Forum Home Forum Home » Events Section » Meetings, and Events Info
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Racing with the Porsches this Sunday

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racing with the Porsches this Sunday
    Posted: 25 May 2009 at 4:04pm
You know I'll be turning heads this Sunday, I will be representing our Fiero's!:)...got an invite to join PCA (Porche Canada West Region) for their Auto-x in Pitt Meadows...I'll take video and lots of pics, some real nice cars all setup for racing will be there:).

I hope my CV trans leak holds to tiny drips, that's certainly on my list, might as well plan to upgrade my clutch at the same time:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 5:42pm
Kick some german tail out there, bud.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 11:36pm

YOU GO GET EM BRIAN.    IF you want to go nuts, we can plumb the nitrous kit into your car, give you a little red button to push if you need a blast of speed for "Over Taking" those little Turbo Buggers.   Only thing I don't have is a certified bottle.  One I was using expired 2 years ago and gave it back to the person that had loaned to me.  I still have the lines, solenoids wiring and switches including a 70hp jet and 100hp jet.  (The 100hp is risky and will make a Fiero overheat in about 5 Min's of 40% usage)  Intake will be ice cold, however the rest of the motor will be glowing.  The 70hp shot can be used nearly full on.  At the least, till you redline your top gear.  You could be in top gear, (4th on your car)  IT will pull solid up to 6500rpms without question, and 7500rpms if you get gutsy and are willing to risk exploding the motor.

I can't wait till my V8 is on the road fully and I can come and play at the track.  

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 12:57pm
David...this is AutoX not Mission drag strip:)...I would have no control for the quick turns, etc...:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 1:52pm

What you talking about Willis.  Nitrous on your V6 would give you about as much torque as my 4.9 coming out of a tight corner.  LOL, or just get crazy and hit the nitrous, drift the back end around every corner, Could be FUN.  LMAO.   Ya know I am just kidding right.  Could be good for a chuckle though.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2009 at 6:29pm
Well all I can say is Austin...we need to join up with these guys more often:)...very laid back, easy going and respectful:)...times will be posted soon, here's a vid of one run:

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2009 at 6:38pm
Chit, forgot to post a few pics:)

My Fav:)

Should see the take off with this car, it's the 2009 GT2 at over 550 hp

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2009 at 8:22pm
Yeah, you're favorite is mine as well, although 550HP sounds rather alluring as well...
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2009 at 9:56pm
You had to be there to see this thing take off the line...just not enough space to let her open up, and if he had slicks...man 'o man...this thing cooks on a track, he has taken out to Mission, Seattle & Portland:)...knows how to drive it and a real nice guy.

My buddy with his ZR10 actually teased him who would win in a drag, off the line the ZR10 would be ahead, but at 100km in 3.2 sec and a top speed over 300km...would take the race I think...lol
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2009 at 7:19pm
Not bad, 22nd out of 46 drivers:)

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2009 at 7:34pm
Congrats man! That's exceptional, especially when you consider most of these cars arn't even 1/4 our cars' age, and when you consider some of them are 550HP monsters.
marcelvdgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marcelvdgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2009 at 10:30pm

hey,  dont forget the cost of one of those

Brian is number one!!!

Thanks for showing them what we (you) can do

Marcel

Marcel 86SE V6 Auto
85SE V6 Auto
85 2m4
soon to be sleeper 3.8sc 5 speed
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 7:21am
Well considering I DNF'd twice and hit cones on the other runs, was not my best showing, but 1st run for the year.  My tires really started to stick and I got the tire psi just right, but too late with the last two runs of the day...I started to get more aggressive with the stickier grip:).

End of day...always a blast pushing your car hard legally:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by marcelvdgn marcelvdgn wrote:

hey,  dont forget the cost of one of those

Brian is number one!!!

Thanks for showing them what we (you) can do

Marcel

Oh I know, but I mean no one is going to seriously hold a Fiero up to a GT2, unless they've taken a few too many shots to the head.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 4:16pm

Seeing as we are making a sort of $$ to Performance comparison,  I would fathom a guess, that if you take was a new Porsche costs, divide that by 4, and you could still build a Fiero that would walk it on a race track.   The only drawbacks would be A. The Fiero Wouldn't look like a million dollars, B. it would be race car trim. Gutted interior, really rough ride, virtually no sidewall in the tires. 

And lastly, you would have to build it, you couldn't walk down to local Joe hotrod shop and have them build it for your and stay in budget.   As anyone that has done, or paid to have an engine swap done, farming out the labor can double or even triple the cost of the swap.  

Rough numbers

85GT with blown motor $1000

350 TPI SBC V8 from wrecked Camaro $1000

Mild Rebuild for the 350 with Turbo Cam $1000 

External Downstream Turbo Kit, $3000

Brakes, (go cheap and go GrandAm or big brake kit) $2000

Rims and Rubber Racing $1000

Misc Parts $1000

HP Estimate 700hp  Torque 800lbs

Total Cost roughly $11,000 

The Look on the (insert favorite super car) owners face as you blow by them in a Fiero.

Priceless.

Now you could go way up or way down on most of the prices depending on where and how you got them.   I also did not include trans costs or clutch costs as those can vary wildly depending on setup.  6spd, cry treated and puck racing clutch should hold 700hp reliably.  

Believe it or not, the Fiero suspension, is pretty darn good, add a sway bar, $200 worth of bushings and $200 worth of lowering springs and it can be fairly competitive.  I think Brian has already shown that point fairly well.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 4:21pm
Oh, no doubt, but like I was saying, it's simply not fair to hold a fairly mild (See: Streetable) Fiero versus a $250000 Sports Car. lol
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 4:36pm
David's not that far off:).  You should see these stripped down Mini's at Mission, or the Miata's on the Auto-X, on the Porche forum right now the Porche guys are a little ticked that the "Pesky Miatas" took 1st & 2nd.

The new GT2 or 3 are BEAUTIFUL cars, and all the new tech is great, but the Ceramic Caliper that are an option at purchase cost to replace all 4 = $15,000!!!, the steels are $1200 which is like the Wilwood kit for our cars:

http://www.westshorefabricators.com/Fiero/KitCarBrakes.htm

If you had the suspension, rear end link done, upgraded brakes and a few other tweaks...on an Auto-X our Fiero's would come close to the Porche, on the track we would give them a run for their money, but kick our ars still.

End of day...the the joy or being out there, racing your car and having fun...if I won the loto, too many choices of cars to buy...lol
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 10:41pm

Oh yeah, let me just find that spare $3100 I had laying around here so I can spend that on brakes alone.

I'm poor. $400 for the Corvette conversion seemed pricey to me.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 11:00pm
Im with ya:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 11:01pm
Hehe. YAY FOR BEING POOR! You and I can drive "poorsches" from here on out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic