West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Romeo’s Clutch Swap, day by day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 1:49pm

Aw man, sorry to hear that.

Is there something unusual about the '86 V6 Fiero tranny/clutch setup? It seems absolutely bizarre that this company is having such a difficult time supplying the correct pressure plate for this relatively common application.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 2:00pm
Well there are 3 different standard trans configurations. Muncie 4spd, Getrag 5spd and Isuzu 5spd, I imagine that all have different total clearances inside the bell housing. It doesn't really matter in the stock world as none of the pressure plates are big enough to cause an issue, however in the high performance world, they use the biggest pressure plate that they can stuff in the bell housing. Which is why when the first and even 2nd one showed up, the fact that it was slightly larger than the OEM didn't even concern me.

The 1st one, they claim had been miss boxed, the 2nd one he assured me was the correct one. I have not yet heard back from him regarding the 3rd one.    I know that my Isuzu and Getrag 5spd ones didn't have an issue, so I am assuming that the 4spd bell housing must be a tad smaller.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 2:09pm

Wow, interesting.

There must be an awful lot of GM vehicles running around with transverse mounted 2.8L/Muncie 4-speeds in them. It seems unbelievable that ClutchNet is having so much trouble supplying the correct pressure plate for Tristan's Fiero.

Well, you know what they say... Third time lucky.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 3:15pm

I hate life.

Sorry about your driveway. Dave, you could start charging rent for me to keep the car there. You'd earn enough money to run the club for th next decade.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2009 at 10:45pm

OK so here we are, over 2 months of the car being here, finally we have the right parts.   Clutch net even upgraded the pressure plate to the red level plate.  So this thing is going to grab like a mule on Sundays.

I am darn near falling over the computer going to sleep so I have to keep this post short.   Any admins if you see a screw up could ya please tweak the post for me.

OK Pic 1-3 are the front and rear of the pressure plate.

4-7 are the Luk numbers and the other related numbers.  Note

The pressure plate assembly was built buy Luke, then sent to Clutchent is taken apart, and everything is rebuilt to be stronger.

Pic 8 shows the triple bands on the side of the pressure plate vs the single that was on his Luke here.

Last shots, are the thing mounted to the car, man I hate hiding such a nice package of parts.  That clutch disc still makes me smile.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 2:34pm

Trans is back in, whoo hoo, all the trans mounts are torqued in, passenger side CV shaft is in its correct place, its just a matter of putting the suspension back on, hydraulics back on and she will be ready go.   Unfortunately I have to leave for Burnaby in 15mins so I doubt I'll be back in time to finish it tonight.  However I know I can get a few extra mins on it.   P.S. Brian, I am sure Tristen will be more than happy to let you feel his clutch, but just remember and this goes for the both of you,  NOT FOR AT LEAST 500KM.   Ya gotta take it easy on it for a bit.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 10:36pm

Ok so I got the hydraulics bolted in, the shift cable bracket and shifting linkage all put back on.   Then I ran out of daylight.  

I should be able to spend a bit more time on it tomorrow.  So Tristan know that the Clutchent issue taken up, when do you want to start making your appearance here.   Basically any time will work.  

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 11:01pm
Sorry David, I'm free anytime after three tomorrow until the weekend, in which case I'm free the whole day.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 8:20am

Well the sooner you get over here the faster it gets done.   I'll be home all day and night as far as I know.   (with one exception of going to Burnaby at 3pm, and returning here at 4pm)

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 9:42pm

HOORAY IT'S ON THE GROUND!

Anyways, I'm off as I have school tomorrow. But boo yeah, so stoked to drive again!

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 10:30pm

Yep when Tristen got here, I had the suspension done, all we needed was to install the rear brakes and setup the E-Brake, install the Y-pipe, install the shift cables on the brackets, remove and re-install the slave, then finally put the wheels on and drop it on the ground.

It will still need some tweaking, but with any luck it he will be driving it home tomorrow (Friday) night.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 9:55pm

Well Luck was on our side.  I got to work on the car at 9am, doing all the little stuff, by Noon it was on the ground and able to move under its own power.   I picked up Tristen around 3:30 and he came back to the house to work out some of the kinks and do some last min tweaking.  

Man I had no idea how touchy that clutch was going to be on a V6.  Its "almost" stall the engine or do a mini burnout to take off.  Pedal feel is good.  It releases at half pedal and grabs at half pedal.  The thing is you have maybe an inch of pedal between full engage and full disengage, its a true race type clutch.  I think with practice you should be able to get to drive it all right, but a new driver will have a nightmare. 

I guess it would be a great anti-theft device LOL.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 11:00pm

"Well, luck was on our side." **

**Until I almost got home. I had forgotten to tighten down the shift cables, and one came loose, and the other completely blew the nut off the bolt, while going up a hill. I managed to whip the car around, make it go down the hill and park it in the cop parking lot. David and Lisa came down with an extra nut and bailed me out (Yet again) and since then I haven't had any issues (Well, any clutch/transmission related ones anyways). Like David said, the clutch is a definitive race type, with the car either stalling, heavily squatting or simply spinning my expensive tires off at every start. I've started to get used to the very limited travel needed, and I can now manage some semi-normal starts (Front end still kisses the sky mind you). Some of you may be reading this and thinking "My, that sounds terrible!" You'd be wrong.

The car is an absolute BLAST to drive now. Tires can be spun with reckless abandon, engine braking is an instantaneous affair, and the clutch finally has enough guts to grab at neck-snap velocity.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2009 at 8:50am

So I have been thinking about this last night, while I was sleeping yet again in my office chair.  Seeing as this clutch has more than enough travel for full engage / disengage, you might be able to change to a slightly larger slave cylinder.  You currently have a 13/16's bore slave, if we moved you to a 15/16th's bore, it would effectively give you a much wider space between full engage and full disengage.   However it would also mean you will have to press the pedal all the way to the floor in order to shift quickly.  Which is actually a bad thing when racing,    The other issue is the 15/16th's bore  is MUCH more expensive.  The one you have is $39 SCC3795  I think the larger one is around $130 as it was a Fiero only part. 

I really glad you are happy with it, and hope it was worth the near 2 month wait to get all the "right parts" together.   At least now we know exactly what parts to order from them in the future.   Oh quick P.S.  Clutchent will sell the individual parts if something goes wrong.  If you only need a new disc or only need a new pressure plate, you can buy just the parts you need to get your car running again.  Which will save you a ton of money in the long run.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2009 at 11:40am
Hey David, ran into another problem today with something we had tuned: You know how we adjusting the TPS? Well, the car now dies at idle unless I apply gas. How do I adjust it so that the revs will stay slightly higher?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2009 at 4:48pm

Well its totally weird that it worked fine all day yesterday and today it starts acting up, however as I mentioned on the phone call, bring it to the meeting and I can take a look at it.  The only adjustment that I did was correct the high voltage reading from the TPS which should not cause a low idle and even stalling issue.  I did not that your IAC values were pretty low indicating that it was trying to correct for a vacuum leak, I wonder if some how that leak fixed itself and now the computer has to re-learn the IAC position.   Just a test, pull the battery cable off for 60 seconds or more, then put the cable back on.   It will force the ECM to re-learn everything.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2009 at 5:42pm
Alright, I'll do that when I get there though, I've been running around all day and didn't really get a chance to look into the engine bay. I'll bring my tools.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2010 at 11:10am

Ok Tristan, this post has been helpful for me to prepare for my clutch job with David...I would like to chat and see how you like it, Austin was interested also...got to call that man and see What's Up

I am heading to pick up the trans that Mister Transmission fixed up, Clutchnet & FS parts next week, exhaust MAYBE...thinking Kool Coat or hold off and Truleo upgrade next year with brakes:).

I am sure David and I will create a post...told the Clutchet guys (Oleg) this is maybe the 5th in the club from him?...either way, should have it right bu now we hope

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2010 at 11:22am

Aw man, I saw this thread listed at the top and thought that Tristan's clutch had messed up again.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2010 at 11:51am
I wish I would have remembered this thread and forwarded these pics and info to Oleg, to make sure he got the numbers off of this pressure plate so that I knew he would be sending us the correct one.  Well I guess we will cross our fingers and hope for the best.   At least this time we will be able to look at the 2 wrong ones and know if they sent us a wrong one. 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic