Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

85 gt fixer upper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2009 at 11:39am

Its is very possible that the pads are glazed over, if the person had a tendency to ride the brakes for a long distance while coming to a stop or other related issue.  I have seen Fiero's that felt like they had no brakes at all, because the pads were glazed so bad.

My 85GT with stock front brakes and premium pads, with rear Grand Am brakes and good pads, could lock all 4 wheels up at 70kph, and that was with rather large 225/50/16's on the front and 245/50/16's on the rear.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
fierowned View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fierowned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2009 at 12:14pm
I found some of the engine shots as well, so here it goes:

Before the tune up (note the clean wire from the distributor to coil, ghetto anti-theft baby!)

The front three plugs looked ok, the back 3 were just ugly.  2 of the holes in the head were stripped, which was kind of a piss off, but the new ones are in and working now.

The next weekend I tossed it on our hoist to see why it brakes so poorly.

This was after sand blasting the front rotors..... they gotta go soon too.

Fronts after I was done cleaned the rotors and filing off some pad material to get something fresh contacting the rotor.

Rear grand am brakes

What's left of my e-brake cable

Like I said, if I find that the stock brakes are very bad, I'll change them, but this isn't gonna be a race car or anything, more just for cruising right now. 

Took a few pics when I actually did get it on the road for a while.  Looks a lot better after a wash.  Too bad it started to rain later :(

Well, that brings you guys up to date now, I hope to be doing the brakes a couple weekends from now depending on how long some parts take to arrive.  I forgot to take some shots of the hood and side scoops, hopefully I'll remember soon.  Thanks for viewing!
fierowned View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fierowned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2009 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Its is very possible that the pads are glazed over, if the person had a tendency to ride the brakes for a long distance while coming to a stop or other related issue.  I have seen Fiero's that felt like they had no brakes at all, because the pads were glazed so bad.

My 85GT with stock front brakes and premium pads, with rear Grand Am brakes and good pads, could lock all 4 wheels up at 70kph, and that was with rather large 225/50/16's on the front and 245/50/16's on the rear.

I noticed a little bit of an improvement when I cleaned up the fronts, but still could not lock them on dry pavement.  Either way I'll have new everything in the back with premium pads, and maybe after my next pay day I'll get rotors and premium pads for the fronts. 

This is off topic now, but I found an ad for some cheap wheels and tires that I'm tempted to burn off over the summer when I get it on the road.  They are stock sunbird gt mags that were on a cavalier.  I know the bolt pattern will be right, but is the hub bore the same as on a fiero, or different?
Vlad I. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vlad I. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2009 at 2:56pm
Check your front middle cylinder for compression. The
spark plug looks quite a bit different than the rest.
Looks like it might have been missing quite a bit.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2009 at 3:30pm

Originally posted by fierowned fierowned wrote:

Originally posted by Vlad I. Vlad I. wrote:

Check your front middle cylinder for compression. The
spark plug looks quite a bit different than the rest.
Looks like it might have been missing quite a bit.

Good eye!

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2009 at 4:32pm

Maybe its just camera angle, but, if you have not garbaged the plugs, grab a feeler gauge and check the gap on the plug that Vlad mentioned.   It almost looks like the electrode is burnt off.  If the gap was MASSIVELY different than the rest, it can also be a sign that, that injector was partially clogged making that cylinder run really lean.   There is only 1 O2 sensor in a Fiero, yet there are 6 injectors, so if one injector goes bad, the ecm simply adds fuel to the entire system, which lets that one bad cylinder run dangerously lean, and at the least will result in one plug burning out, and in worst case, can burn a whole in the piston.        Also verify the EGR system is functioning.  If the computer thinks there is an EGR however it is mechanically disabled, it can cause lean out rather badly.  Just pull up on the underside of the EGR pod, and see if the motor stumbles, and check the codes for any code 32 errors in the ECM.   If the motor stumbles when you pull up on the EGR pod, then the pipe and pod are working, if you don't get any codes, then the electronics are working and you should be fine.   To verify all is well, hold your finger on the diaphragm of the EGR pod, and use your other hand to slowly rev the engine to about 3000 and hold it there.   You should feel the diaphragm pull up on its own.   If it doesn't you need to either get a chip to disable the computer from using the EGR or fix the EGR system, OR as a last resort retard the timing to 8' vs the stock 10' or 12' that most people run there car at.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Vlad I. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vlad I. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2009 at 10:06pm
Back then I fixed EGR on this Fiero. I was getting code
32 and after some research swapped EGR solenoid to the
one collected from a bone yard. The EGR system was
functioning fine ever since and all the tests David was
mentioning the car was passing with flying colors.

If I were you I would simply go ahead and change front
middle injector and see what happens over the next 3-4K
kilometers. Finding a single injector shouldn't be a
problem. I'd ask Capt.Fiero for assistance.

PS. I just realized that this is the same set of spark
plugs I put in the car last time I tuned it up. Don't
ask me how I know. I am sure. Very sad, but this Fiero
has been seriously neglected over the last years.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 1:27am

Originally posted by Vlad I. Vlad I. wrote:

PS. I just realized that this is the same set of spark
plugs I put in the car last time I tuned it up. Don't
ask me how I know. I am sure.

I just noticed that the spark plug with the different color electrodes also has a different color terminal at the top... and is the only one that "AC" (well, the "A" part anyway) can be seen clearly. Is there a connection?

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 1:39am

I was kinda looking at that earlier, looks like there are 5 that say Motormaster V-Groove and one AC Delco.   Hmmmmm

Here I rotated and blew it up and cleaned up the image a bit.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
fierowned View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fierowned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 4:47am
Yep, you're bang on, there were 5 motomaster plugs and one really ugly ac delco one.  I have some injector cleaner gunk kicking around, figured I'd add that in when I chage the fuel filter coming up.  Not saying it'll cure an injector problem if that is it, but it couldn't hurt.  I want to drive this car as soon as I can and figure I can continue doing any repairs in the fall.  As long as it drives fairly decent, I'll be happy enough with it to drive it for a couple months this summer.  

Thanks for the pointers though, much appreciated.  I'm a bus mechanic apprentice, so I'm really not overly experienced with diagnosing gasoline engine problems.....well, ignition systems at least, the rest is all pretty much the same, and I've picked up enough from maintaining my own cars to usually get by. 

Knowing I that I did the cap, rotor, plugs, wires, air filter, oil change, and that I'm going to be doing the fuel filter soon, do you guys figure it should pass aircare ok with that cylinder running hot?  Assuming the EGR is actually working..... just trying to isolate the bad cylinder problem.  If I can get away with not fixing this until fall I'll be really happy, I want to enjoy this car in the sunshine while I can:).
Vlad I. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vlad I. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 5:42am
Don't bother with fuel filter. It was done in 2001.

I am afraid you will fail aircare as I always did. To
pass it you will
have to advance or retard timing. Not sure what exactly
as I didn't do that myself. But I had a guy who took care
of aircare by playing with timing while the emissions
were being tested.

Exactly re story of the spark plug. I dropped and broke
the number five plug in the process of change so had to
replace with the one I had on hand.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 9:12am

DOH!  LOL, well at least we know what happened now.   As for Aircare. Few tips.

Fill er up with Mohawk 94oct.  If the EGR circuit works, leave it as is.  If it does not work, add 1 liter of Methyl hydrate to tbe gas tank before you fill with the Mohawk/Husky fuel.

Leave your timing at 10' bring a flat screwdriver with you to the air care place when you get to the line up, quickly jump out of the car, twist the "min idle set screw" in the throttle body to get the idle up to about 1400rpms.  This has to be done as close to the testing as possible as the computer will see the high idle and start lowering it via the IAC.

Over inflate your rear tires.  I am talking 10psi over whatever the max is on the sidewall.  On 32psi tires I usually run 42-45, on 44psi tires I run about 50-52psi.  This reduces the rolling resistance on the dyno.  

Remove the air filter completely. 

I can get mine and my wifes V6 Fiero's. (when I was running a V6)   To pass Aircare, with no cat, no EGR system, no evap system, mine with a big cam, and high compression engine.   84-87 cars are not required to have a cat. 88 is the only year you need it. 

Just as a side note, DON'T put in the methyl hydrate if your EGR is working.  If the EGR opens and the Methyl hydrate is in there is will run your hydrocarbons through the roof.   The methyl hydrate is to reduce the NOX levels at a test. 

I don't know where you are, but if you are planning to be a member of west coast Fiero's we have a scan tool here, it is a one time $5 for access to the scanner, then we can give your entire fuel injection system a once over and see if all the sensors are giving correct data.  Sometimes a sensor can be nearly dead and messing up, but not set a check engine code, because it is still sorta working.  Just ask Nigel about that one.   Engine had no codes, yet the motor was running bad.  Scanner found a few odd things, we swapped out from my spare parts bin and found the issue.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
fierowned View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fierowned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 2:28pm
I'm gonna change the filter anyway, it's cheap, and the car was sitting for a year at least, if not more, so who knows how bad the fuel was or if there was any crud in the tank to begin with.   I'm just really crazy about keeping track of the maintenance and knowing exactly when I did it and at what reading on the odometer.  Plus, shouldn't the filter get changed every like 2 years or 50,000 km anyway? 

I definitely intend to come out and meet you guys, hopefully pop by for an upcoming tech day and maybe help out and turn some wrenches.  Use of the scan tool would be awesome.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 2:45pm

To be frank, I change my fuel filter every 3rd oil change, or at least once a year.   I usually see a marked increase in high rpm power due to the crud in the fuel system.  I have seen people come here saying the car has no power, it runs horrible any off idle, just to pull the filter and thought my head was going to explode just trying to blow through it, (yes with my mouth, easiest way to tell resistance to air flow is blowing through it yourself, and anyone that has ever used a Mexican gas pump knows what I am talking about, gas isn't the worst thing I've tasted)  

The filter is about 14 bucks average, some places cheaper, some places more.  Its used on a bazillions other GM cars and trucks. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Vlad I. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vlad I. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 3:10pm

What's the mileage on the car now anyway.

You do realize that the guage pod is not original on this car, right? I was the one who swapped it.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 3:14pm

I was going to mention that and actually forgot, 85GT's never had the 180kph speedo always the 140kph and non back lit clusters.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
fierowned View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fierowned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 1:22am
It reads 263,000 if I remember correctly, in the 260's for sure.  And I agree with Capt Fiero, it seems everyone and their dog forgets/neglects to change fuel filters, for the money it costs you, why not do it once every year? 

Vlad, do you remember roughly what the mileage was when you swapped the cluster and what the current cluster was at when you put it in?

Vlad I. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vlad I. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 8:38pm
Why roughly, I remember exactly...:-)

When I swapped the cluster my old one read 196K, and new
204K.

So the actual mileage on the vehicle is what you see minus
8K. This is all on the original engine and tranny. Not bed
at all.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 9:19pm

Dave, the K&N's you don't need to replace - just clean - right?

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 9:36pm
K&N *AIR* filters yes.  All the others that I've seen (K&N fuel & oil) are disposable still.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic