West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3400 Heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:25pm

Originally posted by ARTIC-1 ARTIC-1 wrote:

car could go for as little as $200,an then you get everthing!!

Makes you wonder what wrecking yards pay for the vehicles in their yards... I've heard $50.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 6:08am

Now, did my homeworks:

Crank triggers can be picked up and slipped on the end of the crank, just before the harmonic balancer, providing the option to use DIS.

I actually had looked at re-doing the whole exhaust, but I'm thinking I may just look in reworking what's in place post-header already, welding that together to make it fit the new headers. A hack job, no doubt, but feasible.

I know that there's alot of work ahed of me, but I don't think that it's fair to consider this as extensive as an engine swap. As much as I'd *like* to be swapping internals, the engine itself will still be there at the end of the day, just minus some weight at the top.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 6:27pm
Hooray! Someone took the DIS (But those little buggers were everywhere. I actually left the first two alone) but I found another easily, and the headers were right where I left them (Had to cut through a couple of bolts use a handheld hacksaw, but went smoothly overall). Some jerk took all the Fiero headlight motors I see though (Lookin' at you, Arctic).
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 9:24pm

Tristan and I had a successful run out to the wreckers. Tristan got his goodies and I got mine and I was able to grab a few items for Chay as well.

And best of all... It didn't rain!

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 11:58pm

But the mud stuck to my foot wear.

As an added bonus, I also learned how to make my interior, and I quote here, "100% better."

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 9:18am

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

As an added bonus, I also learned how to make my interior, and I quote here, "100% better."

Go on, post a couple images of the improved version versus the original version. Night and day difference...

But the mud stuck to my foot wear.

That's why gumbies were invented, son.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 7:06pm

Nah, they did that to help the struggling rubber industry in the 1940's.

I don't think I have taken any pictures of my door. Ever.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 12:06pm
Starting disassembling and cleaning the heads today. Going to be measuring all possible details, followed by replacing some components (Such as valve seals). After that I'll be making the angles perfect again (30 degree top, 45 degree seat and 60 degree throat), porting, polishing and decking. A touch on the side of overkill, perhaps, but seeing as how I've already got the heads off and stripped to the basics, might as well.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 11:52am
Just finished grinding the seats for the intakes, 46 degree seat and 30 degree top. Depending on much time time I have, I might multi-angle the throat, although I'm wondering if it will even flow better, because if not, I might just straight-60 it instead.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 7:21am
Finished all valve and seat grinding, cleaned up the ports a touch, going to be starting a true port and polish on the weekend, and installing higher ratio rocker arms. Once all that is said and done, they'll be getting sent off to be decked out at a machine shop, and then the fun times begin.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2010 at 10:42pm
Well, heads are on hold for now until I pick up ball joints. My suspension sounds like it wants to become a two-piece system. lol
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2010 at 11:17pm

Well, heads are on hold for now until I pick up ball joints.

Are you getting them locally, or from Rodney?

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2010 at 12:22am

I'm thinking locally, as the car is making a lovely CHUNK CHUNK sound every time the G's shift. Shipping will take too long. lol

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2010 at 1:17am

the car is making a lovely CHUNK CHUNK sound every time the G's shift.

I didn't hear anything like that when we drove out to Chilliwack a couple of weeks ago. What happened all of a sudden?

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2010 at 9:09am

Tristan, this thread Here just came up at PFF. Do you have any concerns about excessive compression ratios once the heads have been swapped?

Quote Originally posted by fierosound:

The combustion chamber volume is very different between iron heads and aluminum heads.  You're better off swapping the entire engine.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2010 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

I didn't hear anything like that when we drove out to Chilliwack a couple of weeks ago. What happened all of a sudden?

It was doing it a little when we went to Chilliwack, got steadily worse.  Now it sounds like the decklid isn't latching, or with heavy G's, like I have a bowling ball in my trunk.

As to the compression ratio, because the valves have been reground and the seats as well, the compression ratio of the heads has been lowered somewhat (Albeit, decking will undo that). Aside from that, I'll have to switch to mid-octane gas most likely.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2010 at 9:56am

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

It was doing it a little when we went to Chilliwack, got steadily worse.  Now it sounds like the decklid isn't latching, or with heavy G's, like I have a bowling ball in my trunk.

Is this definitely worn ball joints that you're hearing?

I was aware that Gretchin was "floating" somewhat during lane changes, but didn't realize she was also coming apart at the seams!

As to the compression ratio, because the valves have been reground and the seats as well, the compression ratio of the heads has been lowered somewhat (Albeit, decking will undo that). Aside from that, I'll have to switch to mid-octane gas most likely.

Man oh man, I hope you're not setting yourself up for a big disappointment (and/or large expense). 

Quote Originally posted by Scoobysruvenge:

The compression would be way too far off requiring a piston change to correct the problem...

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2010 at 3:50pm
Anyone ever...  oh..  I dunno...  Do the MATH on this to decide once and for all?!

You've got the engine apart.  Just measure everything, plug the figures into one of the million online calculators (like THIS), and see what you get!

If you end up at 13:1 or something - STOP!  Unless you've got a permanent source of avgas, or have shares in Sunoco's racing fuel division.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2010 at 6:21pm

When I take the Fiero's heads off, I'll just measure the head displacement in comparison to the 3400, that should give a ballpark.

And Patty, unless the Fiero has the largest heads in the world, it wont come close to a 13:1. These heads arn't retardly small sized, unless you deck the living daylights out of them.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2010 at 6:36pm

And Patty, unless the Fiero has the largest heads in the world, it wont come close to a 13:1.

I never said they would or they wouldn't. I'm just a concerned citizen who's looking out for your interests (after reading a few things at PFF).  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic