West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Romeo’s Clutch Swap, day by day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Romeo’s Clutch Swap, day by day
    Posted: 03 June 2009 at 10:33pm

About 2 weeks ago, I got a call that he was broke down out in Vancouver, Lisa and I buzzed out checked over his car, sure enough the clutch was toast.   We talked back and fourth, The Dr. was tied up with a clutch job and an exhaust job.  He could have taken it to Mr. Clutch and paid them to install a stock clutch, or saved the install cash and put that towards a "Good" clutch.  So after some wheeling and dealing, we came to a solution.  

The car was towed here to my place.  "HE" is doing the work, I am simply providing the space to work, the air tools and pointing him in the right direction on what needs to be removed.  Seeing as I have a fair bit of experience doing tranny / clutch swaps in my driveway, I knew what needed to be done and in what order.

So we started on the car around 5pm, got hung up on a few things relating to the E-Brake cables not wanting to release, and a few semi stuck bolts.  Surprisingly enough, the 4 upper Y-Pipe to manifold bolts came out without snapping or stripping, even thought the threads were pretty rusted.   Same deal with the lower down pipe to cat converter. 

The real shock came when we started dropping the cradle out.  I noted before we even started that the front of his engine was sitting a bit low, to the point the dogbone was angled down a lot.  

I suspected his front mount was totally shot.  So we went on about the business.  As I lowered the cradle, I was amazed at what I saw.   The front mount was fine, however there were NO BOLTS AT ALL holding the bracket to the front of the engine, only thing that was keeping the front of the motor from falling out to the ground had been the dogbone and the CV Shafts.  With the dogbone out and suspension dropped, if we we would have un-bolted the trans, the motor would have literally fallen onto the ground.   About that time I said, dat was enough, it was getting dark, and I was going to need extra light to locate and adjust the motor to get the new bolts in.   The bracket is bound up and I HOPE I REALLY HOPE its not too twisted.  As getting those bolts to line up on a good day with a good bracket and clean bolts can be an exercise in patience / futility.

Well here are the few quick pics I snapped today.     Sorry I did not grab any later in the day as it was getting dark quick. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 10:37pm

*Whistle's inappropriately*

Now there's a good looking boy.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 10:39pm

Side note, if anyone wants to come over to see how its done, we are going to get back to work on it, Thursday after 4pm, and then again on Friday.  We are hoping to get it done for Arlington, just going to be one heck of a time crunch. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

*Whistle's inappropriately*

Now there's a good looking boy.

Hey now, I'm sure we have club rules against that kind of stuff!

Interesting about the front mount not being attached to the engine. When weird things like that are discovered, you can't help but wonder what kind of nimrod was working on the car previously.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 11:00pm
It's ironic, because everything was going along so splendidly up until that point.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 11:06pm

You didn't expect a Fiero clutch replacement to be trouble-free did you?

Newb!

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 11:10pm

Actually, as Tristan can agree, I commented several times that the previous mechanic must have had a good head on his shoulders.  Nothing was cross threaded, proper antisieze had been used.  All the nuts and bolts with the exception of 1 were of correct size.  (one of the exhaust bolts had been replaced with a 13mm rather than the correct 10mm and a nut had been spun on the end of it.     When I pulled the drivers lower control arm from the cradle, I was able to just about push the bolts out with my fingers.  I didn't even have to use a breaker bar.  Just a 1/2 drive ratchet and 18mm on the bolt head and 18mm wrench on the nut side.

I am guessing that the front bolts got wiggled loose.  OR there was a secondary mechanic that did not do the major jobs on the car.    The rest of the car was too perfect, for those bolts to have been responsible of the main mechanic.        Patric you should come over and check out the build tomorrow.   Just bring ICE and your own face rag, I kept running the garden hose soaking towl a toil and putting it on the shoulders to keep the sun and cool damp on my shoulders. 

Well I am off to bed, need some sleep. 

Well anyone that wants to pop over, give me a wring on my cell and leave a voice message.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 11:17pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Side note, if anyone wants to come over to see how its done, we are going to get back to work on it, Thursday after 4pm, and then again on Friday.

Patric you should come over and check out the build tomorrow.

Actually, I'm considering it. I don't want to be bucking rush hour traffic for the 4 PM start though. Maybe what I'll do is have a relatively early dinner and then head out your way towards the end of the rush hour at 6 PM or so.

Anyway, I'll contact you before I head out just to make sure plans haven't changed at your end. Thanks.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2009 at 11:30pm
Well if you want to come out early, I'll be here most of the afternoon, just got a few clients need go out to early in the morning, but later in the afternoon.  around 12pm I should be back here working.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2009 at 9:25am

I've got some things I need to do today as well before I can come out, but it's good to know that I have the option to come out earlier than previously thought. Thanks, I'll be in touch before I head out.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2009 at 12:25pm

Holy CRAP its HOT.

Yesterday in the shade at 2pm it was 37.5C   Its just after 12 now, and its already at 33.8  I guess its just because we are at the top of Johnson Hill we are in a little weather pocket all our own.  Tristen when you come over today, bring lots of fluids. 

Its 33 here now in the shade.   The top number is the inside temp, thats inside my garage with all the doors open and fans running.  The outside temp is a remote thermostat under a white picnic table next to the house outside. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2009 at 3:10pm
right now its 35.4 in the shade at my house not far from yours.
this part of surrey's weather has a mind of its own, weather network says 21 for surrey right now!
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2009 at 4:44pm

So has Tristan turned up?

I'll have to stick to my original plan. I'll leave here shortly after 6 PM.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2009 at 5:24pm

Yep he got here around 4, I was able to rob the 2 missing bolts from my spare engine, then used a mixture of hyd jacks and prybars and mind-power to convince the bracket to straighten out and let me shove the bolts in then torqued them down with the impact.  The engine had been riding so low, the CV shaft itself has a shiny spot where it had been grinding on the cradle.  I am really surprised his crank pulley was even still there, as at rest, there is less than 1" between the pulley and the cradle.

He pulled most of the mounts, then I grabbed the few that were kinda odd to get to, and then I pulled the bell housing bolts.  He is out there right now getting the last of the damn inspection plate 10mm bolts out.   Once those are out, we can yank the tranny out and sit it on the ground.   Which means today is going to be a short day as he was not able to get a flywheel done in time.     However Patric if you want to come over, we will still be out here sorting things out and getting it ready to go back in.    If we get totally stalled, I'll stop and do some cleaning on my 88 as I don't think I am going to have a lot of time to do it tomorrow.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2009 at 6:23pm

I'm just eating my dinner right now, but I saw you were looking for a flywheel. Any chance the flywheel off an '87 duke is of any use? I have one here already resurfaced. I suspect it's a different animal though.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2009 at 10:27pm

Just wanted to say I have a bunch of pics from today, 40 in total, I am going to try and narrow it down to 15 and post them up.  Should be up before I go to bed tonight.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2009 at 12:18am

OK so here are the pics from today, I thought were was 40 to sort out, we actually took 60 pics.  (Patrick took some with my camera too)  We had a mini party going on, Patrick came over, Nigel came over, then Graeme stopped by as well.  

Well enough chatter here are the pics.

Cradle swung down

Tristan getting at the inspection plate bolts.

See lots of room to swing and get at things.

Only a few lines were to short and had to removed to allow it to drop

See that shiny spot on that bracket, that is how far up the bracket was and I had to pry it into position.  The bottom hole was all the way up where the top bolt was.  That engine must have bouncing like crazy.

See that golden shiny spot on the CV shaft, its because it had been grinding on the cradle.  Yikes.

Is the Alternator fan normally that close to the bolt?

See he is actually doing it.  I am only the spare wheel here.

Him posing for a pic for Patrick, man that disk is messed up.

Uhm, dual friction anyone.  Steel on one side and rivets on the other.  there is suppose to be clutch material on both sides.

Disk was completely destroyed, this was the only sign that it might have been a disk at one time.

Side by side, new puck race clutch vs the OEM style Luke Clutch.

New Pressure Plate

Note how massive the springs and rivets are.

This is the level Yellow pressure plate which is a great mix of street and strip use.

HMM, na that didn't get hot at all.   Isn't steel suppose to be BLUE all the time.

I am not even certain that this can be turned down. 

Patrick standing there looking at it with a stunned look on his face.

Inside of trans.  Lots of bits of disk in there.

Romeo himself.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2009 at 2:55pm

Patrick standing there looking at it with a stunned look on his face.

I always look that way around disassembled Fieros.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2009 at 3:09pm

Don't let that calm, cool, and collected image of Tristan above fool anyone. When I got there about 7:30 PM he was furiously playing air guitar while complaining about the walls "melting".

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2009 at 3:12pm
 I thought so, i could tell something was up....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic