West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2.8l turbo?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote reidzap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.8l turbo?
    Posted: 03 August 2009 at 2:48pm
     I was wondering if anyone has thrown a turbo on their 2.8l engine, I was just wondering if anyone has done a turbo on the v6 and if it worked out well.
Bobz0r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bobz0r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2009 at 2:51pm
The Dr. has on his '88 Formula, IIRC. I'm sure he could give you lots of information.
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2009 at 3:48pm
Obviously if you throw enough money at it, you can make "decent" power with the 2.8, but from what ive heard, for the amount of power you'll make, and how much it'll cost, its not really worth it. You'd be better off going with the 3.4p/r and building it up, or getting an L67 for about the same cost as turboing a 3.4/2.8 with the supporting mods, and it will likely be alot more reliable and get better gas mileage. just my $0.02
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2009 at 4:22pm

I did sincerely look into the "Turbo" idea on a 2.8 even wrote a "Whats Up" article on what you need and don't need when doing a Turbo on the Fiero.

http://captfiero.com/Turbo.htm

Out of the thousands of Fiero people I have met over the years, I have only met 1 person that is "happy" with there Turbo 2.8/3.1 and its because he was happy with the modest power increase and didn't care about the price for end result.       Everyone else has either sold there Turbo kits, parked the cars, or just plain lost interest in it. 

The 2.8 is simply not a good choice to turbo, for the same dollars you will spend to get a working turbo on a Fiero, even if you do it the cheap way and toss on a junkyard turbo, put a check valve in the map sensor line, get the cheapest rising rate fuel pressure reg you can find, you'll be lucky to see 190 peak hp out of it, have less mid and low range hp and probably blow the entire engine up inside of 12 months.    If are a skilled welder fabricator and can do ALL your own custom pipes, get stuff for near free and don't care about the end result, then go at it and have some fun.

However there is no "cheap" way to go fast in a Fiero.   The cheapest way to get......   I can't figure out the way I want to say this, as some people say a good running stock motor is fast, some people feel the 3.4 Camero is enough, others have a 350ci SBC making 400hp and 400hp and don't think its fast.

Lets put it into real "other" car numbers, if you want to be able to chase down, the 2004 Era V8 Camaro's, Firebirds, Mustang's and even a poorly driven Cobra, and completely embarrass the Tuner Civic guys on the street, the least you will want is a 3800SC or 4.9 Caddy V8.  Both can be done by a home mechanic for around $2700CDN or farmed out for up to $6-8,000 for a turn key car.    Now you will be able to drop the price on either swap if you can source your parts cheaper than the average guy or can make many of your own parts.

In the end, have fun and enjoy the car.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2009 at 6:33pm
WATER INJECTION FTW!
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic