Forum Home Forum Home » Events Section » Meetings, and Events Info
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

UBC Auto-X July 26th

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UBC Auto-X July 26th
    Posted: 10 July 2009 at 7:24am

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not just another autocross! The UBC Sports Car Club is proud to announce the SUPERSIZED "Summer Auto-X #3" at the BC Driving Centre. For this date only, the UBCSCC has secured use of the adjacent runway for parking and staging allowing us to use the whole skidpad for autocross goodness! What this means to you is an extra long course without repetitive loops! We are aiming for a 60 second high average speed course with a variety of interesting elements allowing for different lines and driving styles.

THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS FOR 2009, TOYO TIRES, THE DRIVER WITH THE LOWEST INDEXED TIME OF THE DAY WILL RECEIVE A FREE SET OF TOYO R888 RACE TIRES!!!

UBCSCC Summer Auto-X #3 SUPERSIZED
Date: Sunday, July 26th, 2009
Membership Required
Cost: $40 by pre-registration via Karelo only

Registration will open Sunday @ 6:00pm automatically.

BY SIGNING UP YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND AGREE TO ALL CONDITIONS OF THE SUPPLEMENTAL REGULATIONS. Any violations of these regulations will result in an immediate end to your day without refund. New regulations are in place regarding refunds & substitutions, registration, and noise limits - please read BEFORE signing up.
Supplemental Regulations

Please note that this event is capped at 60 people plus UBCSCC execs & volunteers. Pre-registration via Karelo is mandatory. As outlined in the supplemental regulations, there will be absolutely no refunds or driver substitutions - if you are not sure you can attend, please do not pre-register.

There is absolutely ZERO TOLERANCE for any burnouts, reckless driving, or loud stereos on Ford Road at any time. Anyone caught breaking this rule will be immediately, and permanently, banned from all 3 local autocross clubs without warning.

Please note: Tech closes at 9:00am sharp. If you are changing tires, this must be complete before you go through the tech inspection. Registration check-in closes at 9:10am sharp.

Hope to have you all out!
Good luck from all of us in your UBCSCC Executive Team.
SM #67 95 Honda Civic

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 12:04pm

It's too bad that date conflicts with the camping weekend that some club members will be participating in.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 12:59pm

Most of the guys that "would be going" would only be spectators, as it appears to be a members only event.  To my knowledge only Brian and Austin are licensed members with the racing club.  It would have been nice to go out and watch, however instead of sweating on a hot Tarmac fighting to keep hydrated, and stave off a major sunburn, I'll be resting my feet in a cool river, with cocktail in one hand and a laptop on my lap surfing Fiero Racing movies and browsing Fiero websites.

Ah hell who am I kidding, if I had the option to actually go racing, (car and driver prepared)  I would be all over it.  Oh, I want my V8 back on the road.  I think I am going to go and work on it now.  C-Ya.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 12:59pm
I know...I'll post vid and pics:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 3:54pm
Well I have my buddy Larry with some used (better than what I have currently) RComps in 205/15/50 that I may just for this event...install on my stock rims and he would bring them to the race in his car and install on site (like allot do)...and free tread:)...just need to pay for the install/balance.

I have left Austin a message as this event would be like the US courses...long and no double loops:), simular to SOLO Sprint at the KUMHO Challenge last year (or this August).

If this event was not on the radar, we would drop by for a visit, but I need the racing rush:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2009 at 8:16pm

Hey all.. Thanks Brian for the heads up, sorry I missed your call.

Unfortunately been sick in bed all weekend since Friday with a stomach flu   The event sounds pretty freakin sweet though so I've signed up!   Will be going over the usual checkups on the car this week in anticipation to this AutoX.  BTW Nice score on the Rcomps!  That would be the way i woudl go too, sticky tires on factory 15's.  17's are just waaaay too heavy, not only wheel weight but tire weight as well.  I'm almost tempted to try running my factories w/ All Season tires to see how they handle being pushed.

Cheers!

1986 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 DIS, 5 spd, Full Polyurethane Suspension, Rear Coil-overs
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2009 at 10:20pm
Cool...just signed up also:)...and I spoke with Larry and he said I'll get 3-6 hard autox days in, and new they would be 30 treadwear:), so they will act more like 50 at their current shape...but WAY stickier than what I have.  I am calling my buddy at OK Tire and see how much, pick up the tread from Larry and install...then he'll bring them out:), he's being really cool about this and wants to see how they help the Fiero:)...hope the suspension holds:)

Well the additional positive...if I have any problems, I'll have my 17's:)...it will be cool to run the stocks, you should:).  Call me as I am off this week also, maybe hook up later in the week...cheers
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2009 at 10:43am
All I can say is wow, what a day:).  As all of us experienced, mother nature was out in full force and made life interesting:).

1st day with the Rcomps, and right from the 1st run...OMG!!!, then when they warmed up, I had a HUGE smile:)...lol.  Now the whole therory of what do you need to Autox...Tires!.  If one invests in good tires, then it's about power, or torque to get to that next gate real quick:)

The pics below show the highlights of happy moments as I had my challenges.  The main issue as David can attest too is the threads on a few of my wheels, pretty much stripped, need to get these fixed & cleaned up.  The main issue happened at the end of the day where the right side jack point slipped, and if it was not for my 17" rims catching the car and the jack holding and bending the rocker panel and allowing some clearance to get the emergency jack under, I would have been farked!...all you could hear as the car almost came down on me was "HELP"!!!...lol, my buddies ran over and if it was again not having a bit of space due to above...the right rear would have been rotors on ground:(...sorry, did not get any pics during this time...lol

Now looking at the jack point, you'll see how it's bent/stripped...Austin gave me a great suggestion with my jack and take off the rubber pad for future...but I am sure this will still be strong enough to jack under right?.

Here are some pics and a vid, enjoy:

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2009 at 11:28am

Second gear got quite a workout, eh?

Brian, any chance for one run that you could do it with the windows rolled up? It would be great to hear on the video what the car actually sounds like going around the track without wind noise ruining the audio.

Thanks for the pics and video. Looks like fun!

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2009 at 11:40am
2nd gear certainly did...have the rev limiter at 6000k.  As for the windows it's a rule you have to have them down in case of emergency, as well passengers have to have all arms in, etc.

Try this vid, I think you can hear the engine better...As for my jack point, this it's strong enough for future Patrick?

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2009 at 2:01pm

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

As for my jack point, think it's strong enough for future Patrick?

How the heck did it occur anyway? Looks to me like the inside lip of the jack was between the two layers of metal instead of being completely behind the second layer.

Can you bend that outside layer of metal back down? I'm definitely no expert (and several guys here would probably know more than me on this), but I suspect with that piece of metal bent back down it would be fine.

Try this vid, I think you can hear the engine better.

Yeah, that's a little better. Does your camera have a remote mic input? If it does, you could mount the mic where the wind doesn't affect it. 

If you can't use a remote mic, you could try putting a piece of material over the mic on the camera. It would hopefully work like a "windsock" on a boom mic.

They talk about it doing that Here, or you can watch this video Here where the fella tried something very simple...

(Question for the moderators - Is there a way to embed YouTube videos in our posts here like we can do at Pennock's?)

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2009 at 4:08pm
Austin...results in:)...what an improvement, for top times out of 64 drivers, I came in 21st:)...all I can say is OMG:)

Results:
Top Times
Indexed Times
Complete Results

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2009 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

As for my jack point, think it's strong enough for future Patrick?

How the heck did it occur anyway? Looks to me like the inside lip of the jack was between the two layers of metal instead of being completely behind the second layer.

Can you bend that outside layer of metal back down? I'm definitely no expert (and several guys here would probably know more than me on this), but I suspect with that piece of metal bent back down it would be fine.

Pretty much it looks like I did not have the jack face flush, so when I had to pump it up that 1 cm I needed, that wheels on the jack may had dug in and not moved and adjusted to the new height.  My buddy with the Porche club posted this...I am heading to his place tomorrow night and see what we can do...any other suggestions, I am all ears:

Brian: Ouch! If I were you I'd probably clean up the metal, spray it with zinc, then tack weld the pieces together. Follow up with some more zinc. Once metal is bent it has gone through some fatigue. It would be good to attach the folded bit to the straight bit with some tack welds.

I may just put on the tires and drive to the next three event days, then no rush for tech and won't have to deal with changing tires in the heat, etc...think heat & fatigue played a role in my accident yesterday.

QUOTE=Bassman]Try this vid, I think you can hear the engine better.

Yeah, that's a little better. Does your camera have a remote mic input? If it does, you could mount the mic where the wind doesn't affect it. 

If you can't use a remote mic, you could try putting a piece of material over the mic on the camera. It would hopefully work like a "windsock" on a boom mic.

They talk about it doing that Here, or you can watch this video Here where the fella tried something very simple...

Unfortunatly it's a Sony Cybershot camera...lol, nice and simple, there is a camera unit that some use for racing but over $400

(Question for the moderators - Is there a way to embed YouTube videos in our posts here like we can do at Pennock's?)

[/QUOTE]
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2009 at 7:37pm

Austin...results in:)...what an improvement, for top times out of 64 drivers, I came in 21st:)...all I can say is OMG:)

So jealous of your RComps  Oh well at least i'm not the slowest, close!

Video of one of my runs:

1986 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 DIS, 5 spd, Full Polyurethane Suspension, Rear Coil-overs
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2009 at 7:54pm

Unfortunatly it's a Sony Cybershot camera...lol, nice and simple

The fella in the video is using a similar camera. He demonstrates an oh-so-simple modification that makes quite a difference with the audio.

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

...or you can watch this video Here where the fella tried something very simple...

Here's another one.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2009 at 8:20pm
The home made wind muffler, even simpler than trying to find the packing foam, is just using a cotton ball loosely taped over the microphone.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2009 at 8:52pm
I only see 3 little holes on 2 spots on the camera...I'll try to play with it, but for this weekend it will be tough as I have a stupid crazy week:(
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2009 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Austin Austin wrote:

So jealous of your RComps  Oh well at least i'm not the slowest, close!

Video of one of my runs:

Great vid Austin, you pre turn much better than I do...need to work on that for this weekend...going to miss ya for the next few events:(...have fun though:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2009 at 10:07pm

Hey Brian now all we got to do is get you into some lightweight 14" wheels or go with something like 12" diameter by 10" wide full race wheels.  

Congrats to the both of you, you are making Fiero owners proud all over the world.  (well at least in our section of it)

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 6:52pm
Some pics that came in:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33197977@N06/sets/7215762174918 9867/
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic