RPM speedo?
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2010 at 9:25pm
A 7000 RPM "speedo"?  Sure buddy, whatever you want....:)

The physical tach is easy to mod as I guess you know.  I'll probably experiment with various clear films to see what I can create.

The challenge is trying to make them look stock.  If you don't mind changing out the speedo also then I know I can do it.

I have a pretty nice HP printer here.  I figure it will look great.

DG
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2010 at 10:54pm

Aw, but I like my comically low speedo.

And yes, 7000RPM tach was what I meant. lol

Duck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2010 at 9:18am

Well, I'm pretty sure I still have my original hand-made copy of the 240 face. The one Dave posted was from a pre-vectored image that someone had made me. We were working on doing all the gauges but neither of us are sure exactly where it stopped, so it never got finished. I tried to get a copy of the vectored file, but he couldn't find it. I can email him again assuming he's still around and see if he can get me it.

Otherwise, I can dig out what I've got for you to start over with. If nothing else, that image I sent Dave is pretty close.

Also, regarding the crystal, IIRC when I looked into this, the crystal values I found were really close to commercially available ones. Like, maybe half to one percent off or something. Maybe not even that much. Seems like way more work to make up a pic to do what a crystal can do.

Anyway, happy to help if people are interested. In fact, I can even go back and get the actual units produced if someone wants to supply the vector. I've studied the gauge pretty well so I know what's needed to reproduce it.

Cheers,

Kris

Duck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2010 at 9:22am

Side note, this all originally started because I wanted to make myself some white-face gauges. I scanned ALL my gauge faces, spent HOURS in photoshop inverting them and redoing the faces, then tried printing them to some white plastic and cutting them out. When I finally trial-fit them in the car, they looked HORRIBLE. The backlighting isn't even close to even, so the whole face lit up uneven and blotchy. That's when I realized how the automakers do white-face gauges yet make only the numbers light up at night. Looks WAY better that way.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

Kris

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2010 at 11:12am
Well much like yourself, these gauges aren't a big priority in my life.  But I'm off with a pulled back and dieing to be creative.  What the hell.

The idea behind the "converter" is I then can adjust it for any situation.  It would then be possible to simply calibrate an existing speedo that has gone soft over time.  Or calibrate the speedo for larger tires.  Furthermore any speed range could be chosen not just 240 Kms.

But if it was determined that the crystal method was reasonably accurate and the parts available then that might be the way to go to get started anyway.

I've done some of this back lighted stuff before in the film industry.  The challenge is the opaque areas.  I normally stack two layers to get it dark enough.  The type of film used makes all the difference.

If you could get me those images and/or the vectors that would be great.  I would give you a finished overlay once they're done as a thank you.

DG
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2010 at 5:48pm
Aw, excitement. How does one "scan" a gauge face? Do you just bust apart a gauge and throw it on a scanner? I would really like to make a 7000RPM tach (Just basically a continuation of the existing 6000RPM tach) for the new valvetrain.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2010 at 7:19pm
As long as you can get it flat on the glass of the scanner.  Scanner is the best way but a careful digital camera picture would be enough to work with I think.

DG

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Aw, excitement. How does one "scan" a gauge face? Do you just bust apart a gauge and throw it on a scanner? I would really like to make a 7000RPM tach (Just basically a continuation of the existing 6000RPM tach) for the new valvetrain.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic