West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2010 - Year of the Fiero?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote wayneh70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2010 - Year of the Fiero?
    Posted: 06 December 2009 at 2:43am
Hello all

I'm a long time lurker on the forum, I've wanted a Fiero since I was 14 and saw a red 2M4 on Joe Webber's lot in Nanaimo. It looks like I get to celebrate my mid life crisis in 2010 by FINALLY getting a Fiero and living the dream lol
I've been doing quite a bit of research on prices in different places ie purchasing here off Craigslist/Auto Trader, putting a WTB ad on the forum here (at least I'd know it was taken care of) vs buying from the states and bringing it back either from Washington /Oregon or Arizona.
I'd really like to get the opinion of the membership about which option or combination of options is the best way to go - also any experiences people have had about bringing a Fiero up from south of the border.
Also anyone's thoughts on which year/model (yes I'm aware of the 88 parts issue) would make a good semi-daily driver/fun summer car would be most welcome

Thanks for listening

Wayne

* Edit * Oh yeah, I'm thinking my hypothetical budget would be in the range of $2000, timeline Feb-Apr 2010
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 9:59am
Don't take this the wrong way, but...  with a budget of only 2G, you better hope you can find something local, that needs NOTHING - or your 2g's will disappear in transport and/or repair costs.

You'll find an auto for less than a standard (you don't specify requirements).
Forget an '88 if you're on a budget.
Get a V6 straight off unless fuel is a concern (but you say it's just a summer toy).

What *are* your other requirements or hated parts?

fiero052 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fiero052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 10:50am

The 4 cyls are shunned by most of the fiero comunity because they are mostly performance minded, but i have two in my family and i find that they are fantastic "run around town" cars. if you plan to spend much time on the open road though, i definately recomend a six, asa the 4's are short on power for the freeway.

g  

Glenn
wayneh70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wayneh70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 12:37pm
I thought 2K might be limiting but I'm looking at that as the starting point, I'm thinking something I can get home & enjoy, repair costs come later (don't tell my wife! lol) - I don't really have requirements as such (right now my requirement is "a Fiero" lol and this was why I thought I'd ask for input) but here are some "scenarios" Ive come up with
- "The father/son project" My oldest is 14 and I thought of one we could work on together and have fun with until he turns 16 and I turn it over to him and get another , not sure if that's being TOO nice a dad. In this case I'd be looking at a 4cyl auto so he doesn't decide he's Speedracer but still gets a cool first car (there's one on Craigslist locally that would suit this well, I'm wondering why its been on there so long tho)
- The "me" car: Find a fastback (doesn't matter if its auto or std) that needs some love but will run and do what needs to be done to bring it back (this is where I start laughing at myself because I have very little experience with things mechanical but I do have a couple friends who do and a willingness to learn). I've seen some that would fit this category in Washington/Oregon which was why I was asking about importing.
- The Import: I've seen some apparently very nice Fieros in the 2K range (T-tops???) in Arizona/California and start thinking of bringing one back here but again I wake up and see myself stranded on the I-5 in the middle of nowhere and think that may be biting off more than I can chew

In my crazier moments I start thinking about engine swaps & such but then I wake up and realize I'm not there skill-wise and remember this is a learning experience lol.

Thanks very much for listening to my ramble, I'm hoping this doesn't come off like some weirdo who showed up on the forum, oddly enough Fiero 2K10 is fairly important to me :)
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 5:01pm
From the gazillions (+/- a whack) of cars I've owned over the last 30+ years, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that no matter what it is, you'll end up putting 500-1000 into it to make it what you want within a few months of buying it.  Of course, that's not set in stone - and there are always exceptions to the rule.  But....   ummmm....

I'd really consider buying something local unless you nail a MONDO good deal on something.  For one thing, you're supporting the local community (), but you're also saving the headaches of importing tax/fees/whatever, transportation costs and time, inspections, etc etc.

If you're looking for a semi-project car, I've got my ~180k KM, all original '88 formula here (V6 auto) that you can have for $2k - engine is all dismantled, as I was just about to rebuild it when the buyer had to back out.  But everything is there (of course!), and I'd be willing to help you out if you need it doing the rebuild.  Or I can just do it myself (of course!!).

Give me a call if it's something you're interested in, and I'll give you some options.  604-318-8742

wayneh70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wayneh70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2009 at 1:12pm
So, an update to my story...
Apparently the Fiero gods are smiling on me to some extent because through a complicated chain of circumstances I have $1000 cash in hand for the "Fiero 2K10 Fund". (Maybe I should throw a "Fierothon" lol)
Thank you Dr. Fiero for your kind offer, I probably won't be in the 2K range until March-ish but if you happen to have something not as nice as an 88 Formula (drool) lying around...
I think I'm going to avoid the hassle of cross-border shopping this go round (apparently Fieros ARE like potato chips - you can't have just one!) and will support any local community members who wish to offload their cheap Fiero on me lol.
On a separate but related topic, with my "promotion" to Fiero owner coming on, how does one join West Coast Fieros?

Wayne
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2009 at 2:41pm
I was at Hon's Wonton house in New Westminster last week. There is a small car repair shop next door and I saw a red Fiero GT (fastback) for sale there. In the dark, it looks to be in pretty good condition.

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
wayneh70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wayneh70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2009 at 4:06pm
Cool, thank you! I'll try to pass by there sometime in the next couple days
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2009 at 5:08pm

Originally posted by wayneh70 wayneh70 wrote:

I'm a long time lurker on the forum, I've wanted a Fiero since I was 14 and saw a red 2M4 on Joe Webber's lot in Nanaimo...

Originally posted by beken beken wrote:

I was at Hon's Wonton house in New Westminster last week. There is a small car repair shop next door and I saw a red Fiero GT (fastback) for sale there. In the dark, it looks to be in pretty good condition.

Cool, thank you! I'll try to pass by there sometime in the next couple days

Wayne, are you located on the Island or on the mainland?

wayneh70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wayneh70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2009 at 5:39pm
I'm right here in beautiful Fleetwood, I suppose I should update (or make) a signature :)
I grew up on the Island but moved over here in 2003
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2009 at 5:51pm

I'm right here in beautiful Fleetwood..

Like anyone who doesn't live in or near "Fleetwood" has a clue where the heck that is!

wayneh70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wayneh70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2009 at 7:33pm
Fleetwood means never having to say you're from Surrey lol

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

I'm right here in beautiful Fleetwood..

Like anyone who doesn't live in or near "Fleetwood" has a clue where the heck that is!

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2009 at 7:55pm

Ah, now I understand!

wayneh70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wayneh70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 6:30pm
The story continues...
After tracking down several promising leads (shout out to Patrick for one of them ) the winner of Project Fiero 2K10 is a wayy cool bright red 1 owner 1986 2M4 5 speed from in town!

I tried to look as closely as i could for rust etc based on what I've learned from here and didn't see anything, it runs well and looks to really have been taken care of. The owner was looking for a good home for his baby more than anything else and I ended up with a VERY good price for it.

There are some things here and there that will need attention so my plan is to work on it over the winter and (excluding the odd day pass) insure it in the spring.

The deal is done on Thursday and I will post a mess of pix, can anyone tell me who I need to give my $24 to?

Thanks to all, reading the forums here  really helped me to make a more educated decision than otherwise

Wayne
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 6:47pm

can anyone tell me who I need to give my $24 to?

Show up at a meeting, and Lisa at "the desk" will take your cash in trade for a receipt.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 2:20pm

I saw that before I left, it's been there a LONG time. lol
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
wayneh70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wayneh70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 2:24pm
I went down and had a look and it was in nice enough shape overall but the paint's a bit faded, one of the sail panels is shattered and there's a pretty thick coat of dust. I called and they said it wasn't for sale no way no how.
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 1:18pm

I went down and had a look and it was in nice enough shape overall but the paint's a bit faded, one of the sail panels is shattered and there's a pretty thick coat of dust. I called and they said it wasn't for sale no way no how.

I thought I saw a for sale sign on it when I saw it. I must have been seeing things in the dark. Sorry for the dead end lead.
If that guy isn't selling his car, maybe we should encourage him to join the club.   

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
wayneh70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wayneh70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 3:14pm

Sorry for the dead end lead

No apology necessary, can't get it if you don't try right?

Really excited as tomorrow's "The Day" 23 years in the making lol. I wasn't going to but here's a sneak peek - it's a lot redder in real life, I think the sun was setting on it or something
Dig the way cool steelies

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 3:19pm
Ummm...  Nice rubber?  What are those...  165/85/14's??   

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic