West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Romeo’s Clutch Swap, day by day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2009 at 3:22pm

Tragedy struck late in the evening as Dave and Tristan, both ripped on unknown substances, ran over Nigel with Nigel's own car while he was laying there playing with his tie rod.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2009 at 3:41pm

A shot from earlier in the evening... Tristan encouraging Dave to find endless pics of naked women, and Dave drinking more of that strange yellow liquid.

Fiero Zen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero Zen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2009 at 4:27pm

After the mishap of having your own car driven slowly.............over you for maximum...........whatever you get the picture.

I have spent the day in bed, being served various healing foods and liquids by beautiful wenches - (all covered under extended medical I might add.) Feeling much better and should be fine for Arlington. 

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift
That is why it is called the Present
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2009 at 5:14pm

LOL< at all the posts.    Tristen and I just got back 5pm from my machine shops place.   Have the flywheel here and know the mad dash to see if we can get it installed.   If anyone is good at wrenching feel free to come by.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2009 at 10:12pm
Wow, this thread made my sides hurt it's so funny. I especially loved the one about playing air guitar while complaining of the walls moving. lol
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2009 at 10:01pm

OK so after sleeping in till noon today, I went back out and attacked the car.

Actually I just skimmed my last post and realized that in my rush to get ready Friday night, I did not post what happened after we got back with the flywheel.

OK we got back here with the flywheel Friday around 5pm.  Tristen cleaned up the bolts and I showed him how to put red lock-tight on them and we installed the flywheel.   No problems looks good as new.

Pics are

Everything was looking great.   Flywheel was perfect, new clutch was lined up using my clutch alignment took, it was installed and thinking we might even have this thing on the ground Friday night.   Well until we started to put the trans back in.......   After nearly 3hrs of trying to get it on, I said, there must be something wrong.  I have done dozens of trans axle clutch installs and nothing has ever taking this long.   I told him sorry its just not going to happen. 

Alright, forward to Sunday, I went out and got to looking it at.  I thought to myself, the only reason this thing should be taking this long is if "I" didn't get the disk aligned right.   So I pulled the trans out, found a socket that matched the inside of the flywheel and an adapter that matched the diameter of the clutch disk.  I found it was not perfect but still within the norms, however I still went ahead and loosened the pressure plate and made sure it was PERFECT. 

I started putting the trans back on, this time using long bolts in the bell housing so I could get 6 bolts installed, then slide it straight into the engine.   It still stopped about 2-3 inch's from going all the way in.   I had been rotating the CV shafts with it in gear to make sure the splines on the input shaft were not binding.  Once they meshed up, I thought I was golden.  I didn't think much of the fact that I could not turn the CV's anymore as now I was fighting engine compression, which is normal.    I tried and tried again, this bugger just would not go on.   Finally I grabbed a 19mm socket and 1/2 ratchet, and tried to turn the engine by hand, I gave it a little yank, uhm, it won't move, I put some weight into it, and guess what, still no fricking movement.   I go back to the trans, loosen off the bolts so everything is slack, go back to the engine and turn it, moves just fine.   At this point, I new what was wrong.  PISSES ME OFF TOO.  I have now wasted nearly 2 days on this thing.  ITS THE WRONG PRESSURE PLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!   I pulled the trans completely out of the car again, and sure enough, I find places on the pressure plate where it must have been lightly rubbing and finally bound right up. 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.   I was getting really mad at that point.          So I went into the garage sat down and relaxed for a few mins.    

Well here are the pics, showing his old pressure plate vs the new one.  The outside diameter of the old one was about 8.5" the new one is 9.5-9.75"    I also found several area's on the pressure plate that stick out into the ring gear area.   I don't believe they should be sticking out that area, and I hope that it is a one time mistake on Clutch-nets part.    

I am going to be sending all this pic's to Clutchnet and see what they can do, Tristen needs this car done ASAP, so we need the correct pressure plate here NOW.  

Well here are todays pics, I am heading to get some sleep.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2009 at 11:31pm

Saaaad faaaaace...

Unfortunately, in my infinite wisdom of leaving my cell in your car, I now can't call you until I get home every day, but if you get ahold of them Dave, just send me a PM here, as BCIT has computers I can use.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2009 at 4:25pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

ITS THE WRONG PRESSURE PLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, that certainly sucks!

Geez, for what that clutch cost and the major inconvenience this has caused you guys, I'd think the retailer should be responsible for air-freighting the proper pressure plate up here pronto.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2009 at 6:12pm
Yes, I have to say, I really, really hope they don't charge me delivery/broker costs a second time...
Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 11:15am

Any updates on this?

I'm curious as to how this clutch feels as mine is on its last legs and I'm thinking of getting the same 6 puck one you're putting in.  Mine's been slipping since the Aircare 'tech' rode the pedal earlier this year.

1986 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 DIS, 5 spd, Full Polyurethane Suspension, Rear Coil-overs
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 11:55am

Well there is a big feather in there cap (sorta)   The pressure plate did turn out to be the wrong one.

The first guy I spoke to on the phone, said he did not have time to read the email and would get back to me.  2 days and did not hear from him so I called back.   Got a different guy, and this guy was extremely pist off with the first guy.  Sounded like a manager or something, said they had given the other guy several chances to get his act together............  

OK so now I have a good guy on the phone, he was unable to locate the info I sent the first guy, and the first guy was not there.  So I sent more info, pics and even a link to this thread.    We did determine than the pressure plate was wrong, and they are going to have to send us a new one.   He wanted to make DAMN SURE, the one they are going to ship directly to my house is the correct one, I photographed the Luk numbers on Romeos old pressure plate and included measurements.    Clutchnet is getting a new pressure plate in and modifying it to Clutch nets specs and should have shipped on Wednesday to my house.   There is no shipping charge, and they did not even as for the old one back.   So at this point it is just waiting for the new one to get here and then we can get back to work on it.

Austin, the clutch we are putting is Romeo's car is the same disk that I use on the V8 just with a lighter pressure plate.  From the little bit I drove my V8 with the 6 puck in it, I loved it.  Very solid grab and even with the 320lbs of torque my motor puts out, it had no problems at all holding it.   Clutchnet said it should be good to 450+flbs of torque.  Which if I ever put the Nitrous on the V8 it will be making.  

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 9:36pm
Hey Davie boy, do you have a MIG welder at your house, or should I raise my one from the dead (Basement) and bring it out?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2009 at 11:32am

As per our phone conversation, a MIG welder will save "my" bacon as well.  It got me out working on my exhaust again.  I am going to get all the pipe I need cut and joints expanded and put together.   Then when you fix the exhaust on your car, I can have you weld a couple things for me :) 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2009 at 7:02pm

So I take it you don't have one of your own then, eh? Well, time to dive into the basement!

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2009 at 12:33am
A welder is not one of those tools i ever made the jump into using.  Always farmed out the welding jobs to either club members or did a labor for computer work or Fiero parts.  I kinda like the labor trades, as if you are doing it for a buddy, you'll usually go over the top to get things special for them.   (have spent 12hrs getting a computer just perfect for member in trade he spent a couple hours tweaking some brackets for me.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2009 at 5:24pm

Well, the welding wont even come to paying you back for what you've been doing, especially with my relative lack of experience (Enough to do the basics, but not enough to do fancy things).

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2009 at 1:17pm

Ya, we can move forward,

Lookie was came today.

New One

Original they sent us.

Note on the 1st one, how tight the lip is between the bolts and the edge of the pressure plate, barley enough room to a socket in there, however on the 2nd one, there is much more distance around the edge as the top is more curved in, vs straight up.    The measurements show this one to be 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch smaller at the leading edge of the pressure plate.  

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 8:51am

OK for any interested parties, Romeo will be here Friday evening working on the car till whenever we decide to quit for the evening, and Saturday until we get it done.  Feel free to pop by anytime after 4pm on Friday and as early as 11am on Saturday.  (don't know the exact time we are starting or ending, so if you want to come earlier or later, drop me a line on my cell.  

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 11:46am

So, how'd you guys make out? Any luck getting 'er going?

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 1:31pm

New pressure plate was installed, we fought with it till after 10pm Friday only stopped when it was so dark it became hard to find parts if the light was not shining directly on it.

Everything snapped together Saturday. All was great until I started hooking up the hydraulics and noticed the clutch release arm was loaded. (it shouldn't be, there should be 1/2 inch to 1 inch loose travel before it engages the pressure plate)

I had Romeo grab a 1/2 drive ratchet and 19mm socket and tried to turn the motor, it was locked up solid, I slowly backed out the bell housing bolts and the engine started to move............................................        FU(&*)(CK   &nb sp;

New pressure plate is also wrong, had to pull the trans back out and contact Clutchnet for a 3rd time, awaiting word back from them.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic