West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fun with the EGR tube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote 88FieroGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fun with the EGR tube
    Posted: 22 June 2009 at 12:08am

I literally just replaced my EGR tube as part of my never ending quest to eliminate all ECM codes, and my high idle. I decided to do it without removing the upper plenum. All I can say is wow! By doing this seemingly simple (at the time) repair, I discovered some more problems from my cars past. At some point a blocking plate was placed between the tube and the EGR plate, but the tube was left connected to the intake. I never noticed this ½mm plate before until I took it off. And it was setting an EGR code. After nearly spending an hour trying to get one of the screws to go back into the plenum, I finally managed to attach the Fiero Store’s tube with success. The car now starts like a dream cold, with a nice low initial idle around 1200 as opposed to 1500 before. And it seems to have more power when going onto the highway. However, it did stall after about 3 minutes of running and had trouble finding an idle speed after I put in the new tube, but it runs fine now.

Even though the old tube was blocked off on one side, it was still causing problems. I inspected the tube after I took it off and it is not only plugged with carbon, but it has more holes in it than a piece of Swiss cheese. It would’ve definitely be causing air leaks in the intake. I suspect that the blocking plate was put in to simply make the problem “go away” and not have to fix the tube. I’m really happy about finally getting that new tube in but it took nearly two hours, several scraped knuckles, and endless profanity. I’ve had my car for nearly three years now and have learned so much with it. And that’s the end of my rant/vent.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic