West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Off Topic » Got something you want to talk about.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Testing video player

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Testing video player
    Posted: 19 October 2009 at 11:26pm
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 11:36pm
Adding video is possible now with the following:

{FLASH WIDTH=320 HEIGHT=240 VIDEOFILE=yes}http://www.solid-thinking.com/snow_512K_Stream .flv{/FLASH}

Just change the curly braces { } to straight ones [ ] in the code above. The URL in the code there is to point to where your video file is.

Please keep in mind that this is a work in progress! I'll let you know when I have it perfect.

On that note, mpeg4 (mpg and mov) files will work, so will FLV and F4V files. WMV files will not work at all.

Please feel free to test here and I'll take a look at the results and change as needed.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 11:07am

Am I doing something wrong here?

This is the low res version of the "Bondo Boys" video. When I try to use the hi res version, nothing at all plays back.

I can see some promise though!

Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 11:14am
OK, should be better now. For some reason the buffering bar doesn't stop going.. I'll probably change this player later to be a bit more customized, this is a test of not only flash but of the code I changed in the forum to allow users to put video in their posts easily.

As for the higher resolution version, I expect that the encoding doesn't match what Flash can play. I'll try to dig up some specs on it. Generally though it should be encoded in H264 as either a MOV or MPG file. Or FLV files of course.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 11:43am

Is there a way not to have the player controls on top of the video?

In regards to the hi res version not playing back, it was compressed with the same H264 encoder, just at a much higher bitrate. Both the low and hi res versions of the video are MP4 files.

[EDIT] Graeme, as I said to you in my PM, the page locks up at first, but it turns out that after awhile it "unlocks". As you can see though, only the first couple of seconds play back before the video stops playing.

[EDIT - Oct 21] I've removed the hi res video because it basically locks up one of my computers when I try to access this page. Obviously it's not suitable in a "streaming" video situation with it's way-too-high bitrate.

Is there perhaps a problem with high bitrate videos being able to play back with this player?

Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 12:45pm
Well, the first couple of seconds only play because it's a big huge file and is taking a while to download. It's too high of a bit rate. It's best to use a more web friendly encoding setting. The file plays fine if you give it time to download. As for why your page locks up.. I don't know. Mine here was fine.

I can change the player so that the video controls show up below the video.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 1:02pm

Originally posted by Graeme Graeme wrote:

...it's a big huge file and is taking a while to download. It's too high of a bit rate. It's best to use a more web friendly encoding setting.

Okay, I guess I can do some experiments then with different bitrates to see what looks good, downloads quickly, and plays back smoothly. I find the low res version of the "Bondo Boys" video to be a bit too pixelated, even in the small player window. I'll try a slightly higher bitrate later.

Originally posted by Graeme Graeme wrote:

I can change the player so that the video controls show up below the video.

That would be great. Thanks.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 1:18pm

Hm Ok this is a Video Car-2-Lo asked me to post, lets see if I can do this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNjHrUFpnbc

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 1:19pm

Hmm, I guess it would help if I had adobe flash player installed, BRB

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 1:24pm

Ugh I don't have time to play.   I got to get back to work on Nigels car.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 1:59pm
Dave, all you're doing is putting a link on the page. That doesn't trigger the code to put the video player in the post. When you get a moment, just go over my instructions briefly. Essentially we need the link to the FLV file that youtube makes.. not sure if that can be done though.

Nice vid John.
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 2:00pm
Patrick, what are the settings you used for that high res version?

What are the settings you used for the low res version?
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 1:37pm

Graeme, here's the info as supplied by GSpot.

Bondo_Boys_low_res.mp4

10.5 MB (10,850 KB / 11,110,426 bytes)

Container
mp42: MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14]
- isom: MP4  Base Media v1 [IS0 14496-12:2003]
- 3gp5: 3GPP Media (.3GP) Release 5
Recommended Display Size: 426 x 240

Video
avc1
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
3:45 length
297 kbps
29.971 fps
432 x 240
1.775 (~16:9)

Audio
mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC
44100Hz  96 kb/s tot , stereo (2/0)

Bondo_Boys_high_res.mp4

168 MB (172,976 KB / 177,128,349 bytes)

Container
mp42: MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14]
- mp41: MP4 v1 [ISO 14496-1:ch13]
Recommended Display Size: 854 x 480

Video
avc1
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
3:45 length
6021 kbps
29.971 fps
854 x 480
1.779 (~16:9)

Audio
mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC
48000Hz  256 kb/s tot , stereo (2/0)

I hope that's helpful.

Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 1:45pm
Video: 6021 kbps

Audio : 256 kbps

Thanks Patrick, that does help. Unfortunately these aren't web friendly at all. You'll need to keep it between 500 and 1000 TOTAL to make for a relatively nice download. 6277 Kbps is extremely high and should be reserved for a locally played file only.

Hopefully that helps a bit for future encoding.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 2:31pm

Oh, I agree completely. That hi res version was never meant for "streaming". It was more for anyone who might be interested in watching the video in a much larger window. They could download it from the club's server and then play the video full screen on their computer monitor.

As I stated earlier though, I find the low res version I did to be a bit too pixelated, so I'll have to find a happy medium using the bitrates you've suggested with future videos.

Eventually this will all work out!

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 3:33pm
Just a side note. Android OS phones for some reason can't view the
player however if I click the you tube link it opens and plays.     I am
posting this from my phone.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 4:20pm
I'd have to see it but I don't think your phone has the flash player,
maybe just a YouTube player like the iPhone has. If it does have the
flash player then it's probably the mobile version which isn't high
enough at the moment to play the video
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 12:56am

Graeme, I see that you've posted "Cruising With John Carlo" Here. It's great that it can play back at it's native (720x480) size.

I also see that the video control panel can now be made to disappear. I just sort of accidently stumbled across this.  However, it's unclear to me what the "proper" method is to control it's viewability?

I also wanted to ask about the bitrate that I used when encoding that video. Do you agree that the bitrate of 1000 for the video and 224 for the audio (for a total of 1224) seems to work fine with the streaming and the player? If so, I think I'll stick with those settings.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 1:01am

This is really weird. Graeme, how is it that "Cruising With John Carlo" is now playing in my post above even though the link is still to the "Bondo Boys" video?

Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 1:01am
If you mouse over it, the controls should appear. Mouse off and they go away.

That's a high bitrate as I mentioned earlier. It's up to you though, streams slow but fine for me being that I have a high end computer. Most likely is a completely different experience for others.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic